Et Mortuus Est Rex

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: bob, hgm, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Re: Et Mortuus Est Rex

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:51 pm

Hi,

Standings so far:

• Dr.Deeb 5/6
    Tigran 2.4n x64 4/6
    Patzer 3.80 3/6
    Simplex 0.9.8 x64 0/6

Tigran lost with the black pieces to Patzer which was a surprise for me ....

Cheers
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….

Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:12 am

Hi

KnightDreamer 3.3 ....

Caro-Kann ....

A lot of inaccuracies from my side deprived me from maybe winning the game with the black army ....

This opening is my best and beloved weapon I use when I play chess whether against humans or chess engines ....

Anyway,the first draw since I started this crusade ....

Cheers,
Dr.D

_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….

Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:07 pm

Hi,

Just finished my game with KnightDreamer 3.3 with the white pieces and playing the vicious Larsen-Nimzowitsch attack ....

KnightDreamer during the whole game had no clue what's is going on while I attacked his king in an opposite castle middle game and didn't give him the slightest opportunity to counter play ....

I guess a poor king safety is the main reason for that ....

Anyways,here is the game followed by the current standings so far ....

• Dr.Deeb 6.5/8
    Tigran 2.4n x64 5/8
    Patzer 3.80 4.5/8
    KnighDreamer 3.3 4/8
    Simplex 0.9.8 x64 0/8

Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:11 pm

And the chess engine that crushed the human in 2 games :

CT800 1.40 x64

Extremely optimized and balanced chess engine which absolutely earned his position as a 2400 Elo playing monster in the CRLL rating list ....

BTW,in the second game both sides made several ?? moves but as they say the one that makes the last mistake loses the game ....
  • CT800 1.40 x64 8/10
    Dr.Deeb 6.5/10
    Tigran 2.4n x64 6/10
    Patzer 3.80 5.5/10
    KnighDreamer 3.3 4/10
    Simplex 0.9.8 x64 0/10

Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:34 am

Hi

I've decided to include Patzer Leiden that was sent to me by Frank ....

Let's see haw it fares with the other engines .....

Cheers,
Dr.D

Ras
Full name: Rasmus Althoff

Post by Ras » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:16 am

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:11 pm

CT800 1.40 x64
Nice games! With the first one, I think you could have continued the game with 32. ... Rb8 where White has advantage, but I'm not sure whether this is already won at that level. The second one shows a major weakness of the engine when it comes to king attacks. I've tried many things with king danger zones, but so far, none of that increased the overall strength. The workaround is getting some centre control instead, but where that fails, loss is likely.

What makes this engine a bit special for human play is that it's designed to play humans, not other engines. That's why it doesn't like to trade down for no reason since a full board invites more human tactical errors. It also doesn't like closed centres because that's a well known human strategy against computers. The small internal opening book (23k moves, 13k positions) favours variety over strength, intended to play at club level.

If you throttle the node rate to about 30 kNPS (in the UCI options) and set the hashtables to their minimum of 1 MB, the engine is very close to the actual dedicated unit with the Cortex-M4 microcontroller.
Rasmus Althoff
https://www.ct800.net

Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:31 am

Ras wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:16 am
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:11 pm

CT800 1.40 x64
Nice games! With the first one, I think you could have continued the game with 32. ... Rb8 where White has advantage, but I'm not sure whether this is already won at that level. The second one shows a major weakness of the engine when it comes to king attacks. I've tried many things with king danger zones, but so far, none of that increased the overall strength. The workaround is getting some centre control instead, but where that fails, loss is likely.

What makes this engine a bit special for human play is that it's designed to play humans, not other engines. That's why it doesn't like to trade down for no reason since a full board invites more human tactical errors. It also doesn't like closed centres because that's a well known human strategy against computers. The small internal opening book (23k moves, 13k positions) favours variety over strength, intended to play at club level.

If you throttle the node rate to about 30 kNPS (in the UCI options) and set the hashtables to their minimum of 1 MB, the engine is very close to the actual dedicated unit with the Cortex-M4 microcontroller.
Hi Ras,

Thanks for your comments,

Your observations are absolutely correct ....

Yes in the second game I sensed the king safety weakness so I stormed ahead but as you correctly noticed it keeps the position open and avoid trades to complicate the situation and I went down from a win position to a lost one.....

I think with this adaptation as a UCI engine running on a modern processor,it's way stranger than the club players levels ....

I don't like to dumb down the chess engine strength but rather face it at full power ....

Cherrs,
Dr.D

Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:26 pm

And as Frank mentioned earlier in this thread,Patzer Leiden plays aggressive chess from the early stages of the middle game ....

It went down with with the white pieces against the Caro-Kann but frankly speaking the game was a nightmare to play :?

It's actually tuned to play sharp tactical chess for the event that it participated in back then ....

It keeps on attacking and complicating the game but in much milder degree compared to the mutant chess engine called CT800 1.40 ....

Anyways here is the game annotated by SF NNUE and as you can see both players blundered but Patzer leiden had the biggest share of the blunders that took his game down at the end of the road .......

Cheers
Dr.D

Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:23 pm

And Another game against the famous Patzer 3.61l Leiden with the white pieces ....

I played 1. e4 and anticipated 2. c5 and voila,it's a Sicilian Defense ....

I play one variation and I mean only one against this opening and it's the Alapin variation Which I find it quite solid against this aggressive opening ....

All went good to an late stage of a middle game where the queens were off the board and then Patzer 3.61l Leiden demonstrated poor endgame skills unfortunately for him ....

Standings so far :
  • 1. CT800 1.40 x64 9.5/12
    2. Dr.Deeb 8.5/10
    3. Tigran 2.4n x64 7/12
    4. Patzer 3.80 5.5/10
    5. KnighDreamer 3.3 5.5/12
    6. Patzer 3.61l Leiden 5/12
    7. Simplex 0.9.8 x64 0/12
And the game :

I'll be taking a break for now to charge my batteries and attend to some professional and family duties but I promise I will be back with more interesting stuff ....

Cheers,
Dr.D

Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:09 pm

So I am back again with more interesting stuff I hope ....

A games against Gosu 0.16 with the black pieces and the Old Indian Defense ....

An equal position from the start of the middle game with changing the queens and on e of the rocks ....

So what a 2400 chess engine can do to beat me here ?

The answer is not much and hence my discussion with Larry about how I hold these chess engines which are supposed to be equal to the ones that Kasparov played running on nowadays hardware ....

I answered him in another thread that my opinion is that Kasparov went to complicate the position against the chess engine and then even him,one of the best players the world had known is not immune to be blown away tactically ....

I want just to notice that even though that the position seems deadly equal,you can still make a weak move and lose the game especially with the white king's position more advanced than mine so the critical move for me was 34... g5 and from there I locked the position and escaped with half a point .....

Now I'll hit him with 1. b3 as I usually do ....

Cheers