Looking for uci engines with piece value options shown

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

xr_a_y

Re: Looking for uci engines with piece value options shown

Post by xr_a_y »

xr_a_y wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:27 am
Ferdy wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:45 am
xr_a_y wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:24 pm I'd be glad to release a Minic version for that if you're interesting
I am interested, preferably an option name without space. Also allow the min/max to have more distance from default value.

Example:
option name KnightValue type spin default 300 min 100 max 500
You can use Minic 2.38 unofficial release. All pieces can go from 0 to 2000.
Here : https://github.com/tryingsomestuff/Mini ... ter/Minic2

If that work, please send me your optimized setting ! :wink:
Oups mistake let me patch that. Wont be long
xr_a_y

Post by xr_a_y »

xr_a_y wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:02 am
xr_a_y wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:24 pm I'd be glad to release a Minic version for that if you're interesting
I am interested, preferably an option name without space. Also allow the min/max to have more distance from default value.

Example:

Done, you can now indeed take 2.38...
BrendanJNorman
Full name: Brendan J Norman

Post by BrendanJNorman »

xr_a_y wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:36 pm

Example:

I messed around a bit with Minic. I like it a lot.

The playing style and move/plan choices are unusual, but strong. Sort of like how Thinker used to be.

I wonder how many eval settings you could possibly open up (King Safety, Outposts, Pawn Structure etc) and if you could implement a NPS limit in UCI options for creating weaker personalities.

A lot of us would appreciate another interesting engine to spar against.
xr_a_y

Post by xr_a_y »

BrendanJNorman wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:02 pm

Example:

I messed around a bit with Minic. I like it a lot.

The playing style and move/plan choices are unusual, but strong. Sort of like how Thinker used to be.

I wonder how many eval settings you could possibly open up (King Safety, Outposts, Pawn Structure etc) and if you could implement a NPS limit in UCI options for creating weaker personalities.

A lot of us would appreciate another interesting engine to spar against.
I can open all search and eval settings if someone is interesting ... but that will be a lot of parameters. That's why I have chosen to expose only those "style parameters" in the 2.37 release (and pieces values for this experience in 2.38). Let me know if you wanna play with something. More or less everything here (https://github.com/tryingsomestuff/Mini ... Config.cpp) and there (https://github.com/tryingsomestuff/Mini ... Config.cpp) can become a GUI parameter ...

About weaker personality, there is already UCI_LimitStrength / UCI_Elo available or my own "Level" option. Those are using a limited depth search, disable some eval feature and add randomness in move choice.
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

Example:

Just a quick sample run. Unoptimize rook values of minic to 400 (optimimal is close to 500) and from there run the optimizer. I limit the param to +-150 from 400cp.
I stopped the optimization via the option (--stop-best-mean-goal -0.85) once the best score mean reaches 0.85 or more. In every iteration score is saved to best score history if it is good. The mean of best score is taken from the last 30 saved scores. score is just (win+draw/2)/games. Every match in this run is only 2 games.

The best score goes down as rook mg values decreases even if the eg value increases, but once the mg increases, the score increases. The match is only 2 games (can be increased but it will take more time) and we know that anything can happen in only 2 games, but since the mean score is based on the last 30 scores it looks as if we are running a 30 game match.

Command line:

Code: Select all

PS D:\python_spsa_tuning\spsa-master> python -u game_optimizer.py --iteration 2000 --stop-best-mean-goal -0.85 --stop-all-mean-goal -0.75 --stop-min-iter 50 | tee minic_rook_test.log
Last part of log:

Stop opimization due to good average best goal!
minimum = {'RookValueMG': {'value': 524, 'min': 250, 'max': 550, 'factor': 200}, 'RookValueEG': {'value': 436, 'min': 250, 'max': 550, 'factor': 200}}
Optimizer_setting.yml

# optimizer_setting.yml

# Main section for the engine under tests
test_engine:
  file: "./engines/minic/minic.exe"
  name: "test"  # Don't use name with space
  proto: "uci"
  option:
    Hash: 64  # mb

# Subsection for parameters to be optimized
  # The value is only the initial value that the optimizer can start to work on.
  # On factor, actual value sent to optimizer is value/factor. If factor
  # is low optimizer will only suggest smaller changes to initial value. If the
  # parameter is not sensitive to changes, you can increase the factor.
  parameter_to_optimize:
    # QueenValueOp: {value: 985, min: 950, max: 1050, factor: 100}
    # QueenValueEn: {value: 1022, min: 950, max: 1050, factor: 100}
    RookValueMG: {value: 400, min: 250, max: 550, factor: 200}
    RookValueEG: {value: 400, min: 250, max: 550, factor: 200}
    # BishopValueOp: {value: 350, min: 300, max: 360, factor: 100}
    # BishopValueEn: {value: 350, min: 300, max: 360, factor: 100}

# Main section for the engine with fix setting as opponent to test_engine
base_engine:
  file: "./engines/minic/minic.exe"
  name: "base"  # Don't use name with space
  proto: "uci"
  option:
    Hash: 64
    RookValueMG: 400
    RookValueEG: 400

# Main section for tournament manager
cutechess:
  file: "./cutechess/cutechess-cli.exe"
  option:
    # Common option applied to both engines.
    engine_option:
      tc: "0/5+0.05"

cutechess_option:
      # Total games per engine match are games x rounds.
      # There are 2 matches that will done per iteration.
      # These 2 matches will be done in parallel.
      # Each match is done concurrently by concurrency value.
      tournament: "round-robin"
      concurrency: 2
      games: 2
      repeat: 2  # Start engine color is reversed.
      rounds: 1

pgnout:
        file: "output_game.pgn"
        option: "fi"

openings:
        file: "./startopening/2moves_v2.pgn"
        format: "pgn"  # epd
        order: "random"
        plies: 10000
        start: 1
        policy: "default"

adjudications:
        resign:
          movecount: 4
          score: 400
          twosided: true

draw:
          movenumber: 40
          movecount: 4
          score: 5
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

I don't understand what you are doing. What scores are you averaging? Are you playing a variable version against the initial one all the time, to optimize its performance in such encounters? (This seems fundamentally wrong, because the initial one is flawed, and what you would learn is how to best exploit the flaws, which might actually deteriorate performance against opponents that do not have these flaws.)

How can the mean score start at 75% and rise to 95% while the Rook values is not significantly changing, and then drop again? What does 'best score mean' mean anyway? How can you have a mean of 30 scores before you have 30 iterations?
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

I don't understand what you are doing. What scores are you averaging?
The result of the engine vs engine match. test_engine vs base_engine, from test_engine perspective.
If test_engine scores 1.5 points in 2 games, test_engine score is 0.75. But it will be reported to the optimizer as -0.75.

Are you playing a variable version against the initial one all the time,
Yes. The test_engine will handle
the variable parameters and the base_engine has the fixed parameter. In this test, base_engine has rook values set at 400cp.
The test_engine starts at 400cp too, but will take the parameters suggested by optimizer as iteration increases.
How can the mean score start at 75% and rise to 95% while the Rook values is not significantly changing, and then drop again?
That is from the result of 2 a game match. 1.5/2 or 0.75. It is in the beginning of the iteration so there is nothing to average.
Initially their parameters are close at 400cp, so anything can happen in that 2 game match. That number of games
in a match is settable, and in this particular test, I use 2 games, I am curious to see what this optimizer will be doing if the
cost function or engine vs engine match is calculated from a small number of games.
What does 'best score mean' mean anyway?
Initially the current_score is set to 1.0 or 100%. That current_score is bad for the optimizer.
https://github.com/fsmosca/spsa/blob/62 ... psa.py#L27
https://github.com/fsmosca/spsa/blob/62 ... sa.py#L304

The optimizer will try to reduce it by changing the parameters of the test_engine, play against the base_engine
with fixed parameters and get the score and then negate it. If test_engine scores 1.5/2 or 0.75, it will be sent to the
optimizer as -0.75. Since -0.75 is better than the current_score which is 1.0 (according to optimizer as it is a minimizer),
it will be saved in the best_score history. As iteration increases, the entries in the best_score history also increases.
If there are only 10 scores there, we will get the mean from that 10 scores.

There is also another score history tracking, we call it all_score history because it will save whatever score there is in every iteration.
So we have best_score and all_score histories. At the beginning the current_score was 1.0, once there are score histories, its value will be
the mean of the all_score history.

current_score = mean(all_score) from the last 30 scores or available number of scores in the all_score history.
https://github.com/fsmosca/spsa/blob/62 ... sa.py#L301

The best_score history will be updated if the -(engine_vs_engine_match_score) <= current_score.
https://github.com/fsmosca/spsa/blob/62 ... sa.py#L456
xr_a_y

Post by xr_a_y »

When I try this with SPSA or PSO or try to optimize any search param I am using 300 games of 1 or 2 sec. This is already a very very noisy result. I really doubt you can achieve something with only 2 games.

Using simply PSO I am able to get not crazy values with some hundred of such iteration but the process is really to slow ...
xr_a_y

Post by xr_a_y »

I'm sorry, I had to repatch this 2.38 again, another bug was inside. Please update if you wanna go on with minic test.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

I am still not completely with you. Apparently the 'best score mean' is the average of a subset of the match scores. What is the criterion to qualify for that? You only take the scores of matches that are won? That cannot be, because in a 2-game match that must be at least 75%, and after you get many games the average drops below that. You take all 1-1, 1.5-0.5 and 2-0 results? Then it must have initially be very lucky, to get to 95% when the results are basically random, and you expect about 50% 1-1, 33% 1.5-0.5 and 17% 2-0. (That makes an average best score of 66%, which is indeed what you converge to after 40 games or so, where its starts to forget its very lucky beginning.)

This looks an awful lot like a random walk to me. That you stopped at the point where you happened to like the result. To draw any conclusions at all you would have to run at least 10 times as many iterations, to see if the result stays near 500, or just fluctuates back to 400 (like the end-game value does).

With so few games per match I would not expect much better than a random walk, as, if I understood the method correctly, the parameters it will be trying next are based on just the last two matches, which will tend to have a widely different results, almost purely statistical noise.