TCEC Kibitzing

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dann Corbit

TCEC Kibitzing

Post by Dann Corbit »

Do you have to pay to be a kibitzer now?
That was the impression I got.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
RubiChess
Full name: Andreas Matthies

Re: TCEC Kibitzing

Post by RubiChess »

Dann Corbit wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:08 pm Do you have to pay to be a kibitzer now?
That was the impression I got.
I don't know where you get this impression from but the answer is 'no'. Donating some money is welcome but no must.
jhellis3

Post by jhellis3 »

You have to have a twitch account and follow TCEC on twitch (following is free).
RubiChess

Post by RubiChess »

jhellis3 wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:05 pm You have to have a twitch account and follow TCEC on twitch (following is free).
You don't need any account to watch this https://tcec-chess.com/
jhellis3

Post by jhellis3 »

Dann's question was about kibitzing, not just watching....
RubiChess

Post by RubiChess »

jhellis3 wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:36 pm Dann's question was about kibitzing, not just watching....
I must admit that until now kibitzing and watching was the same for me. But it seems that (only) in chess kibitzing also means to make remarks about the game. This indeed needs an account.

Learned something...
Andreas
Milos

Post by Milos »

RubiChess wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:26 pm
jhellis3 wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:36 pm Dann's question was about kibitzing, not just watching....
I must admit that until now kibitzing and watching was the same for me. But it seems that (only) in chess kibitzing also means to make remarks about the game. This indeed needs an account.

Learned something...
Andreas
Hehe, chess etiquette suggests that kibitzing should be without commenting, but in real life kibitzing is a synonym to commenting of live chess game ;).
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Yes, it can have either meaning:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kibitzer
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

P.S.
I think it is safe to kibitz in TCEC because they can't hear us (yet).