Stockfish Handicap Matches

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: bob, hgm, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
Post Reply
User avatar
Rebel
Posts: 5360
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:04 am

Stockfish Handicap Matches

Post by Rebel » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:52 pm

Stockfish version 11 is elo rated 3534 on the CCRL 40/2 rating list. We play time handicap matches as long as it takes that opponents can beat it. The first match is played at equal time control (40/10) and 1000 games. Thereafter we increase the time control of the opponent with a factor two (40/20) and 800 games. We repeat this process till the opponent finally is able to win or till the maximum of a factor 10 is reached.

http://rebel13.nl/rebel13/stockfish-han ... tches.html
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.

User avatar
Ovyron
Posts: 4373
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:30 am

Re: Stockfish Handicap Matches

Post by Ovyron » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:31 pm

I think you could achieve the same data, with much more games, if instead of increasing the time factor of the engine, you decreased the time factor of Stockfish.

Alayan
Posts: 327
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:48 pm
Full name: Alayan Feh

Re: Stockfish Handicap Matches

Post by Alayan » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:49 pm

The scaling curves up and down aren't the same.

User avatar
xr_a_y
Posts: 1187
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:28 pm
Location: France

Re: Stockfish Handicap Matches

Post by xr_a_y » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:58 pm

You'll probably need to go to factor 20 (5%) or even 100 (1%) ... if you want to include all 3000+ engines, depends on your target (in this case, decreasing SF time is easier ...)

User avatar
Ovyron
Posts: 4373
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:30 am

Re: Stockfish Handicap Matches

Post by Ovyron » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:08 pm

Alayan wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:49 pm
The scaling curves up and down aren't the same.
Yeah, but what's the difference? Can one curve be mapped into the other?

Like, play a Booot 6.4 v Stockfish 11 match where Boot gets a factor of 1, and Stockfish gets a factor of 1/10, and see how it compares to the Booot 6.4 Factor 10 ones. If you can extrapolate the differences then you can build a curve that tells you how Boot Factor 20 will perform by playing Factor 1 v Stockfish with factor 1/20 in a fraction of the time or allowing you to play twice the games.

User avatar
Rebel
Posts: 5360
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:04 am

Re: Stockfish Handicap Matches

Post by Rebel » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:31 am

Added a handicap factor of 100, fun with the known names of the past and/or former rating list leaders and world champions.

Progress has been amazing...

http://rebel13.nl/rebel13/stockfish-han ... tches.html
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.

chrisw
Posts: 3366
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:28 pm

Re: Stockfish Handicap Matches

Post by chrisw » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:40 am

Rebel wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:31 am
Added a handicap factor of 100, fun with the known names of the past and/or former rating list leaders and world champions.

Progress has been amazing...

http://rebel13.nl/rebel13/stockfish-han ... tches.html
I guess the thought of giving knight odds against oldie version did already occur to you?

User avatar
yurikvelo
Posts: 551
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:53 pm

Re: Stockfish Handicap Matches

Post by yurikvelo » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:53 am

What is definition of "able to win"?
Win match or a single game?

User avatar
Rebel
Posts: 5360
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:04 am

Re: Stockfish Handicap Matches

Post by Rebel » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:19 pm

yurikvelo wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:53 am
What is definition of "able to win"?
Win match or a single game?
Match.
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.

User avatar
Rebel
Posts: 5360
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:04 am

Re: Stockfish Handicap Matches

Post by Rebel » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:20 pm

chrisw wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:40 am
Rebel wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:31 am
Added a handicap factor of 100, fun with the known names of the past and/or former rating list leaders and world champions.

Progress has been amazing...

http://rebel13.nl/rebel13/stockfish-han ... tches.html
I guess the thought of giving knight odds against oldie version did already occur to you?
Would be fun also.
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.

Post Reply