New Download Website For Computer Chess (?)

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Glarean
Full name: Walter Eigenmann

New Download Website For Computer Chess (?)

Post by Glarean »

In the international computer chess scene I miss a freely accessible, non-commercial and constantly updated download website for new freeware programs.
At the moment I only know this one https://chessengines.blogspot.com/ This "diary" is ok, but in my opinion the download is too restricted (keyword "rapidu"...)

My vision for a new platform:
  • Completely free for the users
  • Instant download access, no advertising restrictions
  • Update every 2nd or 3rd day
  • Constant update from 50-100 "living" engines
  • No commercial engines (e.g. Komodo), possibly links to the official website
  • No semi-private engines (e.g. Eman), possibly links to the official website
  • 3 latest versions of each engine
  • A bit of additional infotainment (keywords about the engines and the programmers, smaller engine tournaments, interesting chess puzzles in between, and much more)
There would certainly be more good ideas for such a website. For example small reviews of free GUI's, or other engine tools, or small interviews with programmers etc. etc.

I could provide a little bit of working time and enough website space.

It would definitely have to be a long term project.

Next year I will be retired, so I would like to spend some more time on computer chess ;-)

Maybe I can find 1 or 2 serious people who will help me?
But maybe such a download project is completely unnecessary - opinions?

Greetings from Switzerland: Walter

Graham Banks

Re: New Download Website For Computer Chess (?)

Post by Graham Banks »

gbanksnz at gmail.com
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Graham, this link gives me a blocked page from Nortons. In fact I've seen a few others recently where
engines are posted on download sites. Maybe there's a better place for these engines to be shared?

I suspect these sites get blocked because of other doubtful files being share on them, but that's
just a guess.

Andrew
Glarean

Post by Glarean »

Thanks for the link, Graham.
But I personally have some reservations:
- Strong engines are missing (e.g. the strongest Stockfish clones a.o.)
- The page does not contain any references to other engine-tools
- Yes, an informative site, but also a bit "bureaucratic". For my taste, it lacks a bit of infotainment...

But if there's no need for more, that's fine...

Regards: Walter

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Glarean wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:55 am In the international computer chess scene I miss a freely accessible, non-commercial and constantly updated download website for new freeware programs.
At the moment I only know this one https://chessengines.blogspot.com/ This "diary" is ok, but in my opinion the download is too restricted (keyword "rapidu"...)

My vision for a new platform:

<snip>
  • No semi-private engines (e.g. Eman), possibly links to the official website
<snip>
Walter,

What is "semi-private" - sounds a lot like "being a little bit pregnant", i.e, it is not possible - either your engine is either private or public?

Mike B
Glarean

Post by Glarean »

MikeB wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:16 pm Walter,
What is "semi-private" - sounds a lot like "being a little bit pregnant", i.e, it is not possible - either your engine is either private or public?
Mike B
Semi-private for me here: An engine is basically available for free to everyone, but it is only given personally and privately.
If I remember correctly, this concept already appeared with engines from earlier years.
muppetmuppet
Full name: Ian Hodges

Post by muppetmuppet »

he means Illegal stockfish clones.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Glarean wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:32 pm
Mike B
Semi-private for me here: An engine is basically available for free to everyone, but it is only given personally and privately.
If I remember correctly, this concept already appeared with engines from earlier years.
Walter,
Well, it is not "free to everyone", it is free to "a selected few". The reality is, is that Eman is a private engine and with that so, "who cares?" as it is with all private engines.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

MikeB wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:59 pm
Glarean wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:32 pm
Mike B
Walter,
Well, it is not "free to everyone", it is free to "a selected few". The reality is, is that Eman is a private engine and with that so, "who cares?" as it is with all private engines.
If someone is breaking the law and you are assisting them, then you also become a lawbreaker.
I have my own policy towards all private engines. "They don't exist."
So even legitimate engines like Ferret were not things that I would concern myself about.
And the lionizing of illegal engines is a disease. Too bad there is no cure for it, just like there is no cure for hatred, bigotry and the like.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Glarean

Post by Glarean »

MikeB wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:59 pmWell, it is not "free to everyone", it is free to "a selected few". The reality is, is that Eman is a private engine and with that so, "who cares?" as it is with all private engines.
As far as I know, everyone can get the engine for free by asking the author personally. (This may be a little awkward, okay...)
At least Eman is used by hundreds of other users, especially in the various online chess game portals. And everywhere this engine plays at the top of the ranking lists...
Maybe Khalid Omar will sell his program commercially soon? Like Houdini, or something like that... ;-)
https://chess.stackexchange.com/questio ... fish-clone

PS: Actually I didn't want to discuss about Eman in this thread, but about a pool of easily downloadable free engines!