What Is Eman author Khalid Omar Up To?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

supersharp77

What Is Eman author Khalid Omar Up To?

Post by supersharp77 »

Breaking News Eman Chess Engine is now the Most difficult engine to find a copy...Of Course This begs the question
"Why Is This So" I have noticed some strange posts recently naming to fore-mentioned chess engine such as
Glarean wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:50 pm.

From one of my current engine tournaments a clear and deserved winner emerged: EMAN.

I contacted the Eman programmer Khalid Omar and learned some details about his interesting engine...
(link removed)
Have fun: Walter
Or another recent post...."Eman Engine
Report Quote Thanks
Post by bobb » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:55 pm

https (link removed)

Some might not be aware that the Eman engine is free. While it does require a license, all you have to do is request it in InfinityChess " "
link removed)"
Heres a quite unusual exchange of note...not typical for a Stockfish Clone....
"Re: Eman Chess Engine Links?
Report Quote
Post by rulleeeee » Fri May 29, 2020 2:38 am

You must have an Eman license otherwise it won't work. The license was created because there were leaks and people shared Eman on the forum where it was clearly written not to share it. Write a private message to Khalid and give him your email"
I'm not the only one puzzled by the "process"
"Re: Eman Chess Engine Links?
Report Quote
Post by leslies » Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:12 am

I to requested your engine without a reply...maybe because i'm a new member?"
Where do you think the engine author is heading here? Taking the cloned engine "private" is that possible? Let me know your opinion on the matter Thx In Advance AR :) :wink:
zullil
Full name: Louis Zulli

Re: What Is Eman author Khalid Omar Up To?

Post by zullil »

What he is up to is seemingly violating the terms of Stockfish's license. In particular, see this portion:

https://github.com/official-stockfish/S ... g.txt#L245
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

supersharp77 wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:59 am Taking the cloned engine "private" is that possible?
Eman has always been private. To get it you're supposed to install the InfinityChess GUI, contact the author, and promise you will not share it. You'll get it but not the source.

The problem was that people were breaking those promises, they were going through the process, then sharing it openly, which was against Khalid Omar's wishes, so he set up this extra step where people breaking the promise would give an useless engine to other without the license.

What's the most funny thing about all this? That people that SELL their engines have been unable to do something like this, to protect their product from pirates that share the engine to others that didn't buy it, with people being able to download any commercial engine without paying because pirates won the battle.

But Eman? Not Eman.

If Eman was commercial it'd be the first commercial engine without a pirate version! :mrgreen:
karger
Full name: John Karger

Post by karger »

When all is said and done , it is still just another clone based on work done by the fine SF team.
corres

Post by corres »

Ovyron wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:58 pm
supersharp77 wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:59 am Taking the cloned engine "private" is that possible?
Eman has always been private. To get it you're supposed to install the InfinityChess GUI, contact the author, and promise you will not share it. You'll get it but not the source.
The problem was that people were breaking those promises, they were going through the process, then sharing it openly, which was against Khalid Omar's wishes, so he set up this extra step where people breaking the promise would give an useless engine to other without the license.
What's the most funny thing about all this? That people that SELL their engines have been unable to do something like this, to protect their product from pirates that share the engine to others that didn't buy it, with people being able to download any commercial engine without paying because pirates won the battle.
But Eman? Not Eman.
If Eman was commercial it'd be the first commercial engine without a pirate version!
This is the typical case when a pirate fear from other Pirates
Using an unknowable engine on a closed net with our PC is not a safe thing.