Sargon 1978 UCI Available

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: bob, hgm, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
rcmaddox
Posts: 178
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:59 pm
Location: Winder, GA
Full name: Robert C. Maddox

Sargon 1978 UCI Available

Post by rcmaddox » Wed May 27, 2020 2:58 am

Bill Forster, author of the Tarrasch GUI, has released a UCI version of Sargon, the well known program from the Spracklens.

I had a copy of Sargon in the early 80's running on my Commodore VIC-20, using a black and white television for a monitor! It was my first chess software that wasn't in a dedicated chess computer.

So here ya go:

Main Tarrasch GUI Website ---->> http://www.triplehappy.com/
Link to Releveant Blog Post ---->> https://triplehappy.wordpress.com/

rcmaddox
Posts: 178
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:59 pm
Location: Winder, GA
Full name: Robert C. Maddox

Re: Sargon 1978 UCI Available

Post by rcmaddox » Wed May 27, 2020 3:09 am

I should add that I've tested the program, it runs fine and searches about 8 ply on my modest laptop at fast time controls. It will beat you if you don't pay attention. It beats me even when I do.

User avatar
AdminX
Posts: 5450
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:34 pm
Location: Acworth, GA
Contact:

Re: Sargon 1978 UCI Available

Post by AdminX » Wed May 27, 2020 2:39 pm

Thank you for this find. Yet another oldie I can add to my collection. Bill Forster has done a wonderful job converting this!
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."
__________________________________________________________________
Ted Summers

mehmet123
Posts: 121
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:38 pm
Location: Turkey
Full name: Mehmet Karaman

Re: Sargon 1978 UCI Available

Post by mehmet123 » Wed May 27, 2020 2:48 pm

Great Gift. Sargon has a very important place in the chess computer world.

Sergio Martinez
Posts: 1974
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:35 pm
Location: Spain
Contact:

Re: Sargon 1978 UCI Available

Post by Sergio Martinez » Wed May 27, 2020 5:10 pm

Thank you very much!

Sargon is a well known chess program and oldie. It would be nice to see more oldies in uci :)
Member of the CCRL Group. Write me if you want I test your engine.

Paloma
Posts: 953
Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:07 pm

Re: Sargon 1978 UCI Available

Post by Paloma » Wed May 27, 2020 5:46 pm

I see neither on the whole page nor under Download a Sargon Engine

User avatar
AdminX
Posts: 5450
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:34 pm
Location: Acworth, GA
Contact:

Re: Sargon 1978 UCI Available

Post by AdminX » Wed May 27, 2020 5:56 pm

Paloma wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 5:46 pm
I see neither on the whole page nor under Download a Sargon Engine
https://github.com/billforsternz/retro-sargon/releases
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."
__________________________________________________________________
Ted Summers

User avatar
Thomas Lagershausen
Posts: 280
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:59 pm

Re: Sargon 1978 UCI Available

Post by Thomas Lagershausen » Thu May 28, 2020 4:41 pm

Thx alot.

It is a big gift to travel in the past.

I hope we will see more of this historic stuff because it is so much fun to play with this. :P
TL

JohnW
Posts: 182
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:20 pm
Location: New Hampshire

Re: Sargon 1978 UCI Available

Post by JohnW » Fri May 29, 2020 12:50 pm

rcmaddox wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 2:58 am
Bill Forster, author of the Tarrasch GUI, has released a UCI version of Sargon, the well known program from the Spracklens.

I had a copy of Sargon in the early 80's running on my Commodore VIC-20, using a black and white television for a monitor! It was my first chess software that wasn't in a dedicated chess computer.

So here ya go:

Main Tarrasch GUI Website ---->> http://www.triplehappy.com/
Link to Releveant Blog Post ---->> https://triplehappy.wordpress.com/
Is this really the same Sargon that ran on the Commodore VIC-20? I had the cartridge for that as well but it was Sargon 2.

User avatar
AdminX
Posts: 5450
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:34 pm
Location: Acworth, GA
Contact:

Re: Sargon 1978 UCI Available

Post by AdminX » Fri May 29, 2020 12:54 pm

JohnW wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 12:50 pm
rcmaddox wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 2:58 am
Bill Forster, author of the Tarrasch GUI, has released a UCI version of Sargon, the well known program from the Spracklens.

I had a copy of Sargon in the early 80's running on my Commodore VIC-20, using a black and white television for a monitor! It was my first chess software that wasn't in a dedicated chess computer.

So here ya go:

Main Tarrasch GUI Website ---->> http://www.triplehappy.com/
Link to Releveant Blog Post ---->> https://triplehappy.wordpress.com/
Is this really the same Sargon that ran on the Commodore VIC-20? I had the cartridge for that as well but it was Sargon 2.
From the 'Readme.md' file:

"The book "Sargon, a computer chess program", by Dan and Kathe Spracklen published by Hayden in 1978 presents the source code to the classic early chess program Sargon in Z80 assembly language. This is a project to bring the code presented in the book back to life in the modern era."
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."
__________________________________________________________________
Ted Summers

Post Reply