Leela and NVIDIA clock throttling (and overheating)

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

IanKennedy

Re: Leela and NVIDIA clock throttling (and overheating)

Post by IanKennedy »

corres wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 12:46 am
IanKennedy wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 2:53 pm Thanks for the comments.

My power supply is 1000W and the machine was built around the dual GPUs so I'm hoping that suffices. It is sold as a deep learning workstation and I told them what GPU usage I expected from it.

The clock speed is mostly 1545MHz on gpu0 which is actually the official BOOST speed. It is higher (and cooler) on gpu1. They are not supposed to be overclocked so I'm not quite sure where the 'throttling' comes in (hardly ever goes below 1545). The Performance Level in Nvidia X Server config is level 3 with a max speed of 2100MHz.
If you need reboot it is very possible your system consumes more than 1000 W or the PSU is overheated.
Maybe it is a weaker sample.
Temperature of GPUs rather high (80-85 degrees Celsius) so throttling of GPU is normal phenomena this is one cause why I use Backend = Multiplexing with 4 threads for 2 GPUs.
I did try all the possible backends and read their backend documentation page carefully, is there any difference in terms of workload/stress between RoundRobin, Mulitplexing and Demux?
Author of the actively developed PSYCHO chess engine
corres

Re: Leela and NVIDIA clock throttling (and overheating)

Post by corres »

IanKennedy wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 12:42 pm .l..
I did try all the possible backends and read their backend documentation page carefully, is there any difference in terms of workload/stress between RoundRobin, Mulitplexing and Demux?
Sorry, I did not try them for workload.
I only use Multiplexing, because
1, It is good for different type of GPUs
2, Fluctuation in GPU power because of throttling is not disturb the chess power of Leela.

Note
If somebody want a powerful machine he would over measure the power supply, the case and the cooling
system (especially in the case of air cooling).