Any Chess GUI that reads ebooks (PDF)

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dann Corbit

Re: Any Chess GUI that reads ebooks (PDF)

Post by Dann Corbit »

hgm wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 6:45 pm So what should the database GUI do with the book?
I think the PDF book is a red herring.
He wants the functionality of a database.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
bmp1974
Full name: Prasanna Bandihole

Post by bmp1974 »

Dann Corbit wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 9:04 pm
hgm wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 6:45 pm So what should the database GUI do with the book?
Studying an chess ebook alongside a board has many benefits as I have experienced using Chess Study app in android phones. But phone has its own limitations (Tablets are much better). In PCs also one can analyze while reading a position or analyzing, record moves as we play it on the board etc.
I tried in PC using bluestacks but not all PDF ebooks opens. I guess it has some bugs.
phhnguyen
Full name: Nguyen Hong Pham

Post by phhnguyen »

bmp1974 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 10:28 am
Dann Corbit wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 9:04 pm
Studying an chess ebook alongside a board has many benefits as I have experienced using Chess Study app in android phones. But phone has its own limitations (Tablets are much better). In PCs also one can analyze while reading a position or analyzing, record moves as we play it on the board etc.
I tried in PC using bluestacks but not all PDF ebooks opens. I guess it has some bugs.
I guess that app has a set of PGN games that comes with some known chess books. Look like users have to find and open games manually when studying those books. It can't help with new chess books.

I think we can do better: auto recognizes chess boards from images and parses moves out from the text.

However, IMO, the benefit still a question since PDF files may bring too much trouble. The built-in format or HTML books are much easier and safer to work with.
https://banksiagui.com
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
hafni
Full name: Hafni Rojo

Post by hafni »

ChessPDFBrowser (programmed in JAVA from Spain) can scan a PDF and return a list of games.

You can get it at : https://sourceforge.net/projects/chesspdfbrowser1/

Hafni
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

I tried the pdf pgn scanner.
I read the first file in my Arves PDF folder.
It found 16 games.
For every game it said "Failed to find first move"

I would have to say it is not ready for prime time.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

Welcome to the future. As PC usage dies and mobile usage rises, we see more and more that development in all areas is moving into Apps, and that the fastest way to do something is to get a Tablet and install the App, or get a Tablet and use the PC alongside it for things the tablet can't do (like running PC software.) No Android or another Mobile OS Emulator has come close to just getting a Tablet (or... using your cellphone.)
hafni
Full name: Hafni Rojo

Post by hafni »

----------------------------------------------------------
I tried the pdf pgn scanner.
I read the first file in my Arves PDF folder.
It found 16 games.
For every game it said "Failed to find first move"
----------------------------------------------------------

Well, if it`s a full game, say from move 1 to end, without figurines, it's ok.

Your problem - "Failed to find first move" - is because the PDF has a diagram (the utility can't read that!)
and you must set the position first, and the following moves make sense.

Obviously, there are not magic solutions, personally i get the whole game from a database (because the possible typos and the time is roughly the same), for setting the diagram's position i use a Russian program called Kvetka (www.kvetka.org) who is perfect because you can have the PDF or whatever format and the program's board in the same screen.

Hafni