Analysing chess games automatically

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

swissman
Full name: Kurt Utzinger

Analysing chess games automatically

Post by swissman »

Hi chessfriends

Is there a program or tool that can be used to automatically analyze chess games with variants and meaningful comments?

Regards
Kurt
Nordlandia

Re: Analysing chess games automatically

Post by Nordlandia »

swissman

Post by swissman »

Nordlandia wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:28 pm I know a couple.

https://lichess.org/paste

https://chessgame-analyzer.creatica.org/
In the meantime I have tested

- Arena 3.5 GUI
- ChessBase 14 GUI
- Chess Game Analyzer (Tool) https://www.chessprogramming.org/Ferdinand_Mosca
- Creatica Chess Game Analyzer for MS Windows by Arkadi Poliakevitch
- Deep Shredder GUI
- Fritz 17 GUI
- Hiarcs Chess Explorer GUI
- LiChess GUI
- SCID

and found that none of the above GUI's / tools give chess beginners much help in learning better chess; the annotated comments are of almost no use. But all the tested programs/tools are suitable to find tactical blunders whereby the quality of the analysis depends on the engine used. But one thing is for sure: the Creatica Chess Game Analyzer for MS Windows by Arkadi Poliakevitch is the very best of all considering how fast it works (I guess at least 10 x faster than any other chess game analyzer).
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

Don't forget to take a look at decodechess.com
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by swissman »

AdminX wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:55 am Don't forget to take a look at decodechess.com
Never heard of DecodChess before but it seems to be a great project. For my purposes I need an output (PGN) of the analysed DecodeChess game. I suspect that this feature is missing.
daniel71

Post by daniel71 »

I like using the Chessbase analysis feature in Fritz, I use 10 minutes a move and leave it overnight. I just purchased Fritz 17 and Powerbook 2020 and just got the full 6-piece Syzygy Tablebases downloaded so I can look at how the new Fritz 17 GUI will analyze my games. I would expect Komodo to do very well to analyze and I'm waiting on Komodo 14 to buy. Download Stockfish as a second opinion.
swissman

Post by swissman »

daniel71 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:18 pm I like using the Chessbase analysis feature in Fritz, I use 10 minutes a move and leave it overnight. I just purchased Fritz 17 and Powerbook 2020 and just got the full 6-piece Syzygy Tablebases downloaded so I can look at how the new Fritz 17 GUI will analyze my games. I would expect Komodo to do very well to analyze and I'm waiting on Komodo 14 to buy. Download Stockfish as a second opinion.
The problem I am talking about is that such analysis contain only blunders and better variations but give nothing helpful for people to learn something why move x is stronger than move y.
Ponti

Post by Ponti »

Such a tool does not exist.
I'm a long-time user of Fritz - but it is a matter of taste IMHO - though it is not perfect and requires a lot of human intervention to become useful.
There's no replacement for analysing with a master, if that is what you mean... he/she can spot your weaknesses and show you the plans in a given position, or tell you the ideas behind a specific endgame position. At least in 2020 there's no program that analyses this way.
Most of the plans in the middlegame are given by the pawn structure, for exemple. I dont't know any program that tells you when you have to play for the minority attack, gives you the ideas behind a maroczy structure or an isolated d-pawn, you have to spot that alone. Using a database you can learn that, although it is easier wirh a book or a chess trainer...
Sometimes using the " verbose" option of Fritz it writes some useful insights, like "
black is behind in development" , but it doesn't add "so you should open lines and attack black's King". In the endgame it just shows variations, most of the times... it never tells you "this is a won rook ending because the King is cut off by 2 columns". It would be nice!! :lol:
A. Ponti
AMD Ryzen 1800x, Windows 10.
FIDE current ratings: standard 1913, rapid 1931
swissman

Post by swissman »

Ponti wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:02 am Such a tool does not exist.
I'm a long-time user of Fritz - but it is a matter of taste IMHO - though it is not perfect and requires a lot of human intervention to become useful.
There's no replacement for analysing with a master, if that is what you mean... he/she can spot your weaknesses and show you the plans in a given position, or tell you the ideas behind a specific endgame position. At least in 2020 there's no program that analyses this way.
Most of the plans in the middlegame are given by the pawn structure, for exemple. I dont't know any program that tells you when you have to play for the minority attack, gives you the ideas behind a maroczy structure or an isolated d-pawn, you have to spot that alone. Using a database you can learn that, although it is easier wirh a book or a chess trainer...
Sometimes using the " verbose" option of Fritz it writes some useful insights, like "
black is behind in development" , but it doesn't add "so you should open lines and attack black's King". In the endgame it just shows variations, most of the times... it never tells you "this is a won rook ending because the King is cut off by 2 columns". It would be nice!! :lol:
Good answer: You've got it down to a point