Eman 5.20 - leelenstein starts soon

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

zullil
Full name: Louis Zulli

Re: Eman 5.20 - leelenstein starts soon

Post by zullil »

Joerg Oster wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:21 pm
zullil wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:10 pm
Damir wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:37 pm You won't get one so stop wasting your time... Eman is entirely Khalid's project which he has been working on for a long time- :) :)
Eman 5.20 Release notes:
Full overall tuning of Eman parameters used in search and evaluation
Full Analysis Depth is now configurable in Engine Options, but disabled by Default (Default FA Depth = Zero = disabled)
Bug fix when loading experience files larger than 2GB
Removed the two options “Experience Max Move #” and “Experience Min Move #”, this effectively means Eman will be storing all games moves in experience file regardless of move number
Merging with all latest code from Stockfish development branch since the release of 5.10

I believe he is required to provide the source code upon request. Perhaps I misunderstand the Stockfish GPL?
Ha ha, Louis, good luck with that. :D
I tried to request the sources of Raubfisch for the same reason over at chess2u.

Guess what? I was being told that the engine is private and thus the author(s) are not obliged to share the sources.
Most users simply don't care ...

P. S. Long time no see, Happy Easter to you and your family! Hope you're doing well!
Happy Easter to you too, Joerg. All is well here---at least very locally. We are apparently near our Covid-19 peak, at least according to current modeling.

I don't run Windows, and don't want to install Wine in order to run Windows binaries. Since binaries (and apparently, even source code) of Eman are clearly being conveyed to others, I thought the Stockfish GPL would require the "author" to make the source code available. Or perhaps it only has to be made available to those who receive the binary? I must admit, I don't know the terms of the Stockfish GPL.
Ras
Full name: Rasmus Althoff

Post by Ras »

zullil wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:10 pmI believe he is required to provide the source code upon request.
But not to everyone who's asking, only to those whom he gave the binary. Since the binary can't be downloaded on his website (or at least I didn't find it), he doesn't have to put the sources online as well. If he offered it for download, GPLv3 section 6.d would demand to also offer the sources for download in an equivalent way. That's probably why he doesn't have a download link.
Rasmus Althoff
https://www.ct800.net
zullil
Full name: Louis Zulli

Post by zullil »

Ras wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:54 pm
zullil wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:10 pmI believe he is required to provide the source code upon request.
But not to everyone who's asking, only to those whom he gave the binary. Since the binary can't be downloaded on his website (or at least I didn't find it), he doesn't have to put the sources online as well. If he offered it for download, GPLv3 section 6.d would demand to also offer the sources for download in an equivalent way. That's probably why he doesn't have a download link.
OK, thanks for clarifying that.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Joerg Oster wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:21 pmI tried to request the sources of Raubfisch for the same reason over at chess2u.

Guess what? I was being told that the engine is private and thus the author(s) are not obliged to share the sources.
Most users simply don't care ...
I've been asked why I've not tested Raubfish.
Same reason as to why I wouldn't test Eman.
gbanksnz at gmail.com