Is more dedicated memory to gaming chip better for Leela

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

h1a8

Is more dedicated memory to gaming chip better for Leela

Post by h1a8 »

I noticed that some pc come with options of memory size for the gaming card. I'm not talking about ram.
For example, GTX 1650 (4GB vs 8GB)
Would more dedicated memory to the chip make a significant difference (or any) to Leela's playing strength?
brianr

Re: Is more dedicated memory to gaming chip better for Leela

Post by brianr »

Short answer for game playing is no.

Longer answer is that larger nets which need more GPU RAM will take longer on your GPU whereas smaller nets will see more nodes. You can experiment, but a lot will depend on time controls. Even very large 30x384 nets fit it 2GB but will be quite slow. See:

https://github.com/LeelaChessZero/lc0/w ... ts-for-Lc0

For actually training a net, more GPU RAM will be needed, although that can be mitigated with more batch splits. The other category is contributing by using the client to play self-play "training games". These are nodes-based time controls and should be OK but again larger nets will be too slow on that card to be worthwhile.
Nay Lin Tun

Re: Is more dedicated memory to gaming chip better for Leela

Post by Nay Lin Tun »

h1a8 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:40 am I noticed that some pc come with options of memory size for the gaming card. I'm not talking about ram.
For example, GTX 1650 (4GB vs 8GB)
Would more dedicated memory to the chip make a significant difference (or any) to Leela's playing strength?

Very minimal (5 to 20 elo) in bullet and blitz. A bit more advantage for long analysis.

Definately a lot of increasing strength ( approx 100 elo, depends on net and time control), if you consider 2060 RTX instead. (approx 4x faster, depends on nets )