Lc0 v0.24.0 Android - not the right way

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Eduard
Full name: N.N.

Lc0 v0.24.0 Android - not the right way

Post by Eduard »

My original german message:

Jetzt haben sie es tatsächlich vollbracht:

https://github.com/LeelaChessZero/lc0/w ... or-android

Die neuste Version von Lc0 v0. 24.0 für Android (mit aufgezwungenem internem T59 Netz) gibt es nur noch als apk, dazu nur noch als oex.

Das ist an Dämlichkeit nicht zu übertreffen. Will ich ein anderes Netz als das T59 laden (und das möchte ich auch inzwischen weil das aktuelle T70 schon jetzt besser ist als das beste T59), muss ich die INI Datei sowieso manuell editieren. Nur mit einem Nachteil: diese neue apk von Lc0 wird direkt ins Betriebssystem integriert. Dadurch kann man keine Dubletten mehr der Engine-Datei erstellen um sie umbenennen zu können, damit man für jedes Netz eine eigene Engine samt Config bekommt. Und wie soll man dann noch zB. T59 gegen T70 unter Chess for Android laufen lassen wenn es nur eine einzige v0.24.0 apk gibt??

Kann mir jemand zeigen wie das gehen soll? Ich bin echt sauer sorry.

English translate:
Now they have actually done it:

The latest version of Lc0 v0.24.0 for Android (with a forced internal T59 network) is only available as an apk, and only as an oex.

This cannot be surpassed in stupidity. If I want to load a network other than the T59 (and I want to do that now because the current T70 is already better than the best T59), I have to edit the INI file manually anyway. With only one disadvantage: this new apk from Lc0 is integrated directly into the operating system. This means that you can no longer create duplicates of the engine file to be able to rename them, so that you get a separate engine including config for each network. And how can I start a match between T59 and T70 with v0. 24.0 under Chess for Android, if there is only one v0.24.0 apk there?

Can someone show me how to do it? I'm really mad sorry. :shock:
Ferdy

Re: Lc0 v0.24.0 Android - not the right way

Post by Ferdy »

Eduard wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:43 pm My original german message:

Jetzt haben sie es tatsächlich vollbracht:

Die neuste Version von Lc0 v0. 24.0 für Android (mit aufgezwungenem internem T59 Netz) gibt es nur noch als apk, dazu nur noch als oex.

Das ist an Dämlichkeit nicht zu übertreffen. Will ich ein anderes Netz als das T59 laden (und das möchte ich auch inzwischen weil das aktuelle T70 schon jetzt besser ist als das beste T59), muss ich die INI Datei sowieso manuell editieren. Nur mit einem Nachteil: diese neue apk von Lc0 wird direkt ins Betriebssystem integriert. Dadurch kann man keine Dubletten mehr der Engine-Datei erstellen um sie umbenennen zu können, damit man für jedes Netz eine eigene Engine samt Config bekommt. Und wie soll man dann noch zB. T59 gegen T70 unter Chess for Android laufen lassen wenn es nur eine einzige v0.24.0 apk gibt??

Kann mir jemand zeigen wie das gehen soll? Ich bin echt sauer sorry.

English translate:
Now they have actually done it:

The latest version of Lc0 v0.24.0 for Android (with a forced internal T59 network) is only available as an apk, and only as an oex.

This cannot be surpassed in stupidity. If I want to load a network other than the T59 (and I want to do that now because the current T70 is already better than the best T59), I have to edit the INI file manually anyway. With only one disadvantage: this new apk from Lc0 is integrated directly into the operating system. This means that you can no longer create duplicates of the engine file to be able to rename them, so that you get a separate engine including config for each network. And how can I start a match between T59 and T70 with v0. 24.0 under Chess for Android, if there is only one v0.24.0 apk there?

Can someone show me how to do it? I'm really mad sorry. :shock:
The usual reason we want to match T59 vs T70 is to determine which of the two nets are stronger or perhaps which one is good at ending or specific opening. To do this just use a common opponents of say Arasan, Deuterium, etc. Create a match between Lc0 T59 vs common opponents, then change weight file and do a match with Lc0 T70 vs common opponents. Then compare the performance of Lc0 T59 and Lc0 T70. But perhaps this is not needed at all, If T70 is stronger than T59 in windows or linux, then it is expected that the result will be the same when a match will be done in Android.
lealgo
Full name: Leandro Álvarez González

Post by lealgo »

Hi,

The engine binaries are indeed built for the release, they are just not listed in the release page on GitHub which includes the more user-friendly Android package instead. After your request we've updated the wiki with the links to the plain engine binaries:

https://github.com/LeelaChessZero/lc0/w ... -chess-GUI

Regards,
Leandro
Thomas Lagershausen

Post by Thomas Lagershausen »

Good News.

Thx Leandro
TL