Effect of UCI filter under Arena

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Gabor Szots
Full name: Gabor Szots

Effect of UCI filter under Arena

Post by Gabor Szots »

I am running a tournament for Devel 3.0.0a and I noticed that its results were way below expectation, 8,5 points out of 60 games. Also, displayed depths under Arena were very shallow compared to its opponents.
Then I noticed that UCI filter was switched off (owing to some past experimenting with anoher engine). I switched it on and suddenly Devel scored around 50 % against the same opposition, while search depths also increased.

I don't have a reference about what UCI filter does but its effect on various engines seems different. I'd be glad if someone could enlighten me about the topic.
Gabor Szots
CCRL testing group
Gabor Szots

Re: Effect of UCI filter under Arena

Post by Gabor Szots »

In the meantime I have found this: http://talkchess.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?t=36474, so I am closer to understanding it.
Gabor Szots
CCRL testing group
Colin-G

Post by Colin-G »

There is a section about the UCI filter option in the Arena 3.5 Help menu.
This is what it says -

UCI Filter:

"UCI Filter" lets Arena ignore useless information that is sent by engines during the first 5 seconds of a search.
Important information like mainlines and the best moves will of course always be processed.
During the first 5 seconds many engines send a lot of information to Arena, which may become very slow because of this.
This has a big impact especially at short time controls.
Also you can switch "UCI Filter" off for analysis mode, that is when you press the analysis button or "Analyse only with engine <name>" from the engine pop-up menu or during automatic analysis.
You can restrict "UCI Filter" to be used only in tournaments, if you select this option.
Gabor Szots

Post by Gabor Szots »

Colin-G wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:34 am There is a section about the UCI filter option in the Arena 3.5 Help menu.
This is what it says -

UCI Filter:

"UCI Filter" lets Arena ignore useless information that is sent by engines during the first 5 seconds of a search.
Important information like mainlines and the best moves will of course always be processed.
During the first 5 seconds many engines send a lot of information to Arena, which may become very slow because of this.
This has a big impact especially at short time controls.
Also you can switch "UCI Filter" off for analysis mode, that is when you press the analysis button or "Analyse only with engine <name>" from the engine pop-up menu or during automatic analysis.
You can restrict "UCI Filter" to be used only in tournaments, if you select this option.
Thank you very much Colin.
Gabor Szots
CCRL testing group