New Tool

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

flok
Full name: Folkert van Heusden

Re: New Tool

Post by flok »

mar wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:49 am
flok wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:20 am Please consider releasing the source-code so that macos and linux users also can use it.
Why can't you simply use Wine? (unless you've already tried and it didn't work)
I'd rather not use closed-source software coming from a windows platform.
mar
Full name: Martin Sedlak

Post by mar »

flok wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:53 am I'd rather not use closed-source software coming from a windows platform.
Then don't use it, the world doesn't revolve around Linux fanboys :)
(to be clear, I like Linux, but I hate Linux fanboys)
Martin Sedlak
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

mar wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:59 am
flok wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:53 am I'd rather not use closed-source software coming from a windows platform.
I think it is OK to be passionate about things, so long as it does not cause blind decisions.
I like Linux a lot and I hate how Windows spies on you and sells the information to anyone willing to pay.
But I use Windows anyway, because I need some Windows stuff and because some of the Windows tools are really good.
I am trying to wean myself off of Windows and I think eventually I will succeed. But if someone loves Windows or hates windows it does not bother me. Same with Linux or MacOS or what have you.

It's like falling in love with a chess engine. It was great fun to see 'char' swoon over a favorite engine on TCEC long ago. And the people who are gaga over LC0, well, I can see why.

I think each and every one of us has quirky things that we like.
I love math, bicycles, sorting, yodeling, chess, and other things that don't have a giant following.
I imagine every poster here has their own distinct passions. And passions can be good if they drive us to excellence.

So be a fan boy or fan girl if you like. I imagine we all do that in some fashion or another. And I won't get my bun in a knot someone likes to eat insects or paints using pointilism or rides a unicycle to work.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
mar

Post by mar »

it's not a passion, but a religion (biased, naturally)
make silly demands, spit in every direction because there is only one true "god" :D sounds familiar?

(yodeling, really? that's interesting :)
Martin Sedlak
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

mar wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:41 am (yodeling, really? that's interesting :)
Sure, i am from Idaho, USA (I was born in Spirit Lake, ID). You will find yodeling any place that is mountainous with sheep. Colorado is another place good for that.

When I was young, I used to fish for largemouth bass in Spirit Lake, Idaho.
There was a marvelous yodeler, named Rod Erickson, who sang at a local nightclub.
I could hear his beautiful voice clearly over the water.
This is him singing:

No yodeler can top the great Franzl Lang:

I yodel all the time. It's a great stress reliever in a traffic jam. Maybe I will make a recording of me yodeling and put it online so people can know how really crazy I am.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
flok
Full name: Folkert van Heusden

Post by flok »

mar wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:59 am
Thank you for your help-full comment.
It gave great new insights.
mar

Post by mar »

Update: mea doesn't run under wine, so it won't run under Linux
but mrl.exe runs fine. mea.exe seems to be a program compiled into a python binary it seems

it turns out that mea is actually ferdy's open source https://github.com/fsmosca/Multiple-move-Epd-Analyzer and Ed's tool
is probably built on top of it
Martin Sedlak
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

mar wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:50 pm Update: mea doesn't run under wine, so it won't run under Linux
but mrl.exe runs fine. mea.exe seems to be a program compiled into a python binary it seems

it turns out that mea is actually ferdy's open source https://github.com/fsmosca/Multiple-move-Epd-Analyzer and Ed's tool
is probably built on top of it
Yep.
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.
Alayan
Full name: Alayan Feh

Post by Alayan »

mar wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:41 am it's not a passion, but a religion (biased, naturally)
make silly demands, spit in every direction because there is only one true "god" :D sounds familiar?
It has nothing to do with a "religion" to not like when tools are made to run only on windows and can't be used with your OS. And actually, when it comes to platform-locked software, it comes much more often from "just use Windows" folks who feel this OS is big enough to not care about the rest than from people using Linux, who in most cases also provides Windows (and sometimes mac) binaries.

Most modern software nowaday is cross-platform, and having something that can work well on different OSes is also nice for quality control, as you then have to avoid some ugly platform-specific coding patterns.

Free software absolutists can be very dumb, but that's not the issue at hand.
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Actually I think it's more simple, once you make a choice for Linux you know you are going to miss a lot (good) stuff.
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.