Komodo 13.3 released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Damir
Full name: Damir Desevac

Re: Komodo 13.3 released

Post by Damir »

Hi Larry

Any plans for you and Marc to put piece values in Komodo so people can tweak and tune Komodo, in trying and find the best settings possible ? :) :)
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

Damir wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:52 pm Hi Larry

Any plans for you and Marc to put piece values in Komodo so people can tweak and tune Komodo, in trying and find the best settings possible ? :) :)
The only problem is that some GUIs limit how many UCI options you can have, and I suspect that adding even five (six with bishop pair) basic values for the pieces might exceed some of these limits or at least prevent us from adding new UCI options. We don't object to the idea in principle, it's not a question of secrecy. We do encourage experiments with tuning Dynamism; higher values effectively lower the piece and pawn values (and pawn structure), lower values raise them.
Komodo rules!
mbabigian
Full name: Mike Babigian

Post by mbabigian »

Well, we have a version of Komodo MCTS that uses a GPU with an NN blended with Komodo MCTS
That's good to hear. I figured that was a natural idea to try. I hope you find success with that model. My thought is that not only are LC0 based programs tactically weak, they leave all but a few of the CPU cores inactive. If you can give the CPU your eval function and keep the cores busy doing rollouts at the tree leaves, this could potentially find tactical problems while the MCTS using a slow NN on GPU directs the search. Easier "typed up in a forum post" than done, but the idea has some potential.

I was hoping (wishing) NVIDIA would release their 3080TI about the time I built my current computer (last month). However, CES came and went, so I put a junk placeholder card in until the 3080TI is available this summer (an OC'd 2080TI ;)). I will build the pathetic water cooled 2080TI into a new PC for my wife at that time and install two 3080TIs, as I originally intended after release. I may also have some time on my hands during the summer if such a setup could be used to test things on your behalf.

As always, best of luck.
Mike
“Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.” ― Mark Twain
Thomas Lagershausen

Post by Thomas Lagershausen »

It would be the perfekt time to update the Android Version to 13.3 because the human candidates tournament starting tomorrow and go till april.
Go Team Komodo :D
TL