Komodo 13.3 released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

BrendanJNorman
Full name: Brendan J Norman

Re: Komodo 13.3 released

Post by BrendanJNorman »

Krzysztof Grzelak wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:02 pm
BrendanJNorman wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:50 pm The point I'm trying to make is that this increasingly common perception that it is somehow immoral to be paid for your labor is false, as long as you are doing nothing to harm others...who cares?

If somebody (or a team) spend hundreds of hours coding, testing and trying to market a NEW product, to me at least, it is immoral to expect them to give it to you for FREE based on some perceived goodwill being earned by buying a previous product.

There is a point to which capitalism definitely goes too far, but this is far from that point.
I don't want anything for free.
Krzysztof Grzelak wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:44 pm I will buy this version of Komodo, but that in the future I will have free updates to the latest version of the engine. Do you agree or not.
Krzysztof Grzelak

Post by Krzysztof Grzelak »

Ovyron wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:04 pm Yeah, so I guess the Komodo team could provide a "buy once, get all future versions of the program for free" package, for a price they deem acceptable. I was getting all the Chiron engines for free just because I gave some feedback, so it's not inconceivable to be able to get them for free for life for paying a large sum of money now.

What is unreasonable is asking to get that for the price of a single Komodo, but there's probably a price Krzysztof Grzelak is willing to pay, and the Komodo team willing to charge.
And why do you say that not justified. I don't do it for myself. I do it also for other people.
Krzysztof Grzelak

Post by Krzysztof Grzelak »

Ovyron wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:05 pm You're asking to pay for current Komodo and get next versions (Komodo 14, 15, 16, and any future version), for free, aren't you?
Not me - everyone who bought a Komodo engine.
BrendanJNorman
Full name: Brendan J Norman

Post by BrendanJNorman »

Krzysztof Grzelak wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:16 pm
Ovyron wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:05 pm You're asking to pay for current Komodo and get next versions (Komodo 14, 15, 16, and any future version), for free, aren't you?
Not me - everyone who bought a Komodo engine.
Look at it from the business perspective...

The pool of Komodo customers is likely pretty shallow.

So if all of them spend $100 tomorrow...

Sure, Mark and Larry get money.

But their income stops FOREVER. No more revenue.

And they suddenly become your slave, since they're expected to keep producing Komodo versions forever, despite having no financial incentive.

There is nothing fair about making somebody work for free.

Some people have families to feed, buddy.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

The price for something is determined by us, and not the authors of a product.
If they sell it for too much, we won't buy it and they will lower the price.
It's actually a differential equation driven by supply and demand.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

Ovyron wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:04 pm Yeah, so I guess the Komodo team could provide a "buy once, get all future versions of the program for free" package, for a price they deem acceptable. I was getting all the Chiron engines for free just because I gave some feedback, so it's not inconceivable to be able to get them for free for life for paying a large sum of money now.

What is unreasonable is asking to get that for the price of a single Komodo, but there's probably a price Krzysztof Grzelak is willing to pay, and the Komodo team willing to charge.
The problem with having a price for all future versions is that no one knows how many that will be. We feel pretty confident about offering upgrades for a year ahead, as neither of us has any plan to retire soon, but I am well past normal retirement age and Mark is at least not so far from it, and eventually we all have to retire or die first. So it would be unfair to sell a lifetime plan for Komodo if we might retire in say 3 years or so. Of course even if we do someone might take it over, perhaps chess.com, but whether they would keep up the progress is anyone's guess.
Komodo rules!
LocutusOfPenguin
Full name: Jürgen Précour

Post by LocutusOfPenguin »

Hi,

i see alot of discussion about price. I think the market regulates it by itself. Often do so (sadly not always).
But im more interested in:

- Can Komodo be compiled for a raspberryPi? I see alot of different versions, so i expect this not that hard.
- Can the android version be updated? At least you should write in the description which version (exactly!) y offering.

Jürgen
Create a dedicated chess computer based on tiny ARM computers with the DGT e-board on picochess.com
odyn1982
Full name: Mariusz Jankowski

Post by odyn1982 »

I have been waiting for many months for the Android engine update but I don't get any response from developers when it happens. This is not fair because updates should be available for all platforms.
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

odyn1982 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:00 pm I have been waiting for many months for the Android engine update but I don't get any response from developers when it happens. This is not fair because updates should be available for all platforms.
The Android version is done by Jeremy Bernstein, who has a full-time job and just does this in spare time. Due to the low price, it doesn't bring in much revenue and so we can't expect Jeremy to do this nearly as often as we do the Windows versions. Also, it seems to me that anyone concerned about getting 15 elo or so out of the latest version would be inclined to use Komodo on a real computer rather than a cellphone, since the difference in the hardware is hundreds of elo.
Komodo rules!
odyn1982
Full name: Mariusz Jankowski

Post by odyn1982 »

I want to use this engine mainly as a game partner because of some great features: personalities, Auto Skill, ELO adjustment.