Need help with hyperthreading.

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Leo
Full name: Leo Anger

Need help with hyperthreading.

Post by Leo »

I have a new AMD Ryzen 3 3200 desktop. I use Arena GUI. How do I turn hyperthreading on? (Don't laugh.) Is it automatically on? Would Fritz GUI allow me to turn it on and off?
Advanced Micro Devices fan.
Alayan
Full name: Alayan Feh

Re: Need help with hyperthreading.

Post by Alayan »

The 3200G is a 4 cores/4 threads processor ; SMT is fused off the chip, you can't enable it.
Leo

Post by Leo »

Alayan wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:55 pm The 3200G is a 4 cores/4 threads processor ; SMT is fused off the chip, you can't enable it.
So its always on?
Alayan
Full name: Alayan Feh

Post by Alayan »

It's always off, you purchased a chip that has it disabled. It's market segmentation. It's all in the public specs, you could have checked it.

You would have to step up to the 3400G to get a chip with 4 cores/8 threads.

If you have a discrete GPU, the best cheap CPU is the 1600AF with 6c/12t.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

It is not supported that chip and there is nothing one can do about it. Later chips by AMD were HT enabled. Intel was the first to have HT chips.
HT is a Trademark by Intel. AMD calls it simultaneous mutlithreading or something similar, but never HT
Leo

Post by Leo »

Alayan wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:16 pm It's always off, you purchased a chip that has it disabled. It's market segmentation. It's all in the public specs, you could have checked it.

You would have to step up to the 3400G to get a chip with 4 cores/8 threads.

If you have a discrete GPU, the best cheap CPU is the 1600AF with 6c/12t.
I see. The price was very good I didn't buy it for chess. It plays chess better than the A12 processor I had.
Last edited by Leo on Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leo

Post by Leo »

MikeB wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:18 pm It is not supported that chip and there is nothing one can do about it. Later chips by AMD were HT enabled. Intel was the first to have HT chips.
HT is a Trademark by Intel. AMD calls it simultaneous mutlithreading or something similar, but never HT
OK. Thanks.
Leo

Post by Leo »

Thanks for the answers. Very interesting.
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

Leo wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:37 pm I have a new AMD Ryzen 3 3200 desktop. I use Arena GUI. How do I turn hyperthreading on? (Don't laugh.) Is it automatically on? Would Fritz GUI allow me to turn it on and off?
Do not despair. Your processor does not have smt, but it is unlocked. So if you have not overclocked your cpu. You need to do so. This will give you as much or better performance boost then SMT.

If you motherboard does not allow you to overclock. Then use the Ryzen Master Software to overclock the cpu.
"The worst thing that can happen to a forum is a running wild attacking moderator(HGM) who is not corrected by the community." - Ed Schröder
But my words like silent raindrops fell. And echoed in the wells of silence.