Tool to solve puzzles in pgn

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Ovyron

Re: Tool to solve puzzles in pgn

Post by Ovyron »

Ponti wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:22 pm I have some pgn files with tactical puzzles but no solutions written, that I want to give to a child to solve, but I want to have the solutions too.
As has been mentioned the engine might miss the solutions, so it's possible the engine suggests a suboptimal move and the child gets the solution right, but you wouldn't know and assume the child was wrong.
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Ovyron wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:55 am
Ponti wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:22 pm I have some pgn files with tactical puzzles but no solutions written, that I want to give to a child to solve, but I want to have the solutions too.
As has been mentioned the engine might miss the solutions, so it's possible the engine suggests a suboptimal move and the child gets the solution right, but you wouldn't know and assume the child was wrong.
In theory it is possible but I guess practically it is impossible assuming the problems are good easy problems(easy for engines because you do not need to calculate many move forward to solve them).

Engines do not need to solve the game in order to give the best moves in good easy problems.
Ponti

Post by Ponti »

Indeed I saw this with an easy endgame puzzle. Engine picks one of two winning moves, BUT it was not the best :roll:

When teaching children you have to tell them WHY the move is the best one. In endgames (pawn endgames) making the best routine moves (and learning them) is the best way (and easier, failproof) to master them. Sometimes the engine picks a winning move randomly, and that's confusing. Humans can't always calculate everything (and in some pawn endgames it is better to play in "automatic mode" when you see the winning sequence, ex. when invading a critical square).
A. Ponti
AMD Ryzen 1800x, Windows 10.
FIDE current ratings: standard 1913, rapid 1931
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

Can I ask from where did you get these puzzles? It's weird that they came without solutions.
Ponti

Post by Ponti »

It's a pgn file from a Kostrov/Belyavsky book "1000 tactics".
A. Ponti
AMD Ryzen 1800x, Windows 10.
FIDE current ratings: standard 1913, rapid 1931