New ChessGUI opening book - Top10SuperGM2020.cgb

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Graham Banks

New ChessGUI opening book - Top10SuperGM2020.cgb

Post by Graham Banks »

Constructed from games played by the following players:

Download link:
http://kirill-kryukov.com/chess/discuss ... p?id=45761
gbanksnz at gmail.com
AdminX

Re: New ChessGUI opening book - Top10SuperGM2020.cgb

Post by AdminX »

Thanks Graham! :D
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."
Full name: N.N.

Post by Eduard »

Is this also available as ctg?
Denis P. Mendoza

Post by Denis P. Mendoza »

Graham Banks wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:01 am Constructed from games played by the following players:

Download link:
http://kirill-kryukov.com/chess/discuss ... p?id=45761
Nice one Graham. The pic is worth the "hint" pal, easy to replicate, just like the old days. You sure know how to get the right pgn from the right source. It took me 5 minutes to figure this out with present crappy Google. I can see PgnGlue.bat at enpassant,dk still comes in handy up to this day.
From the rankings, I guess you forgot (non-active) Kasparov (3rd) and the deceased Fischer (5th)...! And it's still not bad to make Top20SuperGM.... as it's tolerable at 2750 elo.
I'm just passing by as I'm stuck in this COVID lockdown in my area and just finished doing a "one-time request" opening repertoire for an IM player here. I've started from scratch just a week ago, scanning a bit on the forums. I managed to catch-up on using the tools again, most especially polyglot and its mutants. It's still "tricky" to use in handling big database, in building bin books and backwards :wink: - no "vaccine" yet for the latter. Luckily, watching "SpongeBob SquarePants" was a big help he he....Imagination! Michel or HG will avoid going into this topic again from the nagging fans of "dump-book" option. Got to go!
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Eduard wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:11 pm Is this also available as ctg?
Sorry Eduard. I missed your post. :oops:

I'm sure that somebody could make a ctg book. All of those PGN files are available at the Chess2U forum.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Denis P. Mendoza wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:47 amI guess you forgot (non-active) Kasparov (3rd) and the deceased Fischer (5th)...! And it's still not bad to make Top20SuperGM.... as it's tolerable at 2750 elo.
Hi Denis,

it's the top 10 rated players active at the time (early 2020).
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Denis P. Mendoza

Post by Denis P. Mendoza »

Graham Banks wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:02 am
Eduard wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:11 pm Is this also available as ctg?
Sorry Eduard. I missed your post. :oops:

I'm sure that somebody could make a ctg book. All of those PGN files are available at the Chess2U forum.
Graham Banks wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:03 am
Denis P. Mendoza wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:47 amI guess you forgot (non-active) Kasparov (3rd) and the deceased Fischer (5th)...! And it's still not bad to make Top20SuperGM.... as it's tolerable at 2750 elo.
Hi Denis,

it's the top 10 rated players active at the time (early 2020).
Sorry Graham, I didn't know. I'm not a member of ChessU forum nor saw that post. But I was hoping you would say Chess-DB. That's where I got the files and rankings. The games are not that big (compared to the one showed on your pic) and needs filtering as it may contain FRC games too. But it follows the tag of your book based on latest "FIDE Top 10" (-Giri, +Radjabov) on the site - but you're exactly right :D!

For those who want to try and build a similar one, here's a starter pgn pack (FIDE Top 20 2020 - GMs vs. GMs or against Elo 2500+ for each game played) - add some more on each GM games if you want. Filter/normalize/process pgn for your preferred opening book format. It's not that hard. There' some good old/new threads here that guides in building a modest opening book.
https://www.mediafire.com/file/pqlzsf3q ... gn.7z/file
Just execute PGNGlue.bat to join the pgn collection, and use your pgn tools afterwards. Good Luck.