SF 11 vs T60 Lc0

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

mwyoung

Re: SF 11 vs T60 Lc0

Post by mwyoung »

Laskos wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:25 am
stavros wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:03 am ops i forgot i meant vs stockfish!,how many cores amd+sf to catch lco with 1 2080ti
Probably in the range 16-32 cores, with the best SV or LS nets and new Lc0 parameters.
Lc0's strength is not subject to the "new" parameters. They are only new to you. People that know things. Have known for a long time that the default settings are not the best. And don't use the default settings to test Lc0.
"The worst thing that can happen to a forum is a running wild attacking moderator(HGM) who is not corrected by the community." - Ed Schröder
But my words like silent raindrops fell. And echoed in the wells of silence.
dkappe
Full name: Dietrich Kappe

Post by dkappe »

Rather than trying to pick a pointless fight, the “new” parameters can be found here: http://talkchess.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=72854

Of course the people that “know”, know that a big grid search for parameters at different time controls is expensive, long winded and not fun. That’s why these “special settings” only come along every once in a while, probably aren’t best or even good at most time controls, and are passed around like an illicit drug or secret handshake.
Fat Titz by Stockfish, the engine with the bodaciously big net. Remember: size matters. If you want to learn more about this engine just google for "Fat Titz".
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

dkappe wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:58 am Rather than trying to pick a pointless fight, the “new” parameters can be found here: http://talkchess.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=72854

Of course the people that “know”, know that a big grid search for parameters at different time controls is expensive, long winded and not fun. That’s why these “special settings” only come along every once in a while, probably aren’t best or even good at most time controls, and are passed around like an illicit drug or secret handshake.
There is no pointless fight. But do not act like people did not know before today. That the default settings are garbage. Many many people have know this before today. And have posted this here, and on other sites, and with better settings. And if you think you know things, and have no clue what you are talking about. Then you need to say so...and stop acting like the "new" settings is a sudden revelation. This denigrates the hard work as you have described. By many people that have put time into testing the neural networks correctly.

In Lasko's own words.

"In the past I tried to fiddle with Lc0 engine parameters, it was always within even 1 SD error margins, it is hard to have many games at acceptable TC with Leela. Besides that, I do not understand what many of these parameters do precisely, and just blindly trying here and there is useless."

Enough said....
Last edited by mwyoung on Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
"The worst thing that can happen to a forum is a running wild attacking moderator(HGM) who is not corrected by the community." - Ed Schröder
But my words like silent raindrops fell. And echoed in the wells of silence.
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

dkappe wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:58 am Of course the people that “know”, know that a big grid search for parameters at different time controls is expensive, long winded and not fun.
Really? This marks the first time that people test chess engines without having fun in the process.That's as bad as playing chess without enjoying the game, just for some of the wins, where I'd give the advice to play some other game (that is enjoyed despite the losses); here I'd tell them to just switch to a hobby that is fun to them, and leave these parameter testing to people that enjoy the process. You don't want to wake up years later and wonder where did all the time go.
Nay Lin Tun

Post by Nay Lin Tun »

Laskos wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:58 pm
Nay Lin Tun wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:25 pm Hardware

https://ibb.co/Bz6RRFb
Do you know if Lc0 engine (0.23.2) overcame 70-80k nps threshold in the opening and midgame? Also, the strength scaling from 2 GPUs to 4 GPUs has improved? It seemed bad to me until months ago.

Typical speeds in the openings are of the order 100M nps for Stockfish and some 50k nps for T60 larger net?

Lc0 speed in opening and middle game is approx 50k ( between 30 k and 70k).

This larger net get benefits from 4 GPU whereas T40 cant use more than 3 ( practically 2, the third one has minimal benefit).

SF is around 100 to 110 Mnps.
BrendanJNorman
Full name: Brendan J Norman

Post by BrendanJNorman »

mwyoung wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:35 am
There is no pointless fight. But do not act like people did not know before today. That the default settings are garbage. Many many people have know this before today. And have posted this here, and on other sites, and with better settings. And if you think you know things, and have no clue what you are talking about. Then you need to say so...and stop acting like the "new" settings is a sudden revelation. This denigrates the hard work as you have described. By many people that have put time into testing the neural networks correctly.
Come on man, please learn how to structure a sentence.

You do not start a new sentence with "And".

You do not start a new sentence with "But".

Whether the point you make is right or wrong, people do judge you (and the quality of your arguments) by your level of literacy in your native tongue.

If you want to brush up your prose, I can recommend you start with the fantastic book Elements of Style.

https://www.amazon.com/Elements-Style-C ... BYCQ5MVDQA
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Post by Laskos »

mwyoung wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:24 am
Laskos wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:25 am
stavros wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:03 am ops i forgot i meant vs stockfish!,how many cores amd+sf to catch lco with 1 2080ti
Probably in the range 16-32 cores, with the best SV or LS nets and new Lc0 parameters.
Lc0's strength is not subject to the "new" parameters. They are only new to you. People that know things. Have known for a long time that the default settings are not the best. And don't use the default settings to test Lc0.
I hope you are fine.
Kiudee
Full name: Karlson Pfannschmidt

Post by Kiudee »

dkappe wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:58 am Rather than trying to pick a pointless fight, the “new” parameters can be found here: http://talkchess.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=72854

Tuning a set of parameters in a big grid search is very inefficient and I would agree that it’s not fun at all.
Still, any method used for tuning at some point runs into the curse of dimensionality - some sooner than others.
If you are fine with only finding a local optimum (maybe you did good work in restricting all the parameter ranges), then local search methods like CLOP can work, but usually the optimization landscapes become more and more chaotic, the more parameters you add.

Here I disagree with dkappe in that designing optimization techniques which work in "higher" dimensions with the signal-to-noise ratio of chess is certainly fun :) .
pohl4711
Full name: Stefan Pohl

Post by pohl4711 »

Kiudee wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:01 am Tuning a set of parameters in a big grid search is very inefficient and I would agree that it’s not fun at all.
Still, any method used for tuning at some point runs into the curse of dimensionality - some sooner than others.
If you are fine with only finding a local optimum (maybe you did good work in restricting all the parameter ranges), then local search methods like CLOP can work, but usually the optimization landscapes become more and more chaotic, the more parameters you add.

Here I disagree with dkappe in that designing optimization techniques which work in "higher" dimensions with the signal-to-noise ratio of chess is certainly fun :) .
In the meantime, there a plenty of testing-results, that are showing a clear Elo-gain, when Lc0 plays with your Kiudee-setting. Congrats for this!
My comparable testrun of Lc0 0.23.1 LS 12.2 with Kiudee-setting (Lc0 default result is already in my longtime-testrun list(https://www.sp-cc.de/nn-longtime-testing.htm)) is running and will take 4-5 more days. But looks very promising at this early stage, too.
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

Kiudee wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:01 am Here I disagree with dkappe in that designing optimization techniques which work in "higher" dimensions with the signal-to-noise ratio of chess is certainly fun :) .
And I'm glad to hear it! I appreciate your work :)