Elo - elo - ELO

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

smatovic
Full name: Srdja Matovic

Re: Elo - elo - ELO

Post by smatovic »

smatovic wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:46 pm
Ovyron wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:32 pm
smatovic wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:56 am Writing ELO and elo has consequences. When I entered this chess community I was
confused by the different spellings, and I simply concluded that it must be some
kind of abbreviation like CPU/cpu and did not bother to look up and started to
imitate the spelling without knowing better...
So, the only consequence was that you were spelling it "incorrectly"?

Good grief, they surely could have made us a favor and made ELO and elo correct "alternative ways", but no... you have to teach something to kids, and it must include a way to be wrong so kids can be ranked, kids that are more right have more value than kids that are less right, you know...
Funny, you really don't get it.

The point is that I thought it was an abbreviation cos people like you used ELO
instead of Elo, and there was no-one who corrected you, and I continued in a
wrong belief to do something right, and no-one corrected me. Maybe you can sense
a principle in this story, maybe not, at least I tried...

--
Srdja
Okay...follow-up, just to break the mould a bit further...

I realize there are kids/people who have some kind of writing disability, and if
you reread my posts, it should be clear that I do not to force any kind of norm
on anybody, nevertheless I think some kind of norm in this case is useful as I
tried to tell you multiple times.

--
Srdja
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Post by Laskos »

smatovic wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:21 pm
smatovic wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:46 pm
Ovyron wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:32 pm
smatovic wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:56 am Writing ELO and elo has consequences. When I entered this chess community I was
confused by the different spellings, and I simply concluded that it must be some
kind of abbreviation like CPU/cpu and did not bother to look up and started to
imitate the spelling without knowing better...
So, the only consequence was that you were spelling it "incorrectly"?

Good grief, they surely could have made us a favor and made ELO and elo correct "alternative ways", but no... you have to teach something to kids, and it must include a way to be wrong so kids can be ranked, kids that are more right have more value than kids that are less right, you know...
Funny, you really don't get it.

The point is that I thought it was an abbreviation cos people like you used ELO
instead of Elo, and there was no-one who corrected you, and I continued in a
wrong belief to do something right, and no-one corrected me. Maybe you can sense
a principle in this story, maybe not, at least I tried...

--
Srdja
Okay...follow-up, just to break the mould a bit further...

I realize there are kids/people who have some kind of writing disability, and if
you reread my posts, it should be clear that I do not to force any kind of norm
on anybody, nevertheless I think some kind of norm in this case is useful as I
tried to tell you multiple times.

--
Srdja
They are Imre Elo, or IE or i.e., to be correct.
smatovic
Full name: Srdja Matovic

Post by smatovic »

Okay, I said what I wished to say, to those who did not know - Elo is a surname, the rest is up to you, I am out of this thread, make someone happy today or so.

--
Srdja
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

smatovic wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:46 pm The point is that I thought it was an abbreviation
An abbreviation of what? See, using something like ELO makes people wonder what it means so they investigate and figure out what it means and from where it comes from, that's how I learned about its creator (I thought it was E.L.O. and wanted to know what each letter stood for.) If everyone used Elo I'd have just wrongly concluded it was a synonym of Rating.

That's why nothing is wrong in principle, it just leads to different experiences, but I kid you not I'd have quit chess long ago if I never made a mistake and just beat everyone easily, wondering what was the point of that (this actually happened with 2048 online, I kept being paired with people that I could easily beat, so it was so easy I quit.) The only reason I put special attention into avoiding misspelling words or using bad grammar is that in the past discussions have devolved into talking about the typo or bad grammar, and those different experiences get tiring fast.
Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson »

There have been several complaints about this thread. I do not see why we should delete it. I do not see why it should continue either so I will lock it.
I hope you all gain many ELO Elo elo in 2020 regards,
Happy New Year,
Harvey