GUI's that support concurrent games?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

JohnW

GUI's that support concurrent games?

Post by JohnW »

I know the Banksia gui supports concurrent engine vs engine games, are there any others? I thought the Fritz gui used to but it doesn't seem like it does now.

Thank you..
Modern Times

Re: GUI's that support concurrent games?

Post by Modern Times »

Cutechess GUI. Totally brilliant for that. It was a game-changer for me.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: GUI's that support concurrent games?

Post by hgm »

WinBoard/XBoard supports concurrency, but perhaps not in the way you expect. To get maximum flexibility it works as a 'swarm intelligence'. When you have started a (sequential) tournament, you can add or remove as many WinBoard agents to it for concurrent playing as you want. Each agent plays one game at the time, and picks the next available (i.e not yet played or being played) game from the tourney schedule after its current game finishes. New agents can be started by simply double-clicking the tournament file. Agents can be removed by simply quitting WinBoard (which loses the game in progress), or taking it out of match mode through the Mode -> Machine Match menu, and quitting it after the current game finishes.

You can tile the windows of many or all WinBoard agents in the display, to watch as many games simultaneously as you want, and for each game all WinBoard functions are available (like stepping through the game history), as it is the only game on that WinBoard instance.

This way you can easily change the concurrency during the tourney and adapt it to your needs. (E.g. when you want to also use the computer to do something else for some time.) Just quit a few worker agents to free CPU, and start new ones when you are done. If you kill all worker agents the tourney is paused, launching one or more new agents on it will then resume it.