Google has a political bias against Stockfish!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

AdminX

Google has a political bias against Stockfish!

Post by AdminX »

So I turned to Google to do a search for "Neural Network Chess Engines", not only did it give me inaccurate results, but it did not mention Stockfish.

What is wrong with this picture? :D I guess two out three isn't bad. (Shown in the image) :P But really if you are going to give me Houdini, then you could at least show Stockfish also.
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Re: Google has a political bias against Stockfish!

Post by carldaman »

Google searches have been steadily getting worse and worse for the last 15 years or so. Perfectly relevant results simply do not show up in searches. An information bias, perhaps? :|
Angrim
Full name: Ben Nye

Post by Angrim »

Just in case this wasn't some odd form of humor, I would like to point out that Stockfish doesn't use neural networks.
And the first actual search result is "Stockfish Wins Computer Chess Championship As Neural Networks Play Catch-Up"
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

Angrim wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:41 pm Just in case this wasn't some odd form of humor, I would like to point out that Stockfish doesn't use neural networks.
And the first actual search result is "Stockfish Wins Computer Chess Championship As Neural Networks Play Catch-Up"
I know right! At least Komodo has a not yet released (NN) version, but not so for Houdini and if you are going to mention Houdini, then might as well include Stockfish. :D
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."
Full name: Andy!

Post by the_real_greco »

AdminX wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:08 pm
Angrim wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:41 pm Just in case this wasn't some odd form of humor, I would like to point out that Stockfish doesn't use neural networks.
I know right! At least Komodo has a not yet released (NN) version, but not so for Houdini and if you are going to mention Houdini, then might as well include Stockfish. :D
Maybe they know something about the mythical HoudiNNi.
Nay Lin Tun

Post by Nay Lin Tun »

AdminX wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:36 am So I turned to Google to do a search for "Neural Network Chess Engines", not only did it give me inaccurate results, but it did not mention Stockfish.

What is wrong with this picture? :D I guess two out three isn't bad. (Shown in the image) :P But really if you are going to give me Houdini, then you could at least show Stockfish also.
Google search is related to what people "searched before". In TCEC chat there were a lot of expectations about Houdini NN and Komodo NN. People dont chat about Stockfish NN cos SF programmers confirmed that there wont be SF NN.

Similar question was asked to Google CEO before "why images of Trump appeared when people search idiot"?.
Answer is " it is related to other people's search history"
shrapnel

Post by shrapnel »

the_real_greco wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:21 amMaybe they know something about the mythical HoudiNNi.
Yeah, anyone who rules out ol' Houdart does so at his own peril.
I wouldn't put it past him to pull out an NN version of Houdini out of his Hat and take the computer chess world by storm ! :)
i7 5960X @ 4.1 Ghz, 64 GB G.Skill RipJaws RAM, Twin Asus ROG Strix OC 11 GB Geforce 2080 Tis
jp

Post by jp »

carldaman wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:48 am Google searches have been steadily getting worse and worse for the last 15 years or so. Perfectly relevant results simply do not show up in searches.
Do you have a solution for this, e.g. another search engine? (Bing is terrible in my experience.)
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

jp wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:47 pm Do you have a solution for this, e.g. another search engine? (Bing is terrible in my experience.)
No.

I used to recommend Dogpile, at least there were search terms that returned better results than DuckDuckGo and Google. Then from one day to the next they did something, and its results weren't relevant anymore, with Google beating it most of the time :(

Instead, I'm going to tell a little secret about why Google results have become so poor: it's been powered by their AI, who instead of searching for your query, analyzes it and tries to extract and guess what you're looking for. They're even proud of their personalized results, and claim that their AI can tell the difference between users looking for "apple" (the fruit) and "Apple" (the brand) and show different relevant results for people even if the words look the same.

Surprisingly this works great for many subjects, and I've been able to find what I'm looking for in pages that appear at the top despite not having any of the terms I searched for. It's when you're looking for something very specific and the AI makes a wrong guess that your result will be buried by useless crap you don't care about (but that may be what other people using those search terms might be looking for.)

The little secret is that you can force their AI to look at your query by enclosing every single word in quotes!

So, what happens then?

Stockfish becomes the second top result! :)

Google Search is still the best.
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Post by Laskos »

Nay Lin Tun wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:49 am .

Similar question was asked to Google CEO before "why images of Trump appeared when people search idiot"?.
Answer is " it is related to other people's search history"
So, people initially inserted "idiot" in hope for finding Trump, and as initially, before Trump becoming a candidate for POTUS, Trump wasn't appearing anywhere, they had do dig more precisely and deeper to find Trump. Google noticed that to an insert "idiot" people wanted to find Trump, and they started to show Trump as soon as one inserts "idiot"? That is not only not very plausible, but that would make for an "intention inference" search engine. Interesting explanation from Google CEO, and in fact a shameful one.