New engine releases 2020

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

matejst
Full name: Boban Stanojević

Re: New engine releases 2020

Post by matejst »

I have just read that the author plans to stop development of RubiChess on his github page. RubiChess was one of the few modern engine I liked, although I discovered it late. It could miss a hidden tactical possibility, but it had a good, reasonable evaluation, and its "ideas" -- if one can say that an engine has ideas -- were sensible. It would really be a pity to stop now.

I hope that Matthies will change his mind.
Gabor Szots
Full name: Gabor Szots

Post by Gabor Szots »

mvanthoor wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:46 pm I'm waiting for a cataract operation, which doesn't make things better to say the least.
I am sure it will make things better in the end. It did for my mother.
Gabor Szots
CCRL testing group
JohnWoe

Post by JohnWoe »

Thanks!
I released Sapeli 1.90 which is the smallest Sapeli ever: 1992 sloc
I'm pretty happy with the status que right now. Making it even smaller will hurt readability.
With these changes. g++ can't compile Sapeli anymore. But clang++ can. It's a C program anyway.

The next release will be stronger. If I have time to work on it.
mvanthoor
Full name: Marcel Vanthoor

Post by mvanthoor »

Gabor Szots wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:05 pm
mvanthoor wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:46 pm I'm waiting for a cataract operation, which doesn't make things better to say the least.
I am sure it will make things better in the end. It did for my mother.
Heh... I assume so too. Maybe I wasn't clear enough: the waiting doesn't make things better. My eyesight is even worse than it normally is. The operation should have been in april, but it was postponed because of the corona pandemic.
Author of Rustic, an engine written in Rust.
Releases | Code | Docs | Progress | CCRL
tmokonen
Full name: Tony Mokonen

Post by tmokonen »

Gary Internet

Post by Gary Internet »

matejst wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:18 pm I have just read that the author plans to stop development of RubiChess on his github page. RubiChess was one of the few modern engine I liked, although I discovered it late. It could miss a hidden tactical possibility, but it had a good, reasonable evaluation, and its "ideas" -- if one can say that an engine has ideas -- were sensible. It would really be a pity to stop now.

I hope that Matthies will change his mind.
Yeah I saw this:
May 2020: I will most probably stop development of RubiChess, so 1.7.3 will be the last version.
There is no progress to expect without massive copy-and-paste from better engines which is not my intention.
Also competing with other engines that are just translations of Stockfish to other programming languages
is no motivation. So better stop here. It was fun but better search for something new now.
Well, at least there is some cleanup in the making, not easy to get awy from this stuff :-)
matejst
Full name: Boban Stanojević

Post by matejst »

It seems that Matthies still develops RubiChess. He tested some changes on Andy's OpenBench recently.
silentshark

Post by silentshark »

Oops, embarassing fix just published.

Francesca 0.29a has been uploaded to my website (www.silentshark.co.uk). This hopefully fixes a bizarre bug which seemed to kick in on games where 'ponder mode' was on. Nothing else changed, so if you've used 0.29 without ponder, there should be no difference.

Pip-pip
voffka
Full name: Volodymyr Shcherbyna

Post by voffka »

Igel 2.5.0 at https://github.com/vshcherbyna/igel/releases/tag/2.5.0 (binaries for Linux, macOS and Windows).

This release brings various improvements in code quality as well as strength improvements in search, evaluation and tt management. As of this release Igel uses OpenBench as a primary testing system and I would like to specially thank Andrew Grant for supporting Igel development on OpenBench.

What's new:

- Implement OpenBench support
- Implement BMI2 instruction support for faster search
- Implement prefetch instruction support for faster search
- Implement ponder support
- Implement improved sudden death time control management
- Implement use of hugepages in Linux OS
- Implement more efficient tt management and re-write tt replacement scheme to 'always replace'
- Implement proper handling of chopper moves
- Implement improved king safety evaluation
- Implement improved weights management
- Implement symmetric evaluation function
- Set tt score in qsearch
- Set bestmove as a hashmove by default
- Bugfix for knight outpost
- Bugfix for depth skipping in smp mode
- Implement pst based evaluation for connected passers
- Bugfix for probcut in check
- Factor in 'improving' even when in checks
- Adjust bestscore from tt score
- Bugfix shuffling of moves at root in smp mode

In case of bug reports, questions, discussions please ask them at main Igel topic at http://talkchess.com/forum3/viewtopic.p ... 06#p847306 to prevent polluting this thread.
jonkr
Full name: Jonathan Kreuzer

Post by jonkr »

Big day for chess engine releases, Wasp, Ethereal, SlowChess and Igel.

I was reading voffka's post and decided it is good idea to announce SlowChess Blitz Classic 2.2 here too, since some people mentioned missing 2.1 when I released it since I re-use the old thread, also any SlowChess bugs or discussion I'll find easier here : http://talkchess.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=73420

I was hoping there was a small chance at just squeezing past Ethereal 12.00 on the FRC list where Slow does better against other engines than standard chess, then I saw an Ethereal update posted while I was getting release ready, so I guess I won't have to wonder, any strength increase probably too much.