Evaluation challenge II

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: bob, hgm, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
Post Reply
User avatar
Rebel
Posts: 4912
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:04 am

Evaluation challenge II

Post by Rebel » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:44 pm


This position once was contributed by Vincent Diepenveen and is about mobility.

1. f3 takes away the last escape square of the black knight on c3 and is lost.

Modern engines find it very quickly by search but that's not the point.

The challenge then: The best engine (out of the box, no special settings) will be that plays 1.f3! at the earliest depth possible and remains stable for 1 minute.
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.

abulmo2
Posts: 223
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:04 am
Contact:

Re: Evaluation challenge II

Post by abulmo2 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:10 pm

Much harder for Amoeba 3.0. With 1 threads, it found f2f3 at depth 26 (and 35s) then sticked to it. With 4 threads it found it at depth 25 (and 22s).
The development version (future Amoeba 3.1) found it at depth 22 in 6s (4 threads also).
My weaker program Dumb 1.3 found it at depth 14 (but 60s) and then sticked to it.
Richard Delorme

Jouni
Posts: 2087
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:15 pm

Re: Evaluation challenge II

Post by Jouni » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:37 pm

My guess Lc0 with 1,0 or -1 plies :) . But seriously depths in different engines are not compatible only time means anything.
Jouni

tmokonen
Posts: 1075
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:46 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Evaluation challenge II

Post by tmokonen » Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:22 am

Hermann 2.8, on an old non-popcount laptop, surprisingly finds it early (depth 4) and sticks with it.

Code: Select all

FEN: r1b1k2r/p2n1ppp/1p2p3/3p2B1/P2P4/1Nn1P3/5PPP/R3KB1R w KQkq - 0 1

Hermann 2.8 64 bit:
 1/4	00:00	 90	90k	-0.55	f2-f3
 2/4	00:00	 94	94k	-0.61	f2-f3 f7-f6 Bg5-f4 Bc8-b7
 3/4	00:00	 158	158k	-0.61	f2-f3 f7-f6 Bg5-h4 Bc8-b7 Bf1-d3
 3/7+	00:00	 464	29k	-0.60	Bf1-d3 f7-f6 Bg5-h4 Bc8-b7 f2-f3
 4/10	00:00	 1k	84k	-0.62	Bf1-d3 f7-f6 Bg5-h4 Bc8-b7 f2-f3
 4/10+	00:00	 1k	84k	-0.58	f2-f3 f7-f6 Bg5-h4 Bc8-b7 Bf1-d3
 4/10	00:00	 1k	85k	-0.58	f2-f3 f7-f6 Bg5-h4 Bc8-b7 a4-a5 b6-b5
 6/12	00:00	 4k	130k	-0.61	f2-f3 f7-f6 Bg5-h4 Bc8-b7 a4-a5 b6-b5
 7/15	00:00	 35k	572k	-0.57	f2-f3 Bc8-b7 a4-a5 h7-h6 Bg5-f4 g7-g5 Bf4-d6
 8/19	00:00	 87k	928k	-0.57	f2-f3 Bc8-b7 a4-a5 h7-h6 Bg5-f4 g7-g5 Bf4-d6 b6-b5
 9/21	00:00	 248k	1,136k	-0.51	f2-f3 Bc8-b7 a4-a5 f7-f6 Bg5-h4 g7-g5 Bh4-g3 Ke8-f7 a5xb6 Nd7xb6
 10/23	00:00	 693k	1,270k	-0.52	f2-f3 f7-f6 Bg5-h4 Bc8-b7 a4-a5 b6-b5 a5-a6 Bb7-c6 Nb3-a5 Ra8-c8 Na5xc6 Rc8xc6
 12/28	00:02	 3,355k	1,344k	-0.46	f2-f3 f7-f6 Bg5-h4 Bc8-b7 a4-a5 b6-b5 a5-a6 Bb7-c8 Bf1-d3 b5-b4 Bh4-g3 e6-e5 O-O
 13/28	00:05	 7,707k	1,384k	-0.51	f2-f3 f7-f6 Bg5-h4 Bc8-b7 Ke1-d2 Ra8-c8 Ra1-c1 Nc3xa4 Rc1xc8+ Bb7xc8 Bf1-b5 g7-g5 Bh4xg5 f6xg5 Bb5xa4
 14/30	00:11	 14,898k	1,334k	-0.43	f2-f3 f7-f6 Bg5-h4 Bc8-b7 Ke1-d2 Ra8-c8 Ra1-c1 Nc3xa4 Rc1xc8+ Bb7xc8 Bf1-b5 Na4-b2 Kd2-c3 Nb2-c4 Bb5xc4 d5xc4 Kc3xc4
 15/36	00:55	 64,702k	1,175k	+0.99	f2-f3 f7-f6 Bg5-h4 b6-b5 a4xb5 Ra8-b8 Ra1-c1 Nc3-a2 Rc1-c7 Rb8-a8 Nb3-c5 Nd7xc5 d4xc5 g7-g5 Bh4-g3 Bc8-d7
 16/36	01:05	 77,233k	1,178k	+1.03	f2-f3 f7-f6 Bg5-h4 b6-b5 a4xb5 Ra8-b8 Ra1-c1 Nc3-a2 Rc1-c7 Rb8-a8 Nb3-c5 e6-e5 Bf1-d3 Nd7xc5 d4xc5 g7-g5 Bh4-f2 Bc8-d7
 17/39	01:53	 135,065k	1,195k	+1.64	f2-f3 f7-f6 Bg5-h4 b6-b5 a4xb5 Ra8-b8 Bh4-g3 Rb8xb5 Bf1xb5 Nc3xb5 Ke1-f2 h7-h5 Rh1-c1 Ke8-f7 Nb3-c5 h5-h4 Bg3-f4 g7-g5

User avatar
Rebel
Posts: 4912
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:04 am

Re: Evaluation challenge II

Post by Rebel » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:21 am

Current standing

Code: Select all

   Engine            Depth  
1. Lc0 [March 2019]    1          
2. Hermann 2.8         4
3. Dumb 1.3           14
4. Amoeba 3.0         26
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.

User avatar
Rebel
Posts: 4912
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:04 am

Re: Evaluation challenge II

Post by Rebel » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:32 am

Jouni wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:37 pm
My guess Lc0 with 1,0 or -1 plies :) . But seriously depths in different engines are not compatible only time means anything.
Valid point except this subject is about the evaluation function.

But alright I will make it a NN topic in a new thread because it shows learned NN's are way ahead AB engines in regard understanding chess and maybe somehow AB engines could profit from that.

Poll closed.
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.

User avatar
xr_a_y
Posts: 916
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:28 pm
Location: France

Re: Evaluation challenge II

Post by xr_a_y » Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:42 pm

Depth 24 for Minic in 6 secondes. (and depth 18 with 40 threads ...)

Code: Select all

1 -21 0 28 5 27 f1d3                                                                                                                             
2 -33 0 121 5 120       f1d3 c3e4                                                                                                                
3 -48 0 184 5 183       f1d3 c3e4 d3e4                                                                                                           
4 -48 0 230 5 229       f1d3 c3e4 d3e4 d5e4                                                                                                      
5 -40 0 277 7 277       f1d3 d7f6 ?                                                                                                              
5 -26 0 494 9 493       f1d3 h7h5 ?                                                                                                              
5 -17 0 1462 9 1461     f1d3 a7a5 e1g1 e8g8 g5f4 c3e4 d3b5                                                                                       
6 -27 0 2060 9 2059     f1d3 e8g8 a4a5 !                                                                                                         
6 -12 0 3696 10 3695    a1c1 d7b8 ?                                                                                                              
6 -41 0 6324 11 6323    a1c1 c3e4 h2h4 c8b7 a4a5 !                                                                                               
6 -4 0 6619 12 6618     a1c1 f7f6 c1c3 f6g5 ?                                                                                                    
6 -4 0 8526 12 4263     a1c1 c3e4 h2h4 e8g8 c1c7 d7f6 g5f6                                                                                       
7 -19 0 9572 12 3190    f1b5 e8g8 e1g1 c3b5 a4b5 c8b7 !                                                                                          
7 -39 0 10535 12 3511   a1c1 c3a4 f1d3 e8g8 h1f1 f7f6 !                                                                                          
7 -62 0 12235 12 3058   a1c1 c3a4 g5f4 e8g8 f1d3 c8b7 !
7 -61 0 14254 12 2850   a1c1 c3a4 g5f4 h7h6 f1d3 c8b7 c1c7
8 -63 0 20415 14 2916   a1c1 c3a4 f1b5 h7h6 g5f4 g7g5 b5a4 g5f4
9 -53 0 22132 14 2766   a1c1 c3a4 g5f4 h7h6 h2h4 c8b7 c1c7 e8f8 c7b7 ?
9 -39 0 25080 14 2786   a1c1 c3a4 g5f4 h7h6 h2h4 e8g8 f1b5 a4b2 c1c7 g7g5 h4g5 ?
9 -23 1 32055 14 2671   a1c1 c3a4 g5f4 h7h6 h2h4 a7a6 c1c7 e8g8 f1d3 f7f6
10 -14 1 38332 14 2555  a1c1 c3a4 g5f4 h8g8 f1b5 g8h8 ?
10 -3 2 50837 15 2541   a1c1 c3e4 h2h4 d7f6 g5f6 e4f6 f1b5 c8d7 c1c7 d7b5 a4b5
11 5 3 90145 17 2651    a1c1 c3e4 g5f4 g7g5 f4g3 e8g8 f1e2 e4g3 h2g3 f8e8 ?
11 9 4 120333 19 2798   a1c1 c3e4 g5f4 g7g5 f4g3 h7h5 f1b5 e8g8 c1c7 f8d8 f2f3 e4g3 h2g3
12 6 5 164299 21 2933   a1c1 c3e4 g5f4 g7g5 f4g3 e8g8 f1b5 d7f6 b5c6 c8d7 c6a8 f8a8 c1a1 a8c8
13 14 6 190366 21 2974  a1c1 c3e4 g5f4 g7g5 f4g3 e8g8 f1b5 d7f6 b5c6 c8d7 c6a8 f8a8 a4a5 h7h6 a5b6 e4g3 ?
13 25 10 325490 22 3254 a1c1 c3e4 g5f4 g7g5 f4c7 c8b7 h2h4 g5h4 h1h4 a8c8 f2f3 e4f6 f1b5
14 21 11 384501 22 3343 a1c1 c3e4 g5f4 g7g5 f4g3 e4g3 h2g3 d7f6 h1h6 f6g4 h6h5 h7h6 c1c7 c8d7 f1b5
15 29 23 933957 25 4008 a1c1 c3e4 g5f4 g7g5 f4c7 h7h6 f1b5 h8h7 b5c6 ?
15 43 31 1292929 29 4170        a1c1 c3e4 g5f4 g7g5 f4c7 a7a6 h2h4 g5g4 f1e2 b6b5 a4b5 a6b5 e2b5 e8g8 c7f4 f8e8 b5c6 ?
15 12 52 2303973 29 4371        a1c1 c3e4 b3d2 e4g5 h2h4 g5e4 d2e4 !
15 16 72 3273997 29 4522        a1c1 c3e4 g5f4 d7f8 f2f3 e4f6 f4e5 h7h5 f1b5 c8d7 e5f6 g7f6 c1c7 d7b5 a4b5 a7a6 b5a6 a8a6 e1g1 a6a3 c7c8
16 8 73 3318012 29 4526 a1c1 c3e4 g5f4 e8e7 f1b5 g7g5 f4g3 e4g3 f2g3 a7a6 b5d3 a8b8 c1c7 h7h5 e1g1 c8b7 !
16 16 78 3571968 29 4567        a1c1 c3e4 g5f4 e8e7 f1b5 g7g5 f4c7 a7a6 b5e2 c8b7 h2h4 g5h4 h1h4 a6a5 b3d2 h8c8 ?
16 17 82 3829502 29 4630        a1c1 c3e4 g5f4 e8e7 f1b5 g7g5 f4c7 a7a6 b5e2 c8b7 h2h4 g5h4 h1h4 a8c8 h4h6 e4d6 h6h5
17 9 83 3859047 29 4638 a1c1 c3e4 h2h4 d7f6 g5f4 c8d7 b3d2 e4d2 e1d2 !
17 1 150 8020458 36 5329        a1c1 c3e4 g5f4 d7f8 f2f3 e4f6 f1b5 c8d7 f4d6 f8g6 c1c7 d7b5 a4b5 a8d8 d6a3 d8d7 c7c8 d7d8 c8c7 d8d7 c7c8 d7d8 c8c7 d8d7 c7c8 d7d8 c8c7 d8d7
18 1 156 8421754 36 5381        a1c1 c3e4 g5f4 d7f8 f2f3 e4f6 f1b5 c8d7 f4d6 f8g6 c1c7 a8d8 d6a3 d7b5 a4b5 d8d7 c7c8 d7d8 c8c7 d8d7
19 -1 167 9159662 36 5458       a1c1 c3e4 g5f4 d7f8 f2f3 e4f6 f1b5 c8d7 f4d6 f8g6 c1c7 a8d8 d6a3 d7b5 a4b5 d8d7 c7c8 d7d8 c8c7 d8d7 c7c8
20 -1 178 9860079 36 5533       a1c1 c3e4 g5f4 d7f8 f2f3 e4f6 f1b5 c8d7 f4d6 f8g6 c1c7 a8d8 d6a3 d7b5 a4b5 d8d7 c7c8 d7d8 c8c7 d8d7 c7c8 d7d8 c8c7 d8d7
21 -1 266 15674678 36 5877      a1c1 c3e4 g5f4 d7f8 f2f3 e4f6 f1b5 c8d7 f4d6 f8g6 c1c7 a8d8 d6a3 d7b5 a4b5 d8d7 c7c8 d7d8 c8c7 d8d7 c7c8 d7d8 c8c7 d8d7
22 1 301 17981149 36 5963       a1c1 c3e4 g5f4 d7f8 f2f3 e4f6 f1b5 c8d7 c1c7 d7b5 a4b5 f8g6 f4d6 a8d8 d6a3 d8d7 c7c8 d7d8 c8c7 d8d7 c7c8 d7d8 c8c7 d8d7 c7c8 d7d8 c8c7
23 1 423 26010695 36 6140       a1c1 c3e4 g5f4 d7f8 f2f3 e4f6 f1b5 c8d7 c1c7 d7b5 a4b5 f8g6 f4d6 a8d8 d6a3 d8d7 c7c8 d7d8 c8c7 d8d7 c7c8 d7d8 c8c7 d8d7 c7c8 d7d8 c8c7
24 9 617 38773769 36 6281       a1c1 c3e4 g5f4 g7g5 f4c7 ?
24 23 1370 88300208 38 6441     f2f3 c8b7 e1d2 a8c8 ?
24 46 1446 93315961 38 6451     f2f3 c8b7 e1d2 a8c8 f1b5 c3b5 a4b5 c8a8 h1c1 a7a5 c1c7 ?
24 82 1695 110079827 44 6491    f2f3 c8b7 e1d2 a8c8 f1b5 c3b5 ?
24 138 1843 119924991 44 6505   f2f3 c8b7 e1d2 a8c8 f1d3 a7a5 h1c1 ?
24 157 3727 245148282 44 6576   f2f3 d7f6 g5f6 g7f6 e1d2 c3a4 a1a4 h8g8 g2g3 a7a5 a4a1 c8d7 f1d3 e8e7 d3h7 g8h8 h7d3 h8h3 d3f1 h3h8 b3c1 b6b5 c1d3 b5b4 h2h4 b4b3 a1b1
25 149 3871 254694520 44 6578   f2f3 d7f6 g5f6 g7f6 !
25 135 4174 274735239 44 6581   f2f3 c8b7 a1c1 c3a4 f1b5 a4b2 !
25 112 4338 285721329 44 6585   f2f3 !
25 129 4676 308398429 44 6595   f2f3 f7f6 ?
25 76 7060 466682982 44 6610    f2f3 h7h6 g5f4 e6e5 d4e5 d7c5 !
25 58 12291 817678923 53 6652   f2f3 h7h6 g5f4 c8b7 a4a5 a7a6 a5b6 d7b6 a1c1 c3b5 b3c5 b7c8 f1d3 e8g8 e1f2 c8d7 h1d1 f8c8 c1a1 d7c6 d1c1 b6c4 d3c4 d5c4 c1c4 a6a5 c4c1 c6d5

Post Reply