Engine update - belofte 0.9.6 released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

ydebilloez
Full name: Yves De Billoëz

Engine update - belofte 0.9.6 released

Post by ydebilloez »

Update Engine Belofte 0.9.6 released. GPL 2.0. Get your copy at:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/belofte/
Linux 64 bit included in repository. Please submit binaries for other platforms.
Xboard/Winboard 2 protocol.

Changes:
Major improvement in strength, but still very weak. Correction in Quescence. Perft. Updated manual and many many other changes.
Yves De Billoëz @ macchess belofte chess
Once owner of a Mephisto I, II, challenger, ... chess computer.
CMCanavessi

Re: Engine update - belofte 0.9.6 released

Post by CMCanavessi »

Are there updated windows binaries anywhere? Cause I can't find them.
Follow my tournament and some Leela gauntlets live at http://twitch.tv/ccls
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

CMCanavessi wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:31 am Are there updated windows binaries anywhere? Cause I can't find them.
None available, tried to compile it, but had problems.
https://rwbc-chess.de

trollwatch:
Chessqueen + chessica + AlexChess + Eduard + Sylwy
ydebilloez

Post by ydebilloez »

Windows 64 bit binaries of version 0.9.3 pushed to source repository.
Windows 32 bit binaries in the making, but not available yet.
Roland Chastain
Full name: Roland Chastain

Post by Roland Chastain »

ydebilloez wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:56 pm Windows 64 bit binaries of version 0.9.3 pushed to source repository.
Hello! Thank you for binaries. Unfortunately with me it doesn't work. I tried different configurations. Sometimes it disconnects, sometimes it plays illegal moves. In the best case it loses on time. :?

I attach the log file. I hope it can help.

Regards.

Roland
Qui trop embrasse mal étreint.
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

ydebilloez wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:56 pm Windows 64 bit binaries of version 0.9.3 pushed to source repository.
I don't understand what an upload of Belofte 0.93 compiled in November 2018 has to do with the new release of 0.96?
Isn't there an actual Windows compile available?
https://rwbc-chess.de

trollwatch:
Chessqueen + chessica + AlexChess + Eduard + Sylwy
ydebilloez

Post by ydebilloez »

Guenther wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:49 am I don't understand what an upload of Belofte 0.93 compiled in November 2018 has to do with the new release of 0.96?
Isn't there an actual Windows compile available?
I do not have a windows vm with a good compiler at hand. I found a compile made by T. Poppins of version 0.9.3, I included it because it is much more recent than the 0.2.x builds that are available. I did not test it. Anyway, I do not understand why I insisted on publishing 0.9.3, because it plays really bad.... You are completely right.

Before getting to version 1.0, I want to include a 32 or 64 bit windows version that works correctly. If someone manages to compile the 0.9.6 release on windows, this would be great. I did not manage to compile it yet. The combination of C and C++ seems to create some issues for my c++ builder compiler.
Roland Chastain wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:29 am Hello! Thank you for binaries. Unfortunately with me it doesn't work. I tried different configurations. Sometimes it disconnects, sometimes it plays illegal moves. In the best case it loses on time. :?

I attach the log file. I hope it can help.
Yes, it helps. Really need to get into debugging the windows version. Looking at the log it seems to play under heavy stress with less than 2 seconds on the clock. A few fixes were added before the 0.9.5 release with regards to time. One of the issues might be fixed in 0.9.6 already.
Thanks to the log, I saw that the WB1 protocol is broken, only WB2 works.
Roland Chastain
Full name: Roland Chastain

Post by Roland Chastain »

ydebilloez wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:34 pmBefore getting to version 1.0, I want to include a 32 or 64 bit windows version that works correctly. If someone manages to compile the 0.9.6 release on windows, this would be great. I did not manage to compile it yet. The combination of C and C++ seems to create some issues for my c++ builder compiler.
I tried myself to compile it but didn't manage. I will make another attempt.
ydebilloez wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:34 pmReally need to get into debugging the windows version. Looking at the log it seems to play under heavy stress with less than 2 seconds on the clock. A few fixes were added before the 0.9.5 release with regards to time. One of the issues might be fixed in 0.9.6 already.
It's the time control that I use for my tests, 40 moves in 60 seconds. I tried 40 moves in 120 seconds to give Belofte a chance. :)
ydebilloez wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:34 pmThanks to the log, I saw that the WB1 protocol is broken, only WB2 works.
Yes, I tried the two versions of the protocol, because I was looking for a solution. But I don't really need WB1.
Qui trop embrasse mal étreint.