Weakening Komodo 13.2.5...

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

mjlef

Re: Weakening Komodo 13.2.5...

Post by mjlef »

Ovyron wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:02 am Rebel Decade solved this two decades ago. What the engine can do is checking what move it would have played instantly, but then it continues analyzing paying attention to the time control. When it's its time to move it ignores the extra analysis and makes the instant move anyway. This produces natural looking results (recaptures would still be played fast and such.)
I had.considered this as well, but decided against it because it uses more electricity, which in most countries means more fossil fuel use, pollution and global warming. Waiting and turning control to the operation system would save power.

Seem like a GUI issue to me. Chess.com adds a.little delay. I will consider something like an optional delay of min of 1 second and the allocated time for the move. But we have so many UCI options now some GUIs have issues.

Mark
Ovyron

Re: Weakening Komodo 13.2.5...

Post by Ovyron »

mjlef wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:44 pm Seem like a GUI issue to me.
If this was a GUI issue weakening the engine would also be a GUI issue. It's an engine issue because time management is done by the engine.
mjlef wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:44 pm But we have so many UCI options now some GUIs have issues.
The way Vasik Rajlich did it was by providing different engine modules. For Rybka 3, instead of filling it with UCI options for the Human and Dynamic personalities he provided extra files that would be installed and Rybka 3 default was unaffected by their existence. People that wouldn't care about them could ignore them, just like the Chess960 version.

Perhaps a fancy Komodo version with options like pretending to be a weak human could be provided, and this one would have removed Default Komodo version's options that users playing against the engine would not use. Then all these options wouldn't be cluttering Default Komodo.