Aprende Con Rey, new chess engine for kids

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

mario carbonell

Aprende Con Rey, new chess engine for kids

Post by mario carbonell »

Hi!

We just released a new chess engine and website, http://aprendeconrey.com/. The objective is to teach kids the rules of chess with animated and funny videos and to provide a fun and entertaining experience playing chess with an engine adapted to their level.

There are 4 levels, from very easy to very dificult.

Charles Chaplin, is the easiest, 100% random mover.
Diego Velazquez, normal, 50% random mover, 50% 4 ply search.
Maria Curie, difficult, 25% random mover, 75% 4 ply search.
Albert Einstein is the hardest, 100% 4 ply alfabeta.

Whe plan to add more rivals with different styles and levels and more videos.

The engine is based on Simple Chess AI, https://github.com/lhartikk/simple-chess-ai with modifications, as to make it UCI compliant, modified piece square tables, alfabeta and some more.

The website is in Spanish, but I think you should have no problem playing a game with it :wink:

Regards!
Angrim
Full name: Ben Nye

Re: Aprende Con Rey, new chess engine for kids

Post by Angrim »

Somewhat challenging for a non Spanish speaker to navigate, but the play once you get to the game seems to work fine. I'm going to pass this site on to a kid in our chess club that I know is struggling in his Spanish class, maybe it will help motivate him :)
mario carbonell

We are going to make the site multi-lingual, so there will be no problem with the texts and navigation. For the videos we will add also a translation, the ideal would be to record them with new audio but that needs more resources. Glad you liked it and thanks for the comment!
dannyb
Full name: Daniel Bennett

Post by dannyb »

mario carbonell wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:56 am We are going to make the site multi-lingual, so there will be no problem with the texts and navigation. For the videos we will add also a translation, the ideal would be to record them with new audio but that needs more resources. Glad you liked it and thanks for the comment!
Very nice site! Looking forward to the English version.
mario carbonell

dannyb wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:21 pm
mario carbonell wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:56 am We are going to make the site multi-lingual, so there will be no problem with the texts and navigation. For the videos we will add also a translation, the ideal would be to record them with new audio but that needs more resources. Glad you liked it and thanks for the comment!
Very nice site! Looking forward to the English version.
ok, now is finished the english version except the video subtitles, all the rest of the website is translated to english and catalan. :D

If any of you want to help with the translations to other languages I can give the json file with the texts to translate.

It also perfoms browser language detection, so if your browser is in english you should see the website in english as default.

Regards!
dannyb

Post by dannyb »

thanks for the fast translation, i will suggest it to some kids in the local chess club :)
mario carbonell

dannyb wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:41 pm thanks for the fast translation, i will suggest it to some kids in the local chess club :)
Thanks! I would be glad to see lots of kids playing with it and having fun playing chess!

Regards!
dannyb

Post by dannyb »

mario carbonell wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:14 pm Thanks! I would be glad to see lots of kids playing with it and having fun playing chess!
I'll pass you the feedback if I get any