Banksia GUI released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

MCDermont
Full name: Robert Söhnlein

Re: Banksia GUI released

Post by MCDermont »

Damir wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:53 pm Hi Robert

Change your notation to English notation in Chessbase GUI, and it will also work in Banksia GUI. German notation is not supported in Banksia GUI.. :) :)
thx Damir :-) will try it out
but found another bug in Banksia :-((
it override casteling in bin book :-(
phhnguyen
Full name: Nguyen Hong Pham

Post by phhnguyen »

MCDermont wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:25 pm

Change your notation to English notation in Chessbase GUI, and it will also work in Banksia GUI. German notation is not supported in Banksia GUI.. :) :)
Thanks for the report. Can you tell more about that bug? Details? How to view and reproduce the bug?
https://banksiagui.com
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
MCDermont

Post by MCDermont »

phhnguyen wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:21 am
MCDermont wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:25 pm

Thanks for the report. Can you tell more about that bug? Details? How to view and reproduce the bug?
add current game to the book with youre gui and than open the book and folow the moves and you wont see the casteling
move 0-0 or e1g1 or e8g8 in the book engine stop on this position and take to think and than it play any move and than
back in book when it will play the casteling move
Nordlandia

Post by Nordlandia »

Question for phhnguyen.

Concerning two computer match option. Maybe it's best done with a crossover cable or null modem. I think the ideal scenario is that moves is transferred trough the cable and not having to rely on internet connection between each computer.

The idea is that moves should be transmitted through ethernet crossover cable (null modem). Not through internet back and fourth. If the internet is down, it can mess up the entire game and tournaments.

I don't know this is doable to look upon. The concept is based on the obsolete RS232 protocol.

See - https://www.chessprogramming.org/Auto232

This may be a better solution than relying on internet communication between each computer. Maybe faster too. Less delay and latency.

The picture show the idea. Of course right cable have to be used.

AdminX

Post by AdminX »

Nordlandia wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:53 pm Question for phhnguyen.

Concerning two computer match option. Maybe it's best done with a crossover cable or null modem. I think the ideal scenario is that moves is transferred trough the cable and not having to rely on internet connection between each computer.

The idea is that moves should be transmitted through ethernet crossover cable (null modem). Not through internet back and fourth. If the internet is down, it can mess up the entire game and tournaments.

I don't know this is doable to look upon. The concept is based on the obsolete RS232 protocol.

This may be a better solution than relying on internet communication between each computer. Maybe faster too. Less delay and latency.

Not sure what you mean by internet, I think you mean LAN (Local Area Network) connection, because the internet is not required for computer matches. The internet could be down and your LAN would still be working as he has it currently. The crossover setup just takes the router/LAN out of the equation, keeping the network traffic down to just those two systems.
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by Nordlandia »

Yes AdminX. I wonder if it would have been a better solution.

For example In Arena there is a autoplayer option. Require null modem cable, so i had to use something like this to get it to work. 2x USB to RS232 + Null Modem Cable.

phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

AdminX wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:32 pm
Nordlandia wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:53 pm Question for phhnguyen.

Not sure what you mean by internet, I think you mean LAN (Local Area Network) connection, because the internet is not required for computer matches. The internet could be down and your LAN would still be working as he has it currently. The crossover setup just takes the router/LAN out of the equation, keeping the network traffic down to just those two systems.
Nordlandia wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:15 pm Yes AdminX. I wonder if it would have been a better solution.

For example In Arena there is a autoplayer option. Require null modem cable, so i had to use something like this to get it to work. 2x USB to RS232 + Null Modem Cable.

I am not good at network thus reply based on my understanding:
- BSG requires a Local Area Network to play between computers. It doesn't need the Internet thus Internet status/latency does not affect theoretically. However, I actually don't know (if it affects)
- Auto232 is an old type of connection using serial communication port RS-232 which may not exist in modern computers (all my computers in my house have not got that port)
- Based on your image and discussion, look like you are creating a LAN using a crossover cable between computers without a router. Searching a bit, I see you can create such LAN using that kind of cable (some network adapters may accept non-crossover cable too), or normal WIFI hardware (I guess almost all our computers have WIFI cards thus using them is easier since we don't need to buy any extra cable; note that since it is a local network - fast and BSG transfers not much data, WIFI speed should be fast enough). Look like the setup is straightforward:
https://smallbusiness.chron.com/hook-up ... 37280.html

Good luck with your new LAN and have fun :D
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
Nordlandia

Post by Nordlandia »

Picture one -> This is the idea. Connect two computers directly using crossover cable

Picture two -> This is the current way it is implemented

Is the direct communication with crossover cable idea better?
MCDermont

Post by MCDermont »

add a current game to the book with youre gui and than open the book and folow the moves and you wont see the casteling
move 0-0 or e1g1 or e8g8 in the book engine stop on this position and take to think and than it play any move and than
phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

MCDermont wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:15 am
add a current game to the book with youre gui and than open the book and folow the moves and you wont see the casteling
Thank you very much for the report.

However, I could not reproduce the problem. I started with opening book fruit.bin (you can download it via menu->tools->Download). Fig1 shown that there was no move 6) ... e5 when the game has. Fig 2 is that book after adding and you can see e5 and some castling moves.

Fig 1: there is not move 6) ... e5

Fig 2: now the book has 6) ... e5 and some castling moves

Can you check that? How to reproduce (step by step)? Thanks