Banksia GUI released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

phhnguyen
Full name: Nguyen Hong Pham

Re: Banksia GUI released

Post by phhnguyen »

supersharp77 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:42 pm GUI loaded and have also loaded some engines...some major problems with the winboard adapter (not working correctly)
Comet, King 312a, All Scorpio engines, Crafty 16.1 and Awesome 1.67 not working as "pure winboard engines" engines do work with wb2uci adaptor....
Thanks for info!
BSG can work directly with Winboard engines (without using adapter). Can you try that?
(actually, I have never used, tried any Winboard adapter thus have no experience) :lol:
supersharp77 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:42 pm All UCI engines loading and playing normally...Notation screen does not resize properly..same with engine info screens (board goes from normal size to extremely small) chess pieces are not in 100% scale to the chessboard (resize option?)
Could you attach some images? I have tested on som systems but know systems are different from each other.
supersharp77 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:42 pm Fischer clock screen seems to be missing from settings...
In time controller, "All moves" mode is actually Fischer clock.
supersharp77 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:42 pm no setting screens for extra time controls..
Can you explain more about "extra time controls"?
supersharp77 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:42 pm also adjudication box for games (important) seems to be missing...
Currently, adjudication is for tournament games only, not for normal games.
supersharp77 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:42 pm has some unusual features...every engine loads with a unique color for the move arrows...

color customization box seems to be missing for the square colors..
Overall not a bad effort!! AR :) :wink:
There is a bug for setting square colors. It will be fixed in the next version.

Thanks again for all suggestions.
https://banksiagui.com
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

phhnguyen wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:51 am
supersharp77 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:42 pm GUI loaded and have also loaded some engines...some major problems with the winboard adapter (not working correctly)
Comet, King 312a, All Scorpio engines, Crafty 16.1 and Awesome 1.67 not working as "pure winboard engines" engines do work with wb2uci adaptor....
Thanks for info!
BSG can work directly with Winboard engines (without using adapter). Can you try that?
(actually, I have never used, tried any Winboard adapter thus have no experience) :lol:
Seems like they are all protocol 1 versions and you have answered this already in a previous post.
https://rwbc-chess.de

trollwatch:
Chessqueen + chessica + AlexChess + Eduard + Sylwy
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

Ras already said that only two (small) dlls are missing for Win7.

They are:

Code: Select all

Api-ms-win-core-winrt-string-l1-1-0.dll
Api-ms-win-core-winrt-l1-1-0.dll
Here are safe download links for both and the current Banksia version will run on Win7
https://wikidll.com/microsoft/api-ms-wi ... l#download
https://rwbc-chess.de

trollwatch:
Chessqueen + chessica + AlexChess + Eduard + Sylwy
Ras
Full name: Rasmus Althoff

Post by Ras »

phhnguyen wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:38 amWow, thanks for the info. Can you tell me the name (and download links if you have) of those DLL?
It's api-ms-win-core-winrt-l1-1-0.dll and api-ms-win-core-winrt-string-l1-1-0.dll . Either you extract that from a Win10 system that you have around, or you could also get them from https://wikidll.com/microsoft/api-ms-wi ... l1-1-0-dll and https://wikidll.com/microsoft/api-ms-wi ... l1-1-0-dll .
Simply I have only two systems of Win10 and macOS. Thus I can't compile and test in other systems.
So I guess it's just the project compilation settings or something like that.
No, you just select engines, BSG will do the rest, including detecting names. Enter the name only if you want.
Ah OK. I tried, and the name is indeed auto-detected. Maybe you could pre-set the name to something like "auto detect" in a grey font or so?

Btw., when I remove the engine, and it is being active as a player, then the engine player is not removed. Say I have CT800 as Black, White to move, I delete the engine via settings, then Black is not reset to e.g. human.

The batched directory detection is a pretty clever feature!
Currently, BSG does not support UCI_Elo since options with the prefix UCI_ require GUI to really understand the meaning of data. I am not sure what that option requires.
Yes, this option needs an agregated handling logic like this:

1) check whether the engine announces both UCI_Limitstrength and UCI_Elo as reply to the GUI's "uci" command (in no particular order):

option name UCI_LimitStrength type check default false
option name UCI_Elo type spin default X min Y max Z
2) The checkbox UCI_Limistrength should default to false and toggles the throttled mode on/off.
3) The slider UCI_Elo is the Elo setting when UCI_Limistrength is set to true. Note that even for engines that support this Elo throttling, the Elo range is specific per engine. It would be good style on behalf of the engine developer to "clip" the range to what the specific engine supports when receiving the UCI_Elo setting from the GUI, but probably not all will do that.
Do you mean icons of buttons on toolbar?
Yes, below the menu. I think this is rather an issue with the settings of the default theme than with the code.

Btw., the score graph is not being reset when selecting "new game", but it is then redrawn if I go into another application window and back to Banksia, or when I make the first move of the new game.

I figured out that the graph is in pawn units, at least for engines that score in centipawns. Maybe adding the unit to the score graph would be nice, like having the subwindow caption "score graph [pawns]" if the engine has centipawn scoring, and something other if the engine scores in WDL probabilities.

I just tried to paste in an FEN, and that works, but not when using Ctrl-V. In the Shredder GUI, you can paste FEN positions and games like that, and the GUI figures out what it is that was pasted. Works even for games both in PGN, SAN and even from-to notation (anything that reasonably looks like a game). Conversely, right-clicking on the board could open a context menu where I can e.g. copy the position FEN, or flip the board, or switch board coordinates on/off, and the arrows.

What I liked it that Banksia also forwards the FEN's move counter to the engine.

In the engine log window, the GUI's "position" command and the following "go" command are shown in one line as one command, but actually, they are two lines as it should be. I think it would be helpful for engine debugging and troubleshooting if each GUI command that is sent as separate line appeared as line of its own in the log window.

It's a nice feature that Banksia allows direct string input to the engine.

Ah and in the engine PV display below the board, if I click a depth line, then it becomes blue - but the PV in that line is not displayed anymore (probably blue on blue font). And if I now put e.g. the browser window half in front of Banksia, then the blue selection line suddenly goes away - but it does return when I get Banksia to the foreground again.

The PV board is a really nice feature!
Rasmus Althoff
https://www.ct800.net
phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

Guenther wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:17 pm Ras already said that only two (small) dlls are missing for Win7.

They are:

Api-ms-win-core-winrt-string-l1-1-0.dll
Api-ms-win-core-winrt-l1-1-0.dll
Here are safe download links for both and the current Banksia version will run on Win7
Ras wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:32 pm
phhnguyen wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:38 amWow, thanks for the info. Can you tell me the name (and download links if you have) of those DLL?
It's api-ms-win-core-winrt-l1-1-0.dll and api-ms-win-core-winrt-string-l1-1-0.dll . Either you extract that from a Win10 system that you have around, or you could also get them from https://wikidll.com/microsoft/api-ms-wi ... l1-1-0-dll and https://wikidll.com/microsoft/api-ms-wi ... l1-1-0-dll .
Thanks all, amazing it works! :)
Last edited by phhnguyen on Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

Ras wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:32 pm
Simply I have only two systems of Win10 and macOS. Thus I can't compile and test in other systems.
So I guess it's just the project compilation settings or something like that.
No, you just select engines, BSG will do the rest, including detecting names. Enter the name only if you want.
Ah OK. I tried, and the name is indeed auto-detected. Maybe you could pre-set the name to something like "auto detect" in a grey font or so?

Btw., when I remove the engine, and it is being active as a player, then the engine player is not removed. Say I have CT800 as Black, White to move, I delete the engine via settings, then Black is not reset to e.g. human.

The batched directory detection is a pretty clever feature!
Currently, BSG does not support UCI_Elo since options with the prefix UCI_ require GUI to really understand the meaning of data. I am not sure what that option requires.
Yes, this option needs an agregated handling logic like this:

1) check whether the engine announces both UCI_Limitstrength and UCI_Elo as reply to the GUI's "uci" command (in no particular order):

option name UCI_LimitStrength type check default false
option name UCI_Elo type spin default X min Y max Z
2) The checkbox UCI_Limistrength should default to false and toggles the throttled mode on/off.
3) The slider UCI_Elo is the Elo setting when UCI_Limistrength is set to true. Note that even for engines that support this Elo throttling, the Elo range is specific per engine. It would be good style on behalf of the engine developer to "clip" the range to what the specific engine supports when receiving the UCI_Elo setting from the GUI, but probably not all will do that.
Do you mean icons of buttons on toolbar?
Yes, below the menu. I think this is rather an issue with the settings of the default theme than with the code.

Btw., the score graph is not being reset when selecting "new game", but it is then redrawn if I go into another application window and back to Banksia, or when I make the first move of the new game.

I figured out that the graph is in pawn units, at least for engines that score in centipawns. Maybe adding the unit to the score graph would be nice, like having the subwindow caption "score graph [pawns]" if the engine has centipawn scoring, and something other if the engine scores in WDL probabilities.

I just tried to paste in an FEN, and that works, but not when using Ctrl-V. In the Shredder GUI, you can paste FEN positions and games like that, and the GUI figures out what it is that was pasted. Works even for games both in PGN, SAN and even from-to notation (anything that reasonably looks like a game). Conversely, right-clicking on the board could open a context menu where I can e.g. copy the position FEN, or flip the board, or switch board coordinates on/off, and the arrows.

What I liked it that Banksia also forwards the FEN's move counter to the engine.

In the engine log window, the GUI's "position" command and the following "go" command are shown in one line as one command, but actually, they are two lines as it should be. I think it would be helpful for engine debugging and troubleshooting if each GUI command that is sent as separate line appeared as line of its own in the log window.

It's a nice feature that Banksia allows direct string input to the engine.

Ah and in the engine PV display below the board, if I click a depth line, then it becomes blue - but the PV in that line is not displayed anymore (probably blue on blue font). And if I now put e.g. the browser window half in front of Banksia, then the blue selection line suddenly goes away - but it does return when I get Banksia to the foreground again.

The PV board is a really nice feature!
Interesting! I will add UCI_Elo soon!

Thanks again for the other suggestions / bug report too. I am going to fix/implement some bugs (such as missing Ctrl-V) and ideas for the next releases.
supersharp77

Post by supersharp77 »

phhnguyen wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:51 am
Thanks for info!
supersharp77 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:42 pm All UCI engines loading and playing normally...Notation screen does not resize properly..same with engine info screens (board goes from normal size to extremely small) chess pieces are not in 100% scale to the chessboard (resize option?)
Could you attach some images? I have tested on som systems but know systems are different from each other.
supersharp77 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:42 pm Fischer clock screen seems to be missing from settings...
In time controller, "All moves" mode is actually Fischer clock.
supersharp77 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:42 pm no setting screens for extra time controls..
Can you explain more about "extra time controls"?
supersharp77 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:42 pm also adjudication box for games (important) seems to be missing...
Currently, adjudication is for tournament games only, not for normal games.
supersharp77 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:42 pm has some unusual features...every engine loads with a unique color for the move arrows...

color customization box seems to be missing for the square colors..
Overall not a bad effort!! AR :) :wink:
There is a bug for setting square colors. It will be fixed in the next version.

Thanks again for all suggestions.
Your welcome.....Tournament is running OK but I don't see the tourney crosstable to track who is ahead? Also need a "ratings box so engines get ratings point plus or minus with the tourney progress...Also on swiss system engines were matched based on alphabetical order...can't find the adjudication box yet in the GUI..On extra time controls...1st time control 40 moves in 5 minutes..2nd time control..2 minutes for 50 moves...last time control 1 minute for remaining moves..etc.On the board size compared to the pieces..the pawns don't exactly fill out all of the square sizes..(could be a bit larger on some of the options) :) :wink:
phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

supersharp77 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:41 pm Your welcome.....Tournament is running OK but I don't see the tourney crosstable to track who is ahead? Also need a "ratings box so engines get ratings point plus or minus with the tourney progress...Also on swiss system engines were matched based on alphabetical order...can't find the adjudication box yet in the GUI..
Do you mean alphabetical order for the result or for the game list to play?
- If it is for results, users can simply sort that table
- If it is for the game list, you may do in New tournament dialog (when creating tournament)
1) sort Participants table by descending order
2) select None for Shuffle (avoid BSG sorting randomly players/games lists)

Setup other params as usual and then you can start the tournament. Please check if the game list order is OK or not. Thanks
supersharp77 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:41 pm On extra time controls...1st time control 40 moves in 5 minutes..2nd time control..2 minutes for 50 moves...last time control 1 minute for remaining moves..etc.On the board size compared to the pieces..the pawns don't exactly fill out all of the square sizes..(could be a bit larger on some of the options) :) :wink:
Thanks a lot for suggestions. I added them all to my TODO list. Will implement them soon.
carldaman

Post by carldaman »

Thanks for the new GUI! :D

The pieces are too small relative to the size of the squares, and there's no way to resize them that I see.
Aesthetics is an important factor to a chess GUI.
GregNeto

Post by GregNeto »

Congratulations, looks and works very good!

Can you make an option that works game-independant for (chess)-variants? Engines only have to agree about the protocol ...