Banksia GUI released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

phhnguyen
Full name: Nguyen Hong Pham

Re: Banksia GUI released

Post by phhnguyen »

Javier Ros wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:06 pm I am using Banksia GUI lately and it is very good for doing tournaments with different time control for each player.

The concurrency is another excellent feature of Banksia if you want to play several games simultaneously using a few cores per engine.

The problem of the concurrency is that you can't use it with a GPU engine. In order to do it possible I propose to implement a feature in Banksia
defining in each engine a variable that indicates whether the engine is GPU type or it is CPU type.
In the Overall options the "Cores" option must be splitted in "Cores per CPU engine" and "Cores per GPU engine" (typically equal to 2).
The games of the tournament must be organized in a way that only one GPU engine must use the GPU and when the game is finished, the GPU can be used by another GPU engine. So the concurrency of the GPU engines is 1 while the user can set the concurrency of the CPU engines greater than one.

One way to organize a tournament is to play the GPU engine games first, using the remaining cores with the concurrency set for the CPU engines. At the end of the GPU games the computer can use all the CPU engines cores plus the cores reserved for the GPU engines previously to finish the games with CPU engines.

I know that if we want to play a tournament with many GPU engines, the concurrency would lose efficiency because the GPU would always be busy while the CPU would have unused cores.

With this new feature interesting experiments can be done!

I want to thank Nguyen Hong Pham for creating Banksia GUI and wish him the best for him and his family.
Thanks a lot for the suggestion!

Could you or anyone post the option list of Komodo MCTS? (Just run it in command line, enter command “uci”, copy and post here). I am trying to auto-detect GPU engines from their option list instead of having another human-fill field. Thanks
https://banksiagui.com
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

purechess wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:39 am The Banksia GUI website just forwards you to malware sites currently. Why?
KLc wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:18 am
purechess wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:39 am The Banksia GUI website just forwards you to malware sites currently. Why?
This happens to me all the time when I click on the first google hit (whose link is written correctly as banksiagui.com). Today I noticed that google added "This site may be hacked".

Thank all for the report. The website has attacked by an URL injection spam. Look like all download/data files are not affected and the website is not in Google blacklist. The issue is almost fixed and I have been working to find the way they hacked (perhaps being hacked via some weak points of WordPress plugins) and make sure they can’t repeat easily.
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

I've just tried this for the first time. I tried to add Stockfish 13, and it refused to do it, saying that an NNUE engine has to have a separate NNUE file, and of course with Stockfish and others it is integrated into the exe. I assume it is interpreting the "Use NNUE" UCI parameter. As it happens you can download the SF NNUE file as a separate file, but that won't be the case with all engines that have NNUE within the exe. Am I doing something wrong ?
phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

Modern Times wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:43 am I've just tried this for the first time. I tried to add Stockfish 13, and it refused to do it, saying that an NNUE engine has to have a separate NNUE file, and of course with Stockfish and others it is integrated into the exe. I assume it is interpreting the "Use NNUE" UCI parameter. As it happens you can download the SF NNUE file as a separate file, but that won't be the case with all engines that have NNUE within the exe. Am I doing something wrong ?
Just ignore (close the warning dialogue box). SF can run fine. That feature (warning and help to download NNUE files) was designed when NNUE files were not integrated with SF. It will be removed from the next release.
KLc
Full name: Kurt Lanc

Post by KLc »

phhnguyen wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:07 am Thank all for the report. The website has attacked by an URL injection spam. Look like all download/data files are not affected and the website is not in Google blacklist. The issue is almost fixed and I have been working to find the way they hacked (perhaps being hacked via some weak points of WordPress plugins) and make sure they can’t repeat easily.
Yes, that’s what I thought. Great you could fix it. If the site uses WordPress, I would update WP and all plugins to the latest versions. Maybe als use two factor authentication.
phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

Nordlandia wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:53 pm Happy Christmas 🎅

Do Banksia GUI take castling rights into consideration in case of threefold repetition ?

Karpov versus Miles, 1986

[d]r3kb1r/5ppp/4p3/1N6/4P3/8/Pn1BK1PP/R6R b kq - 1 22

Karpov claims draw with his third move Nb5. But the draw by repetion rule also considers the castling availability. At the first Karpov's Nb5, Anthony Miles still had queen side castling movement. With the second Karpov's Nb5, Anthony Miles had no more the castling available. So, the first position is different of the second by this reason. By a mistake, Karpov claims the draw after his thirt Nb5 move, but the position was repeated only twice.

It need to be repeated four times.
Interesting issue!

Yes, BSG counts castling rights, thus it won't consider as a repetition if the castling rights changed. In fact, BSG produces directly hash keys as Polyglot does so it could use directly Polyglot opening books (https://github.com/nguyenpham/Banksia/b ... .cpp#L1593). So far look like nobody found any mistake of those keys :D
phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

twobeer wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:31 am I tried using the network connect freature of 0.38 ?? does it really work?

The differnet banskia guis find each other and chat messages can be sent, engines work locally.. both computer joined and engines show up in selection to set up game and tournament.. But any effort to play tournament or human against a xxx:engine remotely is simply futile.. the remote computer never ever makes a move/calculates and always loses on time withou even starting the engine when games starts... Is there some "trick" to get this to work os it it just buggy/non-working in win-version?? I would assume its not a networking issue as the Chat function and discovery function works ok, indicating that the two guis indeed talk to each other..

Cheers,
Twobeer
Thanks a lot for the report. There’s a bug and it’s fixed for the next release.
Nordlandia

Post by Nordlandia »

I just want to say that the syzygy verification tool seems to have problems with files over a certain valume. I recall someone said 2 GB if i'm not mistaken.

1,000 out of 3,000 egtb files did not pass.

They were downloaded from sesse tablebase website.
phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

Nordlandia wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:54 am I just want to say that the syzygy verification tool seems to have problems with files over a certain valume. I recall someone said 2 GB if i'm not mistaken.

1,000 out of 3,000 egtb files did not pass.

They were downloaded from sesse tablebase website.
Thanks a lot for the report!

Yes that’s a bug when reading large files over 2 GB. It will be fixed for the next release.
phhnguyen

Re: Version 0.35 beta released

Post by phhnguyen »

AlexChess wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:59 pm Hi!

In BanksiaGUI 0.38 I don't understand crosstable details and points or there are simply many bugs?

It's different from old details...

I expect only values 1, 0 or = like in Arena Chess. Where I'm wrong?

Regards, AlexChess
From ver 0.38 BSG uses - (minus) for unplayed games. Just for a quick glance, users may know how many games left. That is longer for starting but at the end, they are the same lengths.

You may change the crosstable from details to scores (points) and by ticking on the radio buttons on the top of the Tournament result panel.