Banksia GUI released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

phhnguyen
Full name: Nguyen Hong Pham

Re: Banksia GUI released

Post by phhnguyen »

Thanks all for suggestions!

I am still curious about engines’ logos, not on techniques but copyrights/distributions:
- I see the majority of engines comes without logos (for example, Stockfish, Crafty, Komodo, Lc0 are released without them). Where can users find and download logos?
- For logos that don't be released with their engines' packages, as I understand they don't be covered by clear licenses either. Does anyone have problems with copyright issues? For example, I downloaded the logo from Stockfish website and used it as Stockfish’s logo, is there any problem if I distribute Stockfish binary (OK based on its license) with that logo? What happens if I slightly modify logos (such as cropping, changing sizes...)?

I know I can ask engines’ authors but it’s impossible for dealing with a large number.

To chess engines' authors: please release your engines with logos (in the packets, under licenses' scopes) if they have some already.
https://banksiagui.com
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
Gabor Szots
Full name: Gabor Szots

Post by Gabor Szots »

phhnguyen wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:43 pm Thanks all for suggestions!

I am still curious about engines’ logos, not on techniques but copyrights/distributions:
- I see the majority of engines comes without logos (for example, Stockfish, Crafty, Komodo, Lc0 are released without them). Where can users find and download logos?
- For logos that don't be released with their engines' packages, as I understand they don't be covered by clear licenses either. Does anyone have problems with copyright issues? For example, I downloaded the logo from Stockfish website and used it as Stockfish’s logo, is there any problem if I distribute Stockfish binary (OK based on its license) with that logo? What happens if I slightly modify logos (such as cropping, changing sizes...)?

I know I can ask engines’ authors but it’s impossible for dealing with a large number.

To chess engines' authors: please release your engines with logos (in the packets, under licenses' scopes) if they have some already.
I have obtained most of my logos from ChessMosaic but the site seems to have been closed. Send me an e-mail (see my profile) and I'll send the collection to you.
Gabor Szots
CCRL testing group
carldaman

Post by carldaman »

Is any part of ChessMosaic reachable by way of the Wayback Machine (a much overrated tool, imho)?

ChessMosaic was great, but too bad it's gone. It almost feels like the owner took his marbles and went home. :(
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

carldaman wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:58 am Is any part of ChessMosaic reachable by way of the Wayback Machine (a much overrated tool, imho)?

ChessMosaic was great, but too bad it's gone. It almost feels like the owner took his marbles and went home. :(
It is ofc not overrated (and much more than a tool).
Why don't you simply try it for chessmosaic instead of complaining?

https://web.archive.org/web/20181009213 ... tion1.html
https://rwbc-chess.de

trollwatch:
Chessqueen + chessica + AlexChess + Eduard + Sylwy
carldaman

Post by carldaman »

Well, following your link I see that ChessMosaic has at least partially been archived. Better than I had expected, for sure - but, when I ran a search of my own I got this instead:

Code: Select all

Scheduled Maintenance

The Internet Archive's sites are offline for scheduled maintenance and upgrades.

Please check our twitter feed @internetarchive for updates.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
I guess I never have had much luck with these searches, hence the complaints.
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

carldaman wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:25 am Well, following your link I see that ChessMosaic has at least partially been archived. Better than I had expected, for sure - but, when I ran a search of my own I got this instead:

Code: Select all

Scheduled Maintenance

The Internet Archive's sites are offline for scheduled maintenance and upgrades.

Please check our twitter feed @internetarchive for updates.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
I guess I never have had much luck with these searches, hence the complaints.
I guess I had this once in my lifetime ;-)
https://rwbc-chess.de

trollwatch:
Chessqueen + chessica + AlexChess + Eduard + Sylwy
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

I know others have asked for logos and I am okay with that for sure, however I would be content with just simple flags.

and using this for programs such as Stockfish and LC0.

Last edited by AdminX on Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."
Full name: Brendan J Norman

Post by BrendanJNorman »

AdminX wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:30 pm I know others have asked for logos and I am okay with that for sure, however I would be content with just simple flags.

You could always just make the logo of each engine their flag if you like. :lol: :wink:
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

BrendanJNorman wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:32 pm You could always just make the logo of each engine their flag if you like. :lol: :wink:
Yes we can! :D
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by Krzysztof Grzelak »

Thank you very much phhnguyen for fulfilling my request.