Banksia GUI released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

AlexChess
Full name: Alex Morales

Re: Banksia GUI released

Post by AlexChess »

Hi Pham!
Bug report:

Adding a new 55th engine to the tournament (Zahak 6.2) has caused some zombies return :) (previously updated engines)

Removing them worked (affected games 1) but the total games to play are now 1382, should be 1385 with 55 players, including the new added.

Best regards, Alex
Chess engines and dedicated chess computers fan since 1981 :D Mac mini M1 8GB-256GB, Windows 11 & Ubuntu ARM64.
ProteusSF Dev Forum TROLLS KINDERGARTEN
AlexChess

Post by AlexChess »

Hi Pham!
Bug confirmed, I've played all the Zahak's games and at the end 3 games were missing. Removing all Zahak's played games luckily it returned to the right 1431 games for 54 players.

It seems that BSG includes also just removed engines, but adding only 1 game for each. :shock:

Thank you,
Best regards, Alex
Chess engines and dedicated chess computers fan since 1981 :D Mac mini M1 8GB-256GB, Windows 11 & Ubuntu ARM64.
Eduard
Full name: N.N.

Post by Eduard »

Hello Pham. I wanted to create a book, but it doesn't work. Nothing happens when I click on Process.
phhnguyen
Full name: Nguyen Hong Pham

Post by phhnguyen »

Eduard wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:13 am Hello Pham. I wanted to create a book, but it doesn't work. Nothing happens when I click on Process.
When creating an opening book you need to use a BSG's database (.bgdb). You may download some ones via BSG or create yourself from PGN files:

BSG used to support directly PGN databases (to create opening books) but then I realize that actually takes more time/trouble than converting to .bgdb first.
https://banksiagui.com
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
CMCanavessi

Post by CMCanavessi »

AlexChess wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:35 am Hi Pham!
Bug confirmed, I've played all the Zahak's games and at the end 3 games were missing. Removing all Zahak's played games luckily it returned to the right 1431 games for 54 players.

It seems that BSG includes also just removed engines, but adding only 1 game for each. :shock:

Thank you,
Best regards, Alex
I have noted that when you replace an engine and reset the games with the new engine, all new matches are created correctly but the .json is not correctly updated and still shows the old version and not the new one. (this happens with 0.49, don't know if 0.50 is the same). I had to manually update the .json and all is ok. You can check by clicking the "anchor to:" list in the standings, and you will see both the new and old version if you don't edit the .json.
Follow my tournament and some Leela gauntlets live at http://twitch.tv/ccls
AlexChess

Post by AlexChess »

CMCanavessi wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:56 pm
AlexChess wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:35 am Hi Pham!

Thank you,
Best regards, Alex
I have noted that when you replace an engine and reset the games with the new engine, all new matches are created correctly but the .json is not correctly updated and still shows the old version and not the new one. (this happens with 0.49, don't know if 0.50 is the same). I had to manually update the .json and all is ok. You can check by clicking the "anchor to:" list in the standings, and you will see both the new and old version if you don't edit the .json.
Thank you. Sharing infos and knowledge is very important and Pham is fan..static in hearing our feature requests and feedbacks, releasing bugfixes very quickly :wink:
Eduard
Full name: N.N.

Post by Eduard »

phhnguyen wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:59 pm
Eduard wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:13 am Hello Pham. I wanted to create a book, but it doesn't work. Nothing happens when I click on Process.
When creating an opening book you need to use a BSG's database (.bgdb). You may download some ones via BSG or create yourself from PGN files:

BSG used to support directly PGN databases (to create opening books) but then I realize that actually takes more time/trouble than converting to .bgdb first.
Why is it not possible to use the pgn database to create a book? Every other tool uses PGN databases. Constantly new database formats and conversions, why does that have to be? Why is pgn not good enough? :(
When I use Polyglot Tolerant, I can create a book in a matter of seconds. Also with this tool below:

https://www.chess2u.com/t13343-polyglot-book-maker-v2-0

a book can be created in a few seconds. What is so difficult for Banksia?

By the way, some tools (like polyglot tolerant) require a clean pgn database (without comments). I use ChessBase for this. It is very easy to get cleaned PGN databases. I will continue to use pgn. I'm not interested in any other new database formats. If pgn does not work, then I let it be.
Cornfed
Full name: Brian D. Smith

Post by Cornfed »

Is there a manual?
I downloaded and ran a quick 4 engine tourney this weekend....but can't find the games anywhere, only the crosstable.

Got to give a thumbs up to the pgn comment right above this...
shaoxinyu
Full name: Xinyu Shao

Post by shaoxinyu »

phhnguyen wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:50 am
shaoxinyu wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:57 pm
phhnguyen wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:19 pm
shaoxinyu wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:00 pm It seems the backup files for tournaments are not working on Windows 10. GUI will be crashed when I use it.

In fact, if the GUI is crashed/quitted during a tournament, I couldn't open the GUI anymore. I have to delete the banksiaplaying.json to open the GUI.
Thanks for the report and sorry to hear that.

If you could, please recover that file (the crashed/deleted one of banksiaplaying.json) and send it to me. I have been working on the data safety issue for BSG and need to find and fix any issue. Many thanks.
I did some experiences again. I notice that if the computing info is Standard format then the GUI works. But if the computing info is TCEC format I can confirm the problem always happens. Here is the banksiaplaying.json: https://pastebin.com/SUbNFEsy
Since you pointed out clearly, I could easily reproduce and fix the bug for the next release! Thanks a lot :D
Thanks for the fix! I noticed that the same problem will also happen after an engine match or playing a game with the computer if the computing info is TCEC format. I have to delete banksiaautogame.pgn to start the GUI. I am not sure if the fix also works.
AlexChess

Post by AlexChess »

Cornfed wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:54 am Is there a manual?
I downloaded and ran a quick 4 engine tourney this weekend....but can't find the games anywhere, only the crosstable.

Got to give a thumbs up to the pgn comment right above this...
Right click on the tournament panel, it will show Export PGN of all played games