Banksia GUI released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

phhnguyen
Full name: Nguyen Hong Pham

Re: Version 0.36 beta released

Post by phhnguyen »

F.Huber wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:06 am
phhnguyen wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:54 am Version 0.36 beta released

* Fixed bugs: some small bugs
... but introduced one new bug: version 0.36 doesn't work anymore!

No error message - it just does absolutely NOTHING when you start it.
Thanks a lot for the report.

Could you give me few more info about your computer: what’s OS, CPU, RAM? Can it run the previous version (0.35)? Thanks again
https://banksiagui.com
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
F.Huber

Post by F.Huber »

phhnguyen wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:40 am Could you give me few more info about your computer: what’s OS, CPU, RAM? Can it run the previous version (0.35)? Thanks again
Windows 10 Home 64bit, Core i5, 8GB RAM.

All previous versions (up to 0.35) were running without any problems, only the new 0.36 refuses to start.
Looking at some special Windows folders in C: I see that it creates an empty(!) folder 'BanksiaGUI' in %APPDATA%,
but that's all - despite of it nothing happens (not even the usual error message that WIndows wants to send
an error report to Microsoft).
phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

F.Huber wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:54 am
phhnguyen wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:40 am Could you give me few more info about your computer: what’s OS, CPU, RAM? Can it run the previous version (0.35)? Thanks again
Windows 10 Home 64bit, Core i5, 8GB RAM.

All previous versions (up to 0.35) were running without any problems, only the new 0.36 refuses to start.
Looking at some special Windows folders in C: I see that it creates an empty(!) folder 'BanksiaGUI' in %APPDATA%,
but that's all - despite of it nothing happens (not even the usual error message that WIndows wants to send
an error report to Microsoft).
How about running the previous version now? Is still OK. If need, you may re-download the verion 0.35 by this temporary link https://banksiagui.com/dl/BanksiaGui-0.35-win64.zip)

Can you delete or move or rename (temporarily) the configuration folder of BSG then try the 0.36 again?

To find that folder:
* if you can run the previous version, run it, open Settings dialog (menu -> File -> Settings), click on the 2nd last button "View/Edit/Delete" to open Configuration dialog, click on "Browser" button to show that folder then delete or temporarily move all files to other folder
* if you don't have or can run the previous version, the configuration folder is usually located in your AppData folder, such as C:\Users\youraccount\AppData\Roaming\BanksiaGUI\
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
F.Huber

Post by F.Huber »

phhnguyen wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:37 pm How about running the previous version now? Is still OK. If need, you may re-download the verion 0.35 by this temporary link https://banksiagui.com/dl/BanksiaGui-0.35-win64.zip)

Can you delete or move or rename (temporarily) the configuration folder of BSG then try the 0.36 again?
Well, I've already tried both things before:
0.35 is still working, and also after removing the config folder 0.36 does not work.
phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

F.Huber wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:49 pm
phhnguyen wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:37 pm How about running the previous version now? Is still OK. If need, you may re-download the verion 0.35 by this temporary link https://banksiagui.com/dl/BanksiaGui-0.35-win64.zip)

Well, I've already tried both things before:
0.35 is still working, and also after removing the config folder 0.36 does not work.
I have been still struggling to reproduce the issue after trying with several computes. Thus it will take more time for me.
If anyone faces the same problem, please use the previous version 0.35 as the temporary solution.
F.Huber

Post by F.Huber »

phhnguyen wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:16 pm If anyone faces the same problem, please use the previous version 0.35 as the temporary solution.
Well, don't worry - let's wait if anyone else reports the same problem, or if it only happens on my computer (although this would be very unlikely).
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

F.Huber wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:25 pm
phhnguyen wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:16 pm If anyone faces the same problem, please use the previous version 0.35 as the temporary solution.
Well, don't worry - let's wait if anyone else reports the same problem, or if it only happens on my computer (although this would be very unlikely).
I have multiple systems (Windows), Desktop 1 worked with no problems, however Desktop 2 did indeed have the same issue. I decided to stay on version 35 for the other systems.
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by phhnguyen »

AdminX wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:50 pm
I have multiple systems (Windows), Desktop 1 worked with no problems, however Desktop 2 did indeed have the same issue. I decided to stay on version 35 for the other systems.
Thanks all for your patience. I have managed to reproduce the issue on a Linux system, fixed the bug, and uploaded new binaries (0.36b). Please download and help me to test them.
F.Huber

Post by F.Huber »

phhnguyen wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:57 pm Thanks all for your patience. I have managed to reproduce the issue on a Linux system, fixed the bug, and uploaded new binaries (0.36b). Please download and help me to test them.
Yep, this new version is working again - many thanks!
phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

F.Huber wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:06 pm
phhnguyen wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:57 pm Thanks all for your patience. I have managed to reproduce the issue on a Linux system, fixed the bug, and uploaded new binaries (0.36b). Please download and help me to test them.
Yep, this new version is working again - many thanks!
Phew, thanks :D :lol: