Banksia GUI released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Rom77
Full name: Roman Zhukov

Re: Banksia GUI released

Post by Rom77 »

phhnguyen wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:31 pm Phew! Thank you! So I suppose now you can run BSG normally (full functionally) on your second computer (the one with Rusian path "c:/Users/Имя_пользователя/AppDataRoaming/BanksiaGUI/") without using the parameter -configpath. Just make a quick test and tell me if there is any problem. Thanks again!
A quick check showed that now there is no problem with starting by default (without -configpath) on both machines. Even if the path contains Russian letters. Thank!

But the second way (with -configpath) may also prove useful someday. So I think that it should be preserved too.
Rom77
Full name: Roman Zhukov

Post by Rom77 »

There is a problem with version 0.22, which was not in version 0.21 - ponder in tournaments is always on.
phhnguyen
Full name: Nguyen Hong Pham

Post by phhnguyen »

Rom77 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:36 pm
phhnguyen wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:31 pm Phew! Thank you! So I suppose now you can run BSG normally (full functionally) on your second computer (the one with Rusian path "c:/Users/Имя_пользователя/AppDataRoaming/BanksiaGUI/") without using the parameter -configpath. Just make a quick test and tell me if there is any problem. Thanks again!
A quick check showed that now there is no problem with starting by default (without -configpath) on both machines. Even if the path contains Russian letters. Thank!

But the second way (with -configpath) may also prove useful someday. So I think that it should be preserved too.
Rom77 wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 5:00 am There is a problem with version 0.22, which was not in version 0.21 - ponder in tournaments is always on.
Thank you very much for all reports. I have been fixing the bug and will release a new version today (since ponder-always-on bug may affect seriously users from running tournaments).
https://banksiagui.com
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
Jonathan003
Full name: Jonathan Cremers

Post by Jonathan003 »

I find it confusing that deleted books still are shown in the list of books in Banksia 0.22

I have to delete the folder: C:\Users\creme\AppData\Roaming\BanksiaGUI, to fix the problem of showing deleted books.
Jonathan003

Post by Jonathan003 »

[/quote]

Thanks for your requests/suggestions. I have added them to my TODO list and may implement them soon.

For merging PGN books it is easy. Actually you can merge them manually because they all are text files. BSG can do a bit better since it can filter out all double openings. However, what you say "one book has priority over the other" won't work since PGN books have no weights thus all openings are totally equal in term of priorities.
[/quote]

I don't care about the book weights of a merged pgn book as I don't want to use the book for engine matches or to play against an engine.
I want to use the book merging option to filter out moves.

For example if I make a book only-white from a pgn with manually chosen opening lines and I merge this book with a book only-white from a big database with high quality games. Then the output would have only the white lines of the first book + white replies against the black moves if they are not in the first book.

Like described in following link under the title "Book Merging"

http://wbec-ridderkerk.nl/html/details1/PolyGlot.html
[/quote]

If this is not possible, I would like to request some other way to achieve the same result. Say for example, I have two pgn books. 'Elo_2500_gg', (with all variations for white and for black); and 'Elo_2500_gg_mainlines', (with only the main lines for white and for black). Now I want to create a new pgn book, 'referense_white', to use as reference for my white repertoire. I want the book to include all lines for white from the book 'Elo_2500_gg_mainlines' and all lines for black from the book 'Elo_2500_gg'. I only want white reply’s from the book 'Elo_2500_gg' to be included in the book 'referense_white' if there is no white reply already included in the book 'Elo_2500_gg_mainlines', transpositions included. If there was an efficient way to convert bin books to pgn, I could already do this by using the book merging options of bin books. Maybe there is already some method to achieve this? With pgn-extract or maybe some others software.
phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

Jonathan003 wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 2:44 pm I find it confusing that deleted books still are shown in the list of books in Banksia 0.22

I have to delete the folder: C:\Users\creme\AppData\Roaming\BanksiaGUI, to fix the problem of showing deleted books.
Thanks for the report. I will find a way to improve that.
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

Jonathan003 wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 3:47 pm If this is not possible, I would like to request some other way to achieve the same result. Say for example, I have two pgn books. 'Elo_2500_gg', (with all variations for white and for black); and 'Elo_2500_gg_mainlines', (with only the main lines for white and for black). Now I want to create a new pgn book, 'referense_white', to use as reference for my white repertoire. I want the book to include all lines for white from the book 'Elo_2500_gg_mainlines' and all lines for black from the book 'Elo_2500_gg'. I only want white reply’s from the book 'Elo_2500_gg' to be included in the book 'referense_white' if there is no white reply already included in the book 'Elo_2500_gg_mainlines', transpositions included.
It is impossible since PGN books lost all information about sides, scores/weight... Just take a look into a PGN book, you may see each opening line is simply a list of moves without any extra information.
Jonathan003 wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 3:47 pm If there was an efficient way to convert bin books to pgn, I could already do this by using the book merging options of bin books. Maybe there is already some method to achieve this? With pgn-extract or maybe some others software.
A binary book such as Polyglot can provide more information such as weight for each move. That is much better for merging and converting to PGN/EDP books.

I will add more tools/functions later (such as converting from Polyglot to PGN one).
phhnguyen

Version 0.23 beta released

Post by phhnguyen »

* Fixed bugs: ponder is always on; missing some overall options; piece animation may cause crashing in some cases
Jonathan003

Post by Jonathan003 »

phhnguyen wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 4:23 pm
Jonathan003 wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 3:47 pm If this is not possible, I would like to request some other way to achieve the same result. Say for example, I have two pgn books. 'Elo_2500_gg', (with all variations for white and for black); and 'Elo_2500_gg_mainlines', (with only the main lines for white and for black). Now I want to create a new pgn book, 'referense_white', to use as reference for my white repertoire. I want the book to include all lines for white from the book 'Elo_2500_gg_mainlines' and all lines for black from the book 'Elo_2500_gg'. I only want white reply’s from the book 'Elo_2500_gg' to be included in the book 'referense_white' if there is no white reply already included in the book 'Elo_2500_gg_mainlines', transpositions included.
It is impossible since PGN books lost all information about sides, scores/weight... Just take a look into a PGN book, you may see each opening line is simply a list of moves without any extra information.
Jonathan003 wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 3:47 pm If there was an efficient way to convert bin books to pgn, I could already do this by using the book merging options of bin books. Maybe there is already some method to achieve this? With pgn-extract or maybe some others software.
A binary book such as Polyglot can provide more information such as weight for each move. That is much better for merging and converting to PGN/EDP books.

I will add more tools/functions later (such as converting from Polyglot to PGN one).
I really like the idea of a tool to convert polyglot books to pgn. Polyglot-Tolerant https://chess.massimilianogoi.com/downl ... ttolerant/, has an option to convert a bin book to pgn. It is very fast but also very inaccurate. A lot of threefold repetitions are included, that where not in the original pgn files, (like knight and bishops getting back to there starting positions, rooks moving back and forward, ect). Also if I convert a merged book to pgn with Polyglot-Tolerant a lot of lines are missing in the pgn file.

Lucas Monge, the programmer of Lucas Chess, send me two converters to convert polyglot books to pgn. An accurate one and a fast one. The accurate one is very, very, very slow, and the fast one does not include al variation in the pgn file if trying to convert a merged book. I will send you a copy of the converters in a PM.

[/quote]

[/quote]

That is all I need, a list of moves. If I want to find the original games, I can do it as described in this post: http://talkchess.com/forum3/viewtopic.p ... 6&start=10
It gives probably problems with transpositions. In SCID you can load a pgn database as a tree and see the statics. You cannot see moves that transposes, (like the option in Chessbase for ctg trees), but if you make a move on the board that transposes, you can see the continuations, (unlike navigating an obk book in Chessmaster 9000).
MCDermont
Full name: Robert Söhnlein

Post by MCDermont »

hi phhnguyen

I would like to remind you of the casteling problem since it still exists.
Banksia GUI still deletes an existing casteling move from a polyglot bin book
after i use youre GUI to add game to opening books
Also existing bin books will be corrupted with youre GUI that shouldnt happen !!!
pls try to fix the problem .
If you need some help about this problem and youre able to use Teamviewer im willing to give you acces
to my machine and show you directly the problem maybe you understand than the problem better

Let us make an appointment.
Time isnt a problem for me just give me a date with a fixed time and we can go on the problem

Regards
Robert