Banksia GUI released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

phhnguyen
Full name: Nguyen Hong Pham

Re: Banksia GUI released

Post by phhnguyen »

AdminX wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:43 pm
phhnguyen wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:09 pm
AdminX wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:22 pm Bug: I still caught 3 Chess960 games even when I had the Chess960 box unticked.

Thanks
Thanks a lot for the report. I have done a quick fix (same version). Please re-download.
Thanks, also I have noticed that I do not hear board sounds when using LiChess Bots. Not a big deal to me, they seem to work everywhere else, but I thought I would mention it.
Thank you very much for the report. It was muted in purpose (it makes sounds for normal or tournament games only). I will count Lichess games as normal ones!
https://banksiagui.com
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

Vinvin wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:36 am Hi,
I'd like to play a time handicap match (set a different time control for each engine).
Is it possible with Banksia ?

Vincent
Rom77 wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:45 pm
Vinvin wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:36 am Hi,
I'd like to play a time handicap match (set a different time control for each engine).
Is it possible with Banksia ?

Vincent
Yes:
Tournaments => New Tournament => Multi timers => v
Thank Roman for helping :)

Yes, when creating a tournament, just click on tick box "Multi timers" and set/check all ping items. You can set 5 different timers and give timer indexes to engines.

The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

AdminX wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:58 pm Can you enable a way to disable 'Concurrency'? Only wish to play one game at a time and cannot set 'Concurrency' to 0.

Thanks
That is the concurrency of games, work as the following: when a bot got a new challenge and the number of playing games is over that concurrency, the challenge will be put in the waiting list and will be accepted later when the number of playing games reduced. That prevents bots from accepting too many games which may over the computing power
phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

zenpawn wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:23 pm First, thank you for adding Chess960 support for Winboard engines and for fixing the issue with using a book. I can confirm they are both working.

Question: After a lichess game finishes, the log tab is cleared and the game on the screen is an old one played offline. How does one find the PGN and log for the previously played lichess games?
In the General tab of Settings dialog, there is an item "Online game log". It is designed for logging PGN games for online games. It works for Local Area Network games but... not for Lichess ones :oops:

I will fix it for the next release. Thanks for the report.
phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

Chessqueen wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:57 pm
How do you set different time control handicap on your GUI, for instance I would like to set Komodo 14 with only 10 seconds for the entire game and for me 60 minutes ?
When creating a tournament (menu -> Tournaments -> New tournament) or setting up a game (menu -> File -> Game setup), just click on tick box "Multi timers" and set/check all ping items. You can set 5 different timers and then give timer indexes to engines.

phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

Jonathan003 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:13 pm
I also have another request. It would be nice if the resulting pgn after conversion, was in short algebraic notation. Also for browsing a bin book in Banksia it would be nice if the moves where in short algebraic notation.
I first converted the pgn to cbh in Chessbase afterwards I replaced the pgn. To get the games in short algebraic notation.
Thanks a lot for the report!

To watch the book tree in SAN notation, just change notation in Settings dialog, General tab, Notation in Move list.

For the current version, the PGN files use only coordinate notation. I will use notation in Settings for them from the next version.

AdminX

Post by AdminX »

phhnguyen wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:02 am
AdminX wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:58 pm Can you enable a way to disable 'Concurrency'? Only wish to play one game at a time and cannot set 'Concurrency' to 0.

Thanks
That is the concurrency of games, work as the following: when a bot got a new challenge and the number of playing games is over that concurrency, the challenge will be put in the waiting list and will be accepted later when the number of playing games reduced. That prevents bots from accepting too many games which may over the computing power
Ahh, okay then there may be a bug there. Because I have been getting a new game started while there is one already in progress. In other words the game is automatically starting without being played in the queue. This causes a problem when using LC0 because it creates a out of memory error which in turn prevents LC0 from moving.

Thanks
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."
Full name: Vincent Lejeune

Post by Vinvin »

I just started to use Banksia.

2 request from my side :

1) On the graph I don't see who is red and who is blue. Suggestion : add a legend with the engine names in red/blue or use the colors black and white in the graph.

2) Invert the score when engine is black. A lot of engines gives the score from their own point of view but it becomes usual to have "+" when white is better and "-" when black is better. Same everywhere including the graph.

Thanks !
phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

Vinvin wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:33 am I just started to use Banksia.

2 request from my side :

1) On the graph I don't see who is red and who is blue. Suggestion : add a legend with the engine names in red/blue or use the colors black and white in the graph.
Thanks a lot for your suggestions/requests!

The problem with BSG to display legends is that the graph may have not enough space to display that info. It is quite dynamic on size, up to users.

BTW, BSG always uses the red line for white and blue for black players. Their names should be displayed on clock boxes which quite closed to the graph.
Vinvin wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:33 am 2) Invert the score when engine is black. A lot of engines gives the score from their own point of view but it becomes usual to have "+" when white is better and "-" when black is better. Same everywhere including the graph.
Thanks !
BSG has implemented some standards about scores. The way to view scores as your suggestions is called "Score in white view". Users can set it up in Settings dialog as the following image:

phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

zenpawn wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:49 pm It appears the "level" command is still not being sent to Winboard engines to tell them the time control.
I am struggling to reproduce the problem. Can you send me an engine log? Thanks.
Note that "level" will be sent only when the timer is the standard type.