Banksia GUI released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Gregory Owett

Re: Banksia GUI released

Post by Gregory Owett »

phhnguyen wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:37 am
Gregory Owett wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:14 pm Hi, if possible, an option to "turn off the machine after the tournament".😀
Sure! And thanks for an interesting idea!

That function will be in the next release. It works well for MS Windows. However, I have trouble getting privileges (for shutting down) on other systems (Linux, macOS) thus it may delay (or never if it is too complicated) for those systems.
Thank you for having taken into consideration the ide. :)

G.O.
supersharp77

Post by supersharp77 »

phhnguyen wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:51 am
supersharp77 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:42 pm GUI loaded and have also loaded some engines...some major problems with the winboard adapter (not working correctly)
Comet, King 312a, All Scorpio engines, Crafty 16.1 and Awesome 1.67 not working as "pure winboard engines" engines do work with wb2uci adaptor....
Thanks for info!
BSG can work directly with Winboard engines (without using adapter). Can you try that?
(actually, I have never used, tried any Winboard adapter thus have no experience) :lol:
supersharp77 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:42 pm All UCI engines loading and playing normally...Notation screen does not resize properly..same with engine info screens (board goes from normal size to extremely small) chess pieces are not in 100% scale to the chessboard (resize option?)
Could you attach some images? I have tested on som systems but know systems are different from each other.
supersharp77 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:42 pm Fischer clock screen seems to be missing from settings...
In time controller, "All moves" mode is actually Fischer clock.
supersharp77 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:42 pm no setting screens for extra time controls..
Can you explain more about "extra time controls"?
supersharp77 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:42 pm also adjudication box for games (important) seems to be missing...
Currently, adjudication is for tournament games only, not for normal games.
supersharp77 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:42 pm has some unusual features...every engine loads with a unique color for the move arrows...

color customization box seems to be missing for the square colors..
Overall not a bad effort!! AR :) :wink:
There is a bug for setting square colors. It will be fixed in the next version.

Thanks again for all suggestions.
Important tourney is underway and 400+ engines loaded and working for the most part....Text Crosstable shows ELO +/- but did not see a ELO/ratings box for the various engines....is it hiding somewhere? Manual adjudication box would be helpful.. What is the status on creating/using various opening books with the GUI? Version 0.9 is working pretty well otherwise so far (40games)....AR :) :wink:
:) :wink:

ps:additional settings for complex time controls (Fisher time)
phhnguyen
Full name: Nguyen Hong Pham

Post by phhnguyen »

supersharp77 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:41 pm Important tourney is underway and 400+ engines loaded and working for the most part....Text Crosstable shows ELO +/- but did not see a ELO/ratings box for the various engines....is it hiding somewhere?
Elo will be in the release of this weekend (version 0.10).

supersharp77 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:41 pm Manual adjudication box would be helpful.. What is the status on creating/using various opening books with the GUI?
BSG will support to create PGN, EPD books in the next week release.
supersharp77 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:41 pm Version 0.9 is working pretty well otherwise so far (40games)....AR :) :wink:

"All moves" in time controller is actually Fisher time. Do you need any extra settings?
https://banksiagui.com
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Post by Laskos »

phhnguyen wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:14 am
supersharp77 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:41 pm Important tourney is underway and 400+ engines loaded and working for the most part....Text Crosstable shows ELO +/- but did not see a ELO/ratings box for the various engines....is it hiding somewhere?
Elo will be in the release of this weekend (version 0.10).

supersharp77 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:41 pm Manual adjudication box would be helpful.. What is the status on creating/using various opening books with the GUI?
BSG will support to create PGN, EPD books in the next week release.
supersharp77 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:41 pm Version 0.9 is working pretty well otherwise so far (40games)....AR :) :wink:

"All moves" in time controller is actually Fisher time. Do you need any extra settings?
Wow, you are an incredibly fast guy! Thanks so much for this excellent GUI!
phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

Laskos wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:18 am Wow, you are an incredibly fast guy! Thanks so much for this excellent GUI!
Thank you. I have just moved to live in chess for a while :lol:
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
phhnguyen

Version 0.10 released

Post by phhnguyen »

Version 0.10 released

1) Bugs fixed: almost all known bugs so far

2) Multi small improvements/adjustments, including:
- Log viewer: my favorite function :D Now it can show a chessboard. Just click to any line of the logs to see the correspondent position

3) New features
- Drag-drop files: users may drag and drop files from outside and drop to file boxes
- Users can play/replay a game or some games of tournaments. Just select those games and right-click to popup menu as bellow illustration (this function is from my need when I frequently have to re-play some games).
- Score meter

Notes:
- There is a small feature to turn off the computer after the tournament. It is tested and workable on Windows, Linux but not macOS. If someone has an idea how to make it work on macOS, please let us know, otherwise, I may cut it from macOS later (it call system "shutdown -P now" or "shutdown -s -f")
- All engines' Elos are manually entering numbers. I don't know how to auto calculate nor update them yet

(Log viewer with chessboard)

(Popup menu to re-play one or multi-selected games - second last item of menu)

(Score meter - black wining)
BrendanJNorman
Full name: Brendan J Norman

Re: Version 0.10 released

Post by BrendanJNorman »

phhnguyen wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:30 am Version 0.10 released

1) Bugs fixed: almost all known bugs so far

2) Multi small improvements/adjustments, including:
- Log viewer: my favorite function :D Now it can show a chessboard. Just click to any line of the logs to see the correspondent position

3) New features
- Drag-drop files: users may drag and drop files from outside and drop to file boxes
- Users can play/replay a game or some games of tournaments. Just select those games and right-click to popup menu as bellow illustration (this function is from my need when I frequently have to re-play some games).
- Score meter

Notes:
- There is a small feature to turn off the computer after the tournament. It is tested and workable on Windows, Linux but not macOS. If someone has an idea how to make it work on macOS, please let us know, otherwise, I may cut it from macOS later (it call system "shutdown -P now" or "shutdown -s -f")
- All engines' Elos are manually entering numbers. I don't know how to auto calculate nor update them yet

(Log viewer with chessboard)

(Popup menu to re-play one or multi-selected games - second last item of menu)

(Score meter - black wining)
For some reason, it won't allow me to add ANY engine. Alway says "this engine doesn't support any protocol". :cry:
phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

BrendanJNorman wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:15 am For some reason, it won't allow me to add ANY engine. Alway says "this engine doesn't support any protocol". :cry:
Thanks for the report!

Since I am struggling to reproduce the problem (does anyone have the same problem?), can you help me:
- What is your OS?
- Reset BSG by deleting all old configuration files:
1) Go Settings -> General tab -> press button View/Edit/Delete in the bottom to popup a dialog Configuration files -> pres Browser button to go to configuration folder of BSG
2) Close BSG first then
3) delete all files on that folder
4) Now run BSG and try again

Thanks again
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

Had a little trouble with making it read my huge engines.json file again.
Just in case someone has the same problem here is the description of the reason.

Older Banksia added generic colours for all my (minimal) entries and the difference was that those colours
were added with a minus sign, after removing those it works again now in the current version.

Code: Select all

"color" : -4244319,
=>

Code: Select all

"color" : 4244319,
https://rwbc-chess.de

trollwatch:
Chessqueen + chessica + AlexChess + Eduard + Sylwy
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

phhnguyen wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:41 am
BrendanJNorman wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:15 am For some reason, it won't allow me to add ANY engine. Alway says "this engine doesn't support any protocol". :cry:
Thanks for the report!

Since I am struggling to reproduce the problem (does anyone have the same problem?), can you help me:
- What is your OS?
- Reset BSG by deleting all old configuration files:
1) Go Settings -> General tab -> press button View/Edit/Delete in the bottom to popup a dialog Configuration files -> pres Browser button to go to configuration folder of BSG
2) Close BSG first then
3) delete all files on that folder
4) Now run BSG and try again

Thanks again
Yes, I can comfirm this issue on Windows 10 Pro. I tried your solution, however it did not work. The 1st sign of trouble was that it no longer detected any previous installed engines.
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."