Banksia GUI released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Nordlandia

Re: Banksia GUI released

Post by Nordlandia »

Regarding the discussion about syzygy paths and adjudication.

Syzygy path for engines: files should be on SSD. Storing full 7-piece on SSD is not feasible, unless very big wallet.

syzygy adjudication path: a good argument for a own path is that many is willing to go for 7-piece adjudication. 7-piece is affordable to store on HDD or mechanical drives. HDD cripple engine speed once endgame approaches. Therefore HDDs is more suited for simple adjudication.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Great stuff with your latest updates!

In my Honey engines, I have ShowWDl option - but it's not readily apparent how I display that info:

This is with soon to be release Black-Diamond-Xr5

(right click and select open in new window to display a readable version)

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Another suggestion,

Beautify the output ,transferring it from "long algebraic" to algebraic ,i.e., "g1f3" becomes "Nf3 "e2e4" becomes "e4." etc. best to do in th GUI so as not harm the engine when done in the engine exe. Winboard/xboard and the Chessbase products do this. I can dig up some code that does this. It's been done many times.
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

MikeB wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:08 pm Great stuff with your latest updates!

In my Honey engines, I have ShowWDl option - but it's not readily apparent how I display that info:

"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by MikeB »

Also, it's not apparent to me - say you paste a game in to analyze, to play out different moves than what were played in the game. It seen like you are only allowed to move back and forth with the moves that were played in the game? I assume I'm doing something wrong.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

AdminX wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:08 am

That is not true with my setup.

short 99MB screen video

https://www.dropbox.com/s/erajbs03iffiu ... 3.mp4?dl=0
phhnguyen
Full name: Nguyen Hong Pham

Post by phhnguyen »

Whenever an engine prints out string info with the keyword "wdl" BSG will collect data and auto display them in 4 places as a graph, brief info, a column in engine info table (Engine info panel) and in Moves panel as bellow illustration.

That info (wdl) can store with PGN file and next time loading BSG may display them in the graph and in Moves panel.

If you can't see any those info, please check if you turn on that option. You may look at Engine log panel to see if your engine really prints out "wdl".

(Your engine runs quite smoothly with wdl in my computer :D )

https://banksiagui.com
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

Thanks a lot for the report and suggestions!
MikeB wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:48 pm Another suggestion,

Beautify the output ,transferring it from "long algebraic" to algebraic ,i.e., "g1f3" becomes "Nf3 "e2e4" becomes "e4." etc. best to do in th GUI so as not harm the engine when done in the engine exe. Winboard/xboard and the Chessbase products do this. I can dig up some code that does this. It's been done many times.
Yes, you may change move notation. Once the notation changed, any displaying move will use the new notation. Go menu -> File -> Settings (or on macOS menu -> BanksiaGUI -> Preferences) to popup Setting dialog and select move natation as the Fig. 1.
MikeB wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:37 am Also, it's not apparent to me - say you paste a game in to analyze, to play out different moves than what were played in the game. It seen like you are only allowed to move back and forth with the moves that were played in the game? I assume I'm doing something wrong.
BSG can do analyse in two ways:
- analyze a given game: it will auto follow moves one by one and analyse them. Human can't change those moves
- analyze on fly: it auto analyzes current move, auto adapts any changing regardless engines or human make/review those moves. Thus you can make move freely when analyzing by setting human for both sides then making moves for both sides, undo (the dark red button) or jump to any moves (go to begining, previous, next, end moves). Fig. 2 is Analyze dialog, you can select mode (e.g. "On fly") and (one or multi) engines to start analyzing.

Fig 1. Change move notation

Fig 2. Analyse dialog
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

MikeB wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:08 pm In my Honey engines...
When using your engine with the latest BSG I have seen an interesting issue: BSG auto offers to download the network for your engine as below image. It auto popups the dialog as well as showing the special button in EvalFile option to pop up that dialog too.

BSG has been testing a new feature to help users to auto-download NNUE networks for Stockfish NNUE. It makes a mistake that your engine is SF based on the option name. If your engine can use SF NNUE networks, that mistake will become a good feature for users. Otherwise, I am considering correcting that to avoid users' confusion.

Just a few small suggestions to your engine:
- Release binaries with a logo: your engine has an impressive logo and BSG can auto-detect that logo (when installing) and show to users
- You use the name "ShowWDL" as a UCI option. However, not every chess GUI supports that feature. The safe and typical name for that function is "UCI_ShowWDL"

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

phhnguyen wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:39 am
MikeB wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:08 pm In my Honey engines...
When using your engine with the latest BSG I have seen an interesting issue: BSG auto offers to download the network for your engine as below image. It auto popups the dialog as well as showing the special button in EvalFile option to pop up that dialog too.

BSG has been testing a new feature to help users to auto-download NNUE networks for Stockfish NNUE. It makes a mistake that your engine is SF based on the option name. If your engine can use SF NNUE networks, that mistake will become a good feature for users. Otherwise, I am considering correcting that to avoid users' confusion.

Just a few small suggestions to your engine:
- Release binaries with a logo: your engine has an impressive logo and BSG can auto-detect that logo (when installing) and show to users
- You use the name "ShowWDL" as a UCI option. However, not every chess GUI supports that feature. The safe and typical name for that function is "UCI_ShowWDL"

Thank you for taking the time to respond to all of my questions - very, very good. One more question :) , any quick way to copy the entire analysis Window with all of the PVs showing in the panes - (tried control a, control c, but that does appear to work) .