Banksia GUI released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

phhnguyen
Full name: Nguyen Hong Pham

Re: Banksia GUI released

Post by phhnguyen »

To BSG Translators:

BSG is still in the period of intensive/quick development. It changes, updates the interface almost every version. Please help us and other users by frequently check and update the translations then send (both translation source .ts and .qm files) us or tell us where and when the new translation update available.

Thanks all!
https://banksiagui.com
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
Rom77
Full name: Roman Zhukov

Post by Rom77 »

phhnguyen wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 1:04 pm
Rom77 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 5:16 am 2. Awarding the victory in the game occurs for twice as many half-moves as specified in the settings. For example, I have set the victory award ("Resign by engine scores") when exceeding the "Score threshold" -800 cp for 6 ply "Two sides", but the game is awarded after 12 ply on both sides. It is right?
Can you post the end of those games here to verify? If BSG works correctly, it should rule the games based on 6 half-moves of each side, 6 full-moves, or 12 plies in total.
OK, I get it, BSG works as you intended. Setting "Ply range: 6" for "Two sides" means "6 half-moves of each side, 6 full-moves, or 12 plies in total".

phhnguyen wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 1:04 pm
Rom77 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 5:16 am 5. The "Score indicator" next to the board is not too sensitive to small changes in the score. It moves noticeably only when the situation on the board is almost hopeless. This is not very convenient.
Score indicator works based on the current score of the engine that is in turn. Some engines may delay printing out scores or print out incorrect scores (in terms of overall situations), especially in hard cases.

You and/or anyone has ideas to improve? Should we use the average score of two sides or last several ones?
I guess I did not quite express myself clearly. I assumed that it would be nice to limit the range of scores for the “Score indicator”, for example, from -4 to +4, as on chess24.com. Then small changes in the position evalution will be visible. Now, when the range of position evaluation is changing from -10 to +10, the change even by +0.5 is practically not noticeable.

It seems that I have no problems with the engines. All engines behave the same. According to the options for generating the "Score indicator" value that you offer, I do not yet know which option I like more.
silitho
Full name: Silitho Danuur

Post by silitho »

phhnguyen wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 1:38 pm Do you mind to let me publish it with BSG and on my website?
Of course, you can publish it with BSG and on your website.
But at the moment the language package is still work in progress (translated 981/4095 words).

Btw. before I registered in this forum I sent you an email to your gmail address with some
tips, suggestions, possible bugs regarding BanksiaGUI. Did you receive this email?

And one more point ... Every time I start Crafty in BanksiaGUI, it breaks after the
first move. The engine log says:

Code: Select all

"banksia> Illegal move c5 from Crafty-25.3"
No matter which move, it is always illegal. When I use Crafty on the command line,
then it works normally. I suspect the problem is with BanksiaGUI. Can you have a look at this?
phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

silitho wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:46 pm
phhnguyen wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 1:38 pm Do you mind to let me publish it with BSG and on my website?
Of course, you can publish it with BSG and on your website.
But at the moment the language package is still work in progress (translated 981/4095 words).

Btw. before I registered in this forum I sent you an email to your gmail address with some
tips, suggestions, possible bugs regarding BanksiaGUI. Did you receive this email?
Thanks a lot for your help. I have got your email. Sorry for being late! (I didn't check that email frequently).
silitho wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:46 pm And one more point ... Every time I start Crafty in BanksiaGUI, it breaks after the
first move. The engine log says:

Code: Select all

"banksia> Illegal move c5 from Crafty-25.3"
No matter which move, it is always illegal. When I use Crafty on the command line,
then it works normally. I suspect the problem is with BanksiaGUI. Can you have a look at this?
Thanks again for the bug report (it is a new bug from the last version). It has been fixed for the new release.
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
phhnguyen

Version 0.24 beta released

Post by phhnguyen »

Version 0.24 beta released

* Fixed bugs: almost all known bugs, such as wrongly recognized moves from Winboard engines
* Some small improvements/adjustments: such as parsing new stats from LcZero
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

Question: Do you have any plans to bring back Lichess Bots?

Thanks for the updates! :D
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by phhnguyen »

AdminX wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 1:33 pm Question: Do you have any plans to bring back Lichess Bots?

Thanks for the updates! :D
Yes, I have been working on it!

It turned out it is a bug from Lichess and has just been fixed (my bug report: https://github.com/ornicar/lila/issues/6423). According to Lichess, the fix will be deployed to their servers within a few days. I am going to test and if it is OK, I will add it (functions for Lichess Bots) back to the next version.

Thanks all for being patient :D
silitho
Full name: Silitho Danuur

Re: Version 0.24 beta released

Post by silitho »

phhnguyen wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 10:08 am Version 0.24 beta released
first of all, thank you for version 0.24 beta phhnguyen, I have some new feedback regarding this version:

after translation there are some issues regarding the main menu entries:
  • About: is now in Windows (not in BanksiaGUI) -> how can it be placed in BanksiaGUI
  • Preferences: is now in File (not in BanksiaGUI) and the keyboard shortcut 'cmd,' was lost -> how can it be placed in BanksiaGUI and how can I restore the keyboard shortcut?
  • Languages: entries cannot be translated (German -> Deutsch) because there is no text in the language file for these entries
  • additional main menu entry "Tournaments" cannot be translated because there is no text for these entries in the language file
and...
  • Database viewer limit score does not work?
  • show tree view in Database viewer is always empty (even with bgdb files)?
  • french translation file does not work
  • please change the order of menu entries and icons in toolbar for database and opening: 1. open/view 2. create/new
    (because in my opinion the first one is used more often than the second one)
and last but not least the translation of some texts will not be displayed because the english source file has changed
-> how can we organize the merge of the new entries in bsg_en.ts with my bsg_de.ts ?
phhnguyen

Re: Version 0.24 beta released

Post by phhnguyen »

Thanks a lot for the bug report/suggestion.
silitho wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 9:45 pm
phhnguyen wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 10:08 am Version 0.24 beta released
first of all, thank you for version 0.24 beta phhnguyen, I have some new feedback regarding this version:

after translation there are some issues regarding the main menu entries:
  • About: is now in Windows (not in BanksiaGUI) -> how can it be placed in BanksiaGUI
  • Preferences: is now in File (not in BanksiaGUI) and the keyboard shortcut 'cmd,' was lost -> how can it be placed in BanksiaGUI and how can I restore the keyboard shortcut?
  • Languages: entries cannot be translated (German -> Deutsch) because there is no text in the language file for these entries
  • additional main menu entry "Tournaments" cannot be translated because there is no text for these entries in the language file
BSG is in quick development period, few items, dialogs such as About, cmd... may not be used right now (abandoned or work in progress). They may be deleted or back to use later. They are only few on number thus you may ignore/translate them.

Languages: BSG detects language packages in the fly, languages' names are extracted from the system. Perhaps we will use those names without translating.

Some items have just added from the last version. I have updated your TS file with the latest TS (it added new items without deleting your works). Please download and check at https://banksiagui.com/internationalize-bsg . When releasing a new version, I always release with updated translation sources. Please download them before updating.
silitho wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 9:45 pm and...
  • Database viewer limit score does not work?
  • show tree view in Database viewer is always empty (even with bgdb files)?
  • french translation file does not work
  • please change the order of menu entries and icons in toolbar for database and opening: 1. open/view 2. create/new
    (because in my opinion the first one is used more often than the second one)
and last but not least the translation of some texts will not be displayed because the english source file has changed
-> how can we organize the merge of the new entries in bsg_en.ts with my bsg_de.ts ?
- To show tree of a database, you should create tree for it first. Open Database builder (menu -> Tools -> Create database) and select Tasks Tree.
- Look like French translation source was broken. When releasing a new version, I have re-generated all qm files from translation sources thus the one for French does not work. For a temporary solution, please download qm file from Banksia Gui site.
- All other bugs/suggestions will be fixed/implemented.

Thanks again.
Rom77
Full name: Roman Zhukov

Post by Rom77 »

phhnguyen, here are some more questions:

1. Crash again began to occur when minimizing/deploying the BSG window.

2. When using the "Multi timers" mode (in "New tournament"), the time control is not recorded in the "logresults.txt" file in the first line of the tournament. Whereas when the “Multi timers” mode is turned off, the time control of the tournament is recorded in the first line of the tournament.

3. When the "Multi timers" mode is turned off, the default time control is always used in the next tournament, even if another control is indicated near the "Multi timers".

4. Unfortunately, the two old questions that are indicated in my previous posts are still not resolved:
5. The "Score indicator" next to the board is not too sensitive to small changes in the score. It moves noticeably only when the situation on the board is almost hopeless. This is not very convenient.
I guess I did not quite express myself clearly. I assumed that it would be nice to limit the range of scores for the “Score indicator”, for example, from -4 to +4, as on chess24.com. Then small changes in the position evalution will be visible. Now, when the range of position evaluation is changing from -10 to +10, the change even by +0.5 is practically not noticeable.
6. If during the tournament you often call up the "Show all plaing games" window, it will appear lower and lower each time. As a result, you need to constantly raise it up. It would be nice to somehow stabilize this window.
If for any reason you think that they do not need to be changed, please let me know. For my part, I will add a few screenshots here, which may be better to clarify these issues:

- Score indicator" is almost insensitive to changes in position estimates, while the "Score graph" window shows the estimate normally - https://prnt.sc/se3k8a and https://prnt.sc/se3klx

- Before and after ten clicks of the "Show all plaing games" icon (calls to the "Plaing games" window) - https://prnt.sc/se3kza and https://prnt.sc/se3l8g