Banksia GUI released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Rom77
Full name: Roman Zhukov

Re: Banksia GUI released

Post by Rom77 »

phhnguyen, here are a few more problems, suggestions, ideas:

1. The following sequence of actions almost always causes crash:
- Run the GUI. We create "New tournament" (but we do not start). Close the GUI.
- Launch the GUI again, create the "New tournament" (but do not launch it yet).
- From the "Tournament" window we launch the tournament ("Resume").
- Do a double click on the first game in the "Tournament" window. A tab with a game appears above the board, although its display is disabled ("None" is on, but the game is displayed). Go to the other tab (Human vs. Human) and close it. Minimize the GUI window.
- After the end of the first game, deploy the GUI.
- Hanging GUI. The error message.

2. New tournament => Adjudication: => Max game lenght:
Adjudication is indicated in ply. Maybe it’s better to indicate it in the moves? Or at least add a pop-up comment?

3. Tournament
The "status" column displays ply, not the moves. Is that what you intended?

4. Tournament
After clicking "Right click" and then “Delete all” or “Reset to reuse”, a warning “Are you sure?” is desirable, since any wrong click can accidentally erase the entire tournament.

5. Tournament
After selecting a game, or several games, the down arrow does not work. The up arrow only works correctly once.

6. Tournament
Once, in one of the games of the tournament, a "timeout" failure occurred. After that, "Reset selection" was selected for this game and the GUI was restarted. But after restarting the GUI, the message "timeout" for the problematic game appeared again. After re-selecting "Reset selection", the game was restarted. But in the already replayed game, the following problem arose - there was no award of the result for "Resign score" - the GUI finished the game until the checkmate. In the following games there were no problems with the award.

7. Tournament result
Even if "Use percent" is disabled, then at the end of the match, the results in the logresults.txt file are still given in percent.

8. Tournament result
It was difficult for me to immediately guess that the numbers on the “Plain text” tab, designated as “nodes” actually mean “nodes / move”.

9. Tournament result
Not a single tab has a percentage of points scored - "score%". Maybe add it to some place?

10. Tournament
Is it possible to make the "status" column a little wider by default so that the word "playing" fits on one line (on my computer, the last letter g is transferred to the next line)? I can’t fix it myself - after restarting the GUI, the column width is reset to the default value.

11. Tournament
There is an idea - to make it possible to set "Сoncurrency:" = 0. In this case, this parameter would work as a kind of smooth stoppage of the tournament, stopping the games only after their completion. That would allow to suspend the tournament without canceling the already running games.

12. Tournament
What does the “Result” item mean in a pop-up menu after clicking “Right click” on the game? If this is a forced result setting (correction of the result of a game that has already ended), then it does not work. And under certain circumstances, this is a very necessary function.

13. New tournament => Adjudication: => Max game lenght:
What does "Draw by scores" mean? Is it setting a specific threshold for fixing a draw, after a specified number of ply? I did not notice a difference when setting or removing this item. A draw is always fixed when the specified ply number is reached, regardless of the score of the chess engines. If this mark really defines a certain threshold for evaluating chess engines for fixing a draw, can it be done so that it can be somehow regulated? For example, let's say I want to fix draws after 150 moves, with an estimate in the range +/- 0.3.
MCDermont
Full name: Robert Söhnlein

Post by MCDermont »

Post by phhnguyen site 58 my answere :-)
1) The polyglot book now has this castling move. yes but only in youre gui it will be shown
2) The castling move can be seen . yes only in youre gui
3) I use exclusively engine games
4) The problem is that as soon as someone uses the tool and copies a part into the existing book,
the existing book gets corrupted and that shouldn't happen

the program should not only usuable be for humans .
an engine should also be able to use it too but that it cant its stop on the position when it should casteling
and start to think and maybe its calculating any other move and will lose the game why it was the totaly wrong move on this position .

i put a small Video output from Scid and there you can see how it looks on Scid

Please check the both files what i have send to you on youre on with a different program that is important and
let a engine check the bin book on the position if it will play instantly the move 0-0
if you like i will make you another book where only this game is stored and on the position no other move is in the book

but the result will be always the same engine stop and start calculating

( start position fen or something else ) to check if the engine use the move or not from the book

my Programer has checked it allready and he says youre tool will corrupt the bin something is wrong on the code

thx in advance

Jonathan003
Full name: Jonathan Cremers

Post by Jonathan003 »

MCDermont wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:42 am
1) The polyglot book now has this castling move. yes but only in youre gui it will be shown
4) The problem is that as soon as someone uses the tool and copies a part into the existing book,

an engine should also be able to use it too but that it cant its stop on the position when it should casteling
and start to think and maybe its calculating any other move and will lose the game why it was the totaly wrong move on this position .

Please check the both files what i have send to you on youre on with a different program that is important and
let a engine check the bin book on the position if it will play instantly the move 0-0
if you like i will make you another book where only this game is stored and on the position no other move is in the book

( start position fen or something else ) to check if the engine use the move or not from the book

my Programer has checked it allready and he says youre tool will corrupt the bin something is wrong on the code

thx in advance

I didn't know you can add a video capture to Imgur, and share it his way. I have to try that!
I think your video capture would be more clear if you could also capture the mouse movement and maybe some mouse clicking sound.
MCDermont

Post by MCDermont »

Jonathan003 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:26 pm

thx in advance

I didn't know you can add a video capture to Imgur, and share it his way. I have to try that!
I think your video capture would be more clear if you could also capture the mouse movement and maybe some mouse clicking sound.
for a Video you need something like DVDVideoSoft program to record what you do :-)
but than you can put it on Imgur
phhnguyen
Full name: Nguyen Hong Pham

Post by phhnguyen »

Rom77 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:41 am phhnguyen, here are a few more problems, suggestions, ideas:

1. The following sequence of actions almost always causes crash:
- Run the GUI. We create "New tournament" (but we do not start). Close the GUI.
- Launch the GUI again, create the "New tournament" (but do not launch it yet).
- From the "Tournament" window we launch the tournament ("Resume").
- Do a double click on the first game in the "Tournament" window. A tab with a game appears above the board, although its display is disabled ("None" is on, but the game is displayed). Go to the other tab (Human vs. Human) and close it. Minimize the GUI window.
- After the end of the first game, deploy the GUI.
- Hanging GUI. The error message.

2. New tournament => Adjudication: => Max game lenght:
Adjudication is indicated in ply. Maybe it’s better to indicate it in the moves? Or at least add a pop-up comment?

3. Tournament
The "status" column displays ply, not the moves. Is that what you intended?

4. Tournament
After clicking "Right click" and then “Delete all” or “Reset to reuse”, a warning “Are you sure?” is desirable, since any wrong click can accidentally erase the entire tournament.

5. Tournament
After selecting a game, or several games, the down arrow does not work. The up arrow only works correctly once.

6. Tournament
Once, in one of the games of the tournament, a "timeout" failure occurred. After that, "Reset selection" was selected for this game and the GUI was restarted. But after restarting the GUI, the message "timeout" for the problematic game appeared again. After re-selecting "Reset selection", the game was restarted. But in the already replayed game, the following problem arose - there was no award of the result for "Resign score" - the GUI finished the game until the checkmate. In the following games there were no problems with the award.

7. Tournament result
Even if "Use percent" is disabled, then at the end of the match, the results in the logresults.txt file are still given in percent.

8. Tournament result
It was difficult for me to immediately guess that the numbers on the “Plain text” tab, designated as “nodes” actually mean “nodes / move”.

9. Tournament result
Not a single tab has a percentage of points scored - "score%". Maybe add it to some place?

10. Tournament
Is it possible to make the "status" column a little wider by default so that the word "playing" fits on one line (on my computer, the last letter g is transferred to the next line)? I can’t fix it myself - after restarting the GUI, the column width is reset to the default value.

11. Tournament
There is an idea - to make it possible to set "Сoncurrency:" = 0. In this case, this parameter would work as a kind of smooth stoppage of the tournament, stopping the games only after their completion. That would allow to suspend the tournament without canceling the already running games.

12. Tournament
What does the “Result” item mean in a pop-up menu after clicking “Right click” on the game? If this is a forced result setting (correction of the result of a game that has already ended), then it does not work. And under certain circumstances, this is a very necessary function.

13. New tournament => Adjudication: => Max game lenght:
What does "Draw by scores" mean? Is it setting a specific threshold for fixing a draw, after a specified number of ply? I did not notice a difference when setting or removing this item. A draw is always fixed when the specified ply number is reached, regardless of the score of the chess engines. If this mark really defines a certain threshold for evaluating chess engines for fixing a draw, can it be done so that it can be somehow regulated? For example, let's say I want to fix draws after 150 moves, with an estimate in the range +/- 0.3.
Thank you very much for the long and detailed report. Except for the first one (it requires much more time to examine the way OSs update programs in minimized mode) all others have been fixed, updated for the next release.
https://banksiagui.com
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

thx in advance

Do you mean after adding games into an existing Polyglot book, BSG can still use that book but some other GUIs can't use it anymore?
How about a total new Polyglot book created by BSG? Can those GUIs use that book?

Please help me to verify:
- Download GMBook from menu->Tools->Download as bellow image. It is a Polyglot book created by BSG
- Try to use that book with those GUIs and check if they have any problem using that book

Thanks again

The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
phhnguyen

Version 0.20 beta released

Post by phhnguyen »

Version 0.20 beta released

1) Fixed bugs: almost all known bugs so far such as bugs on loading ongoing tournaments, tournament games on from round 2 have no openings, buttons for moving tournament records don’t work…

2) Some small improvements/adjustments

3) Some improvements
  • Configurable adjudication by scores
  • Play via Internet Chess Server such as FICS: show more info, result tables, summary; game can abort; Seek can use formula; Auto seek to continue playing event the account is a computer one.
4) New features
  • Merge opening books in formats PGN and EDP
  • Support multi-languages: it still needs translated language files. if you can, please help us and other people to translate BSG into your languages
MCDermont

Post by MCDermont »

Do you mean after adding games into an existing Polyglot book, BSG can still use that book but some other GUIs can't use it anymore?
How about a total new Polyglot book created by BSG? Can those GUIs use that book?

- Download GMBook from menu->Tools->Download as bellow image. It is a Polyglot book created by BSG
- Try to use that book with those GUIs and check if they have any problem using that book

Thanks again
All other gui can use the book after adding a game into the Polyglot book all moves will be used
but not the casteling move
can be used from the other gui ( Engine start to think on the position ) .
If adding a game with BSG into an existing Polyglot book that will corrupt the existing books just on the position when it should casteling

The problem is only the casteling not any other moves

regards
Robert
Nordlandia

Post by Nordlandia »

I tried syzygy adjudication without success. I bet it come later on :wink:

However i like the bubbles when evaluating tablebase positions 👍
MCDermont

Post by MCDermont »

MCDermont wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:53 am

Thanks again
All other gui can use the book after adding a game into the Polyglot book all moves will be used
but not the casteling move
can be used from the other gui ( Engine start to think on the position ) .
If adding a game with BSG into an existing Polyglot book that will corrupt the existing books just on the position when it should casteling

The problem is only the casteling not any other moves

regards
Robert
a small Video with the downloaded GMBook from youre gui