Banksia GUI released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Ovyron

Re: Banksia GUI released

Post by Ovyron »

phhnguyen wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:15 pm I prefer a simpler logo that has only few details and/or shapes.
Well, if you like the design perhaps it can be simplified?

phhnguyen
Full name: Nguyen Hong Pham

Post by phhnguyen »

Thank you very much for a very detail suggestion! I will implement it soon.
Jonathan003 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:34 pm Hi, Mr Nguyen Hong Pham

I have some requests to implement in future versions of Banksia.
Chess Position Trainer has some unique way to navigate tro a repertoire.
It is possible to jump to positions where there is more than one candidate move for the side of the repertoire. (> candidate).
It is a unique feature for cpt at the moment.
The problem with cpt is that if I jump to a next position with more than one candidate moves, and I delete some candidate moves. CPT often jumps again to the first position with more than one candidate move, when hitting next.
For example, let's say there are 200 positions with more than one candidate moves, for the side of the repertoire, (you can see the nr of position with more than one candidate moves at the bottom in cpt). And I'm at position 99, and delete two of the three candidate moves. And then I hit jump to " > candidate", there is a big change that cpt will jump back to the the first position with more than one candidate move. And I have to hit 99 times on " > candidate" to continue, from where I was. That's very frustrating.
(It would be interesting if cpt could calculate on the fly how many positions there are left with more than on candidate move, after deleting variations, without having to jump to the first position).
I tried to solve this by creating two openings in cpt, one to navigate, and one to keep. I click on "> candidate" in "to navigate" and I delete the variations I don't want to keep in "to keep"
But that also gives problems in cpt. The variations that are deleted still are shown. I have especially problems with bigger repertoire files in cpt, (it becomes very unstable with big repertoire files). I want to start with a big repertoire and then delete candidate moves I don't want to play or I don't expect my opponent will play often.

I have made a video capture of it so you can better understand what I mean:

CPT also has an option to jump to leaf nodes and ad a engine evaluation, (manually or with an engine). Than there is also an option to jump to leaf nodes without a engine evaluation. I would like it if you could implement this in Banksia. Also to be able when in a certain position in opening lines to copy the moves leading to the position, (to check them for opening errors manually).
Here is a screenshot of a part of the manual of cpt that explain different ways of navigating tro a repertoire.

CPT 6 was promised to come out in 2019 according the facebook page of cpt. But it's still not here.

You can download the manual of cpt here: http://www.chesspositiontrainer.com/dow ... Manual.pdf

GRT
https://banksiagui.com
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

Ovyron wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:14 am
phhnguyen wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:15 pm I prefer a simpler logo that has only few details and/or shapes.
Well, if you like the design perhaps it can be simplified?

Thanks a lot for the new logo. It is so nice too.

However, I still prefer simpler ones with significantly fewer details and/or shapes. Perhaps, may it have some bigger/curve shapes/areas? (just thought since there is no limit for creatives).

Thanks again
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
brinan
Full name: bri nan

Additional Feature

Post by brinan »

Have you decided whether to allow an engine(s) to be prevented from using the opening book?

For example, in a match, Stockfish 11 would access the chosen book as normal, but Lc0 would have had an engine-specific flag set preventing access.
Click on www button for all event details and games.
News can be received automatically by subscribing to my RSS feed (click on icon near top).
phhnguyen

Re: Additional Feature

Post by phhnguyen »

brinan wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:54 am Have you decided whether to allow an engine(s) to be prevented from using the opening book?

For example, in a match, Stockfish 11 would access the chosen book as normal, but Lc0 would have had an engine-specific flag set preventing access.
Thanks a lot for the feature request. I have added it to my TODO list. I have grouped it with another feature that assigns different opening books for different engines.

The feature is interesting but looks like it may confuse users when using (it requires a more complicated interface to set up and work with some opening types only - won't work with PGN, EDP books) as well as being low demanding (just guessed) thus I set it with a bit low priority. More ideas, suggestions, opinions (on that feature) are welcome!
phhnguyen

Version 0.18 released

Post by phhnguyen »

Version 0.18 released

* Fixed bugs: almost all known bugs so far such as bugs on database/opening tools, crashed when changing piece styles…
* Some small improvements/adjustments
* Improved features: Play via local network. All engines on a computer can be seen and/or participated in a tournament from other computers. Now we can create tournaments with multi-engines on each computer. That may help to organize "fairer" tournaments when engines can stay in individual computers, take all hardware when playing without being interfered by other engines
* New/trial feature: Broadcast live/no-live games. With a few clicks, users can easily and quickly broadcast any games with full move comments (they may have computing information). Other users can see, watch games and/or download them

Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

Well, before giving up let me check if this is one instance where minimizing effort is required...

*throws this together in 10 minutes*

phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

Thanks a lot. I love that simpleness, especially the color, the shape and the simplicity of the red one.

Just a few ideas as I wish:
- The middle of the logo is currently transparent, making it looks a bit weak and maybe not clear in some situations. Can you create the logo with 3 (or a few) larger color areas (such as the red, the yellow and the green areas, they may be filled areas or have significantly bigger strokes)?
- The yellow shape is a bit complicated, could it be a bit simpler?
- If green shapes denote for leaves of Banksia, it would be a bit longer and narrower to avoid being other kinds of plans

Your help is always highly appreciated :)
mikebock
Full name: Michael Bock

Post by mikebock »

Bug: When opening a game from the db, it seems to correctly load the game but not the players names.
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »