Banksia GUI released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Re: Version 0.13 released

Post by Laskos »

BrendanJNorman wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:11 am
supersharp77 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:23 pm
phhnguyen wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:18 am Version 0.13 released

1) Bugs fixed: almost all known bugs so far, including (serious ones):
- Crashed when creating a database and/or open games from databases in some systems
- Could not parse some PGN games
- Ruled O-O+ and O-O-O+ as illegal moves
- Did not swap multi-timers when changing engines’ sides in tournaments

2) Some small improvements/adjustments

3) New features:
- Open PGN games from URLs
- Analyze games using multi engines (just select multi engines as bellow illustration)

14 Is A "Lucky Number" for me I will await the release of update GUI v0.14..any news on saving multiple ongoing tournaments in the Banksia GUI? Thx AR :D :wink:
The speed that this guy is releasing is breath-taking - I really wish we could support him somehow.

I'm going to review Banksia on my website, so that'll get him a ton of new users, but still...

This GUI is going to the the dominant one for computer chess by end of 2020, I have no doubts.

Love it.

Really impressive work.
Yes, isn't the speed of development and quality amazing? This guy in weeks is doing what other entire groups of developers are doing in years.
phhnguyen
Full name: Nguyen Hong Pham

Re: Banksia GUI released

Post by phhnguyen »

Thanks all for good words :D
-----

I have started working to show engine icons/logos. There is some information I don’t know.

Q: Are there (semi) standards about icons/logos on:
- sizes
- image types (png, gif, jpeg)?
- names (same names with their engines)?
- paths (same folders with their engines)?

Basically I am finding if chess GUIs could automatically detect those icons or users have to set up them manually.

Thanks in advance
https://banksiagui.com
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
Ferdy

Re: Version 0.13 released

Post by Ferdy »

phhnguyen wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:18 am Version 0.13 released

1) Bugs fixed: almost all known bugs so far, including (serious ones):
- Crashed when creating a database and/or open games from databases in some systems
- Could not parse some PGN games
- Ruled O-O+ and O-O-O+ as illegal moves
- Did not swap multi-timers when changing engines’ sides in tournaments

2) Some small improvements/adjustments

3) New features:
- Open PGN games from URLs
- Analyze games using multi engines (just select multi engines as bellow illustration)
It adjudicated this position with insufficient material. But this is not over yet, it should allow the game to continue.

[d]8/8/8/4k3/5BK1/8/6b1/8 b - - 0 78

The same situation for the following position, it also adjudicated this as insufficient material.

[d]8/8/8/4kN2/3n4/8/5K2/8 b - - 0 80
BrendanJNorman
Full name: Brendan J Norman

Post by BrendanJNorman »

phhnguyen wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:24 am Thanks all for good words :D
-----

I have started working to show engine icons/logos. There is some information I don’t know.

Q: Are there (semi) standards about icons/logos on:
- sizes
- image types (png, gif, jpeg)?
- names (same names with their engines)?
- paths (same folders with their engines)?

Basically I am finding if chess GUIs could automatically detect those icons or users have to set up them manually.

Thanks in advance
Arena allows you to select and assign your engine logo, while Fritz requires the engine to be in .BMP format, in the same folder and have the exact same name as the engine file.

Obviously the Arena approach is more user friendly.

Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

Probably auto-detect if there's a .BMP file with the engine name on the folder so people that already set their engines in the Fritz GUI are set up, but allow users to change it when installing the engine.
carldaman

Post by carldaman »

(in response to Ferdy's last post)

Current FIDE rules notwithstanding, common sense would suggest those positions (K+B/N vs K+B/N) should be as good as 'insufficient material'. If tablebase adjudication was present it would automatically be drawn in 99.99% of cases.

It's true that very unlikely checkmates (in the corner of the board) may still be possible with that material, and hence the current rules, but this possibility is so remote it does not make much sense to let the game go on. Of course, one could argue that a study-like position could maybe occur where checkmate could be delivered on the next move and we don't want that situation unfairly adjudicated as an insufficient material draw.

One potential compromise tweak to this rule would be to adjudicate these positions as draws, but only if neither King is in the corner. Otherwise, let the game continue until this condition is no longer applicable or a checkmate/stalemate or capture occurs.

Not sure if a GUI could implement this easily without at least 4-man TB adjudication.
BrendanJNorman

Post by BrendanJNorman »

Ovyron wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:24 am Probably auto-detect if there's a .BMP file with the engine name on the folder so people that already set their engines in the Fritz GUI are set up, but allow users to change it when installing the engine.
But why model the Fritz way of doing things when Fritz is the least user friendly GUI for computer chess?

The fritz method means that you essentially need a different .exe for every engine personality (logo) you create, even if using the same engine.
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

No, it'd just check if it's already set up to set a default image, just so people that already did it for Fritz don't need to do anything to get a logo for their engine.
BrendanJNorman

Post by BrendanJNorman »

Ovyron wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:35 am No, it'd just check if it's already set up to set a default image, just so people that already did it for Fritz don't need to do anything to get a logo for their engine.
Sure. Arena already does this. If it finds a .BMP file with the same name as the exe, it assigns it automatically.

But if there is none, it can be assigned with a simple selection box.

Best of both worlds. 8-)
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

That's what I was suggesting :) - sorry I wasn't clear.