Banksia GUI released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

JohnW

Re: Banksia GUI released

Post by JohnW »

Maybe I am missing something but the "Result" menu option doesn't seem to do anything so I can't quickly see which engine is winning\won the tournament.
Ferdy

Re: BanksiaGUI version 0.11 released

Post by Ferdy »

Guenther wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:04 pm
phhnguyen wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:57 am Version 0.11 released

1) Bugs fixed: almost all known bugs so far, including:
- Can't detect engines which space characters in their paths
- Did not use init strings for engines (those strings work as command line parameters)

2) Some small improvements/adjustments

3) New features:
- Customization clock: position, colors, font sizes
- Remember multi-users' themes and layouts
- Piece size can be scaled
- Create opening books PGN and EPD
Good work!
CMD args work now (only tested on Abrok so far though)
Theme/Layout saving works too
Player names much better to see now
I would like to save my played games, but banksiaautogame.pgn is in overwrite mode, so my old played games are not saved. Can you make it append mode or perhaps add an option to overwrite or append.
Jonathan003
Full name: Jonathan Cremers

Post by Jonathan003 »

If you can see games in the database, the database is good and ready for creating books.

Go menu -> Tools -> Create Opening to open below dialog. Fill in database path and path of your new book, select book type and hit Process then wait a bit (ignore all other options).
Thanks for the explanation.

I tried to make a bgbd database file from a pgn database, but that didn't work. Banksia crashes on my pc if I try this.

It works for making bin opening books from the gm2001.bgbd file.

I also tried the pgn book format as output.

I compared the bin book to the pgn book. Its seems like many variations are missing in the pgn book. Maybe it has something to do with the settings I used.

I used these settings for the bin book:

And these settings for the pgn book:

I made a ctg book from the pgn book in chessbase to compare them.
This is how the books look like if I compare them with SCID en Chessbase:

It doesn't work for me to attach pictures in this forum. That's why I use links to my google drive.
phhnguyen
Full name: Nguyen Hong Pham

Post by phhnguyen »

BrendanJNorman wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:16 am Feature Requests:

- Support for font-based piece sets
- Display a logo and Elo in clock area
Thanks a lot for all suggestions/ideas. I have added them into my TODO list.
BrendanJNorman wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:16 am - Pause/Restart Tournaments later
You can do that now. When creating a new tournament, just uncheck the box "Play" next to Start button. BSG will create a tournament in pausing mode (won't play any games). You may resume/stop later.

BrendanJNorman wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:16 am
Appreciate your great work, Hong Pham.

P.S. What do the options in "Shuffle" mean (None,Players,Games, Carousel)? In my tournaments, it seems weird if its round robin for example, and one engine plays 4 games, then another plays a few or whatever...seems kinda random.
Because of being software, for a similar input (same engine list, tour types...) BSG will create exactly the same list of games for a tournament event you re-create many times. It is so boring. "Shuffle" tells BSG to make that list be random order.

Tip: you may re-order manually the games in the tournament. E.g., sometimes you want a pair to play first. Just drag/drop a game (or a group of selected games) to a new position. You may use buttons up, down on top of that list to move selected games too.
https://banksiagui.com
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

Ferdy wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:41 pm
phhnguyen wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:12 am
Ferdy wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:03 am
I would suggest to include these 2 options in the engine option box once the engine is installed for user convenience. Although it is prefixed with UCI it does not mean that the engine option box is a bad location to put these 2 options. The user can create an engine config which may use this UCI_LimitStrength/UCI_Elo option pair and can easily select such configuration.
Thanks for the suggestion.
BSG from 0.11 allows using UCI_LimitStrength/UCI_Elo. If an engine is used with BSG from older versions, users may need to re-detect that engine thus BSG can recognize and save those options.
I tried a new engine installation (Rhetoric) on v0.11 alpha. This engine supports UCI_LimitStrength/UCI_Elo options. But those options are still not shown in engine options box. Please see image below.

Console:

Code: Select all

Rhetoric 1.4.3 x64 UCI by Alberto Sanjuan, Spain
uci
id name Rhetoric 1.4.3 x64
id author Alberto Sanjuan
id country Spain
option name Hash type spin min 4 max 1024 default 128
option name Clear Hash type button
option name Use Log File type check
option name MultiPV type spin min 1 max 4 default 1
option name Material type spin min 50 max 200 default 100
option name UCI_LimitStrength type check default false
option name UCI_Elo type spin min 1300 max 2600 default 2600
option name UCI_EngineAbout type string default www.chessrhetoric.com
uciok

Oops, so sorry I messed my mind. UCI_LimitStrength/UCI_Elo options will be supported for the next version 0.12.
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

JohnW wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:16 pm Maybe I am missing something but the "Result" menu option doesn't seem to do anything so I can't quickly see which engine is winning\won the tournament.
In the below image, users can see:
- In the Tournament panel (on the left side): which games are completed, their results and who won.
- In the Tournamenet result panel (on the bottom): There are few tabs with different information. E.g. in a cross tab is the crosstable, it shows scores of each engines, scores vs other engines, numbers of games,...

All info on all panels are automatically up to date when tournament playing.

phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

Ferdy wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:29 pm
I would like to save my played games, but banksiaautogame.pgn is in overwrite mode, so my old played games are not saved. Can you make it append mode or perhaps add an option to overwrite or append.

This feature (overwrite or append mode for banksiaautogame.pgn) is one of simple but headache thing. That file is designed to help users to continue/resume a game after BSG/system crashes. Thus it is not for normal use and doesn't require attendance from users. Users should save their games manually after finishing games. If we use append mode it can save everything. However, the file size may grow unattended.

Perhaps, I will add some "clever" ways such as storing the last 10 games into banksiaautogame.pgn and/or allow auto-save games into a database.
phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

Jonathan003 wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:01 pm
If you can see games in the database, the database is good and ready for creating books.

Go menu -> Tools -> Create Opening to open below dialog. Fill in database path and path of your new book, select book type and hit Process then wait a bit (ignore all other options).
Thanks for the explanation.

I tried to make a bgbd database file from a pgn database, but that didn't work. Banksia crashes on my pc if I try this.
Thanks for the report. I have just fixed a bug (for the next release) makes BSG crash when BSG see some comments in odd structures. Hope the next version can run with your PGN database.
Jonathan003 wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:01 pm It works for making bin opening books from the gm2001.bgbd file.

I also tried the pgn book format as output.

I compared the bin book to the pgn book. Its seems like many variations are missing in the pgn book. Maybe it has something to do with the settings I used.

I used these settings for the bin book:

And these settings for the pgn book:

I made a ctg book from the pgn book in chessbase to compare them.
This is how the books look like if I compare them with SCID en Chessbase:

It doesn't work for me to attach pictures in this forum. That's why I use links to my google drive.
Can you set both "min game length" and "repeat at least" boxes to zero (in Game condition) then re-create books? That allows BSG to take all games and save to books.
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

phhnguyen wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:55 am
Ferdy wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:29 pm

This feature (overwrite or append mode for banksiaautogame.pgn) is one of simple but headache thing. That file is designed to help users to continue/resume a game after BSG/system crashes. Thus it is not for normal use and doesn't require attendance from users. Users should save their games manually after finishing games. If we use append mode it can save everything. However, the file size may grow unattended.

Perhaps, I will add some "clever" ways such as storing the last 10 games into banksiaautogame.pgn and/or allow auto-save games into a database.
All right I see now the main purpose of banksiaautogame.pgn. How about creating a new file say appendautosavehumangames.pgn where it is in append mode and only completed games (with results 1/2-1/2, 1-0 and 0-1) are saved here from human vs engine games. The file size should not be critical as this is only for human vs engine games. The filename appendautosavehumangames.pgn indicates that this file is in append mode and would help the user decide to archive it somewhere to save disk space if needed.
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

Feature Request: Ability to connect to 2 systems for remote network play. Example PC1 Running Banksia connecting to PC2 running Banksia over local network. :D
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."