Banksia GUI released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

phhnguyen
Full name: Nguyen Hong Pham

Re: Banksia GUI released

Post by phhnguyen »

Thanks all for reporting/helping!

I have just uploaded new binaries to fix some bugs about adding engines. Since I can reproduce some but not all types of bugs thus I fixed some issues based on guessing. Please try and tell me if it is OK. Thanks for helping.

Other bugs/issues will be fixed later.
https://banksiagui.com
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
Ponti

Post by Ponti »

Are there any Windows 10 install files or do I have to compile v. 3.0 ?
A. Ponti
AMD Ryzen 1800x, Windows 10.
FIDE current ratings: standard 1913, rapid 1931
RubiChess
Full name: Andreas Matthies

Post by RubiChess »

The GUI preview binaries are at https://banksiagui.com/preview-versions/
RubiChess
Full name: Andreas Matthies

Post by RubiChess »

Hi.

I started testing the GUI and I can confirm that there are still (0.10b) problems detecting new engines but...
The problems seems to disappear when I change the "Working folder" textbox from default (folder where the engine executable is) to a folder without spaces in the pathname.

Hope that helps.

Andreas
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

AdminX wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:08 pm Two Request more please: :D

* Customization option of font color for Engine Name and Clock Time (It may make it easier to view depending on user Theme.)
I agree here the size of the players name is a bit too small (at least with desktop monitors) and colours are unfortunately currently,
especially the green for always one player.
I like the simple and descriptive way WB does it. Here the background of the white player is white and the font black, for the black
player it is reversed. We can already see who's turn to play it is from the clock ticking and there will be no problem with the 'colour spot' of the engine, because it has a black border anyway.
https://rwbc-chess.de

trollwatch:
Chessqueen + chessica + AlexChess + Eduard + Sylwy
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

Ponti wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:25 am Are there any Windows 10 install files or do I have to compile v. 3.0 ?
No, binary file is located here. https://github.com/nguyenpham/Banksia/releases
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."
Full name: Gabor Szots

Post by Gabor Szots »

Time forfeits are handled by inserting [Termination "timeout"] in the PGN header. However, CCRL scripts do not recognize them as such so we will have to edit all Banksia PGN files and locate time forfeits manually. For the scripts to recognize time forfeits, the information will have to be at the end of the game. Here are some examples from other GUI's:
{White forfeits on time} 0-1

Or an example from ChessBase:
78. Kf2 {[%eval 428,17] [%emt 0:00:00]} Nxg4+ {
[%eval 574,26] [%emt 0:00:02] Time} 0-1
Would it be possible for Banksia to do it the same way?
Gabor Szots
CCRL testing group
phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

RubiChess wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:52 am Hi.

I started testing the GUI and I can confirm that there are still (0.10b) problems detecting new engines but...
The problems seems to disappear when I change the "Working folder" textbox from default (folder where the engine executable is) to a folder without spaces in the pathname.

Hope that helps.

Andreas
Phew, thanks!

Actually, it is a known problem which we have discussed already before: BSG uses a 3rd party library for running processes and that library has a problem with a space character in the working folder. I plan to be back to this problem later.

Now I can sleep (just joking) :lol: and look to other issues
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

Guenther wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:46 am Had a little trouble with making it read my huge engines.json file again.
Just in case someone has the same problem here is the description of the reason.

Older Banksia added generic colours for all my (minimal) entries and the difference was that those colours
were added with a minus sign, after removing those it works again now in the current version.

Code: Select all

"color" : -4244319,
=>

"color" : 4244319,
BSG used to use only 3 bytes for colors (rgb) but then change to 4 bytes with alpha channel in the highest byte (color = a << 3 | r << 2 | g << 1 | b). Thus the integer becomes negative when alpha is large. Last time I change to use an unsigned integer to avoid negative but made some troubles. New binaries (today upload 0.10b) solved those problems and accepted both negative and positive numbers.
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

phhnguyen wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:18 pm
Guenther wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:46 am Had a little trouble with making it read my huge engines.json file again.
Just in case someone has the same problem here is the description of the reason.

Older Banksia added generic colours for all my (minimal) entries and the difference was that those colours
were added with a minus sign, after removing those it works again now in the current version.

"color" : -4244319,
=>

"color" : 4244319,
BSG used to use only 3 bytes for colors (rgb) but then change to 4 bytes with alpha channel in the highest byte (color = a << 3 | r << 2 | g << 1 | b). Thus the integer becomes negative when alpha is large. Last time I change to use an unsigned integer to avoid negative but made some troubles. New binaries (today upload 0.10b) solved those problems and accepted both negative and positive numbers.
I also noticed syntax has changed. "Command" now uses "\\" and "Working folder" now uses "/" in Windoes 10

Old

"arguments" : [],
      "color" : -11851927,
      "command" : "D:/Chess Engines/Wasp 3.0/Wasp375-x64-modern.exe",
      "elo" : 0,
      "initStrings" : [],
      "name" : "Wasp 3.75",
      "protocol" : "uci",
      "working folder" : "D:\\Chess Engines\\Wasp 3.0"
    },
New