Banksia GUI released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

BrendanJNorman
Full name: Brendan J Norman

Re: Banksia GUI released

Post by BrendanJNorman »

phhnguyen wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:38 pm
Damir wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:57 am it would be nice to see an option: '' Create Engine''. :) :)
BSG has functions to add engines but not create. Can you tell me more? Thanks
I think he means that when you change UCI options (contempt, evaluation options, polyglot book, etc) it'd be nice to be able to "save as" a new instance of the engine, rather than have to always enter your values manually.

I'd also be interested in this feature too.
phhnguyen
Full name: Nguyen Hong Pham

Post by phhnguyen »

BrendanJNorman wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:30 am
Damir wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:57 am it would be nice to see an option: '' Create Engine''. :) :)
I think he means that when you change UCI options (contempt, evaluation options, polyglot book, etc) it'd be nice to be able to "save as" a new instance of the engine, rather than have to always enter your values manually.

I am a bit confused. Do you mean it is a kind of "duplicate" function? Do you want to create several configurations/records of a given engine?
https://banksiagui.com
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

phhnguyen wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:29 am
BrendanJNorman wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:30 am

I am a bit confused. Do you mean it is a kind of "duplicate" function? Do you want to create several configurations/records of a given engine?
Yes, I think that is what they mean. For Example LC0 Configs One for One GPU and another for Two GPU's. As of right now I just use two directories for LC0 and install the engine twice and give them names like LC0 1GPU and LC0 2GPU. Otherwise I would have to keep modifying the config for LC0. I guess I could also just modify the Json Config for LCO and create a duplicate entry and give it a different name with different settings.
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by AdminX »

I found a small issue with ECO index, in the game below the game started as a Kings Indian, but later transposed in a Grünfeld, yet ECO did not detect it in the Notation window.

Post by phhnguyen »

AdminX wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:56 am Yes, I think that is what they mean. For Example LC0 Configs One for One GPU and another for Two GPU's. As of right now I just use two directories for LC0 and install the engine twice and give them names like LC0 1GPU and LC0 2GPU. Otherwise I would have to keep modifying the config for LC0. I guess I could also just modify the Json Config for LCO and create a duplicate entry and give it a different name with different settings.
Thanks! The function (copy/duplicate engines) will be added for the next release.

For the current version, you may create several "new" engines from a given engine (same path). When adding a new engine, just re-select that path of the engine and give (manually) them different names.
AdminX wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:01 am I found a small issue with ECO index, in the game below the game started as a Kings Indian, but later transposed in a Grünfeld, yet ECO did not detect it in the Notation window.

Thanks a lot for the report.

I am working on this issue. However, I am struggling to find which Grünfeld it is. Can you give me ECO and/or the full name of the opening? Thanks.
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

phhnguyen wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:17 am

I am working on this issue. However, I am struggling to find which Grünfeld it is. Can you give me ECO and/or the full name of the opening? Thanks.
Sure! ECO is D85 Exchange Grünfeld

Post by AdminX »

Thanks! The function (copy/duplicate engines) will be added for the next release.

For the current version, you may create several "new" engines from a given engine (same path). When adding a new engine, just re-select that path of the engine and give (manually) them different names.
Ahh, Thanks that is good to know.

Post by Gregory Owett »

Hi, if possible, an option to "turn off the machine after the tournament".😀
phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

AdminX wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:28 am

Sure! ECO is D85 Exchange Grünfeld
Thanks!

From my document, I have found 2 openings D85:

Code: Select all

[ECO "D85"]
[Opening "Gruenfeld"]
[Variation "exchange variation"]

1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 g6 3. Nc3 d5 4. cxd5 Nxd5 *

[ECO "D85"]
[Opening "Gruenfeld"]
[Variation "modern exchange variation"]

1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 g6 3. Nc3 d5 4. cxd5 Nxd5 5. e4 Nxc3 6. bxc3 Bg7 7. Nf3 *
To find ECO for a given game, I try to match all positions of that game to the list of last positions (not move sequences) of ECO sample games.

All the above ECO games have not any castling moves when your game has (count to the end of move 5). That is why your game can't match to them.

Perhaps do I miss some D85?
phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

Gregory Owett wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:14 pm Hi, if possible, an option to "turn off the machine after the tournament".😀
Sure! And thanks for an interesting idea!

That function will be in the next release. It works well for MS Windows. However, I have trouble getting privileges (for shutting down) on other systems (Linux, macOS) thus it may delay (or never if it is too complicated) for those systems.