Official Release of Ethereal 11.75, supporting MultiPV

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

ThatsIt

Re: Official Release of Ethereal 11.75, supporting MultiPV

Post by ThatsIt »

Truly concurrency=32 on a 4 core machine?? That must go wrong.

Best wishes,
G.S.
(CEGT team)
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

ThatsIt wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:53 pm Truly concurrency=32 on a 4 core machine?? That must go wrong.

Best wishes,
G.S.
(CEGT team)
Well, I was simply speechless, when this was revealed ;-)
It also cries for other problems to rely on default hash and default thread number of all programs instead of setting it.

I wonder though, why it should have worked at all before? Probably the pgn was never really checked.
https://rwbc-chess.de

trollwatch:
Chessqueen + chessica + AlexChess + Eduard + Sylwy
AndrewGrant
Full name: Andrew Grant

Post by AndrewGrant »

drj4759 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:22 am run chess engine windows executables because WINE is installed in my machine.
Okay, well this would explain the original issue at least. Ethereal as far as I know does not work under WINE. I don't have specifics as to why, but I'm not interested since building a binary for Linux is trivial.
drj4759 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:22 am This version was compiled with mingw in Ubuntu with "make release" command where the makefile was changed first to point to the mingw executable instead of the default CC=gcc.
And this would explain the latter crashes, since you still built a Windows binary.
#WeAreAllDraude #JusticeForDraude #RememberDraude #LeptirBigUltra
"Those who can't do, clone instead" - Eduard ( A real life friend, not this forum's Eduard )
drj4759

Post by drj4759 »

A year ago, I was using Arena 3.5 as my primary chess engines tournament program using a maximum of 7 instances to run a tournament. I got the inspiration to use 32 concurrencies with cutechess when Ethereal became very strong and Andrew revealed that he was using 32 bit concurrencies in cutechess to run million games to test Ethereal. I was intrigued, tested it myself and was blown that it could even run when I increased it to 64 concurrencies under Linux. This was a huge resource saver. Instead of using five 5 core AMD computers to run tournaments for rating list publication, I could just use one 4 core computer which is what I am having now.

I am also surprised that Andrew is not fully aware that Ethereal with Windows binary could run on Linux where WINE is installed. Perhaps, I am the only one running chess engine tournaments with all Windows binary executables under Linux. The best way to verify this is for the unbelievers to test it for themselves and then share their experiences.

The proof that Ethereal is working under cutechess and Linux is to visit my website chessowl.blogspot.com and download all the gauntlet pgn's then look the contents. All other primary engines running under the gauntlet also run with cutechess and Linux including all the Stockfish and Clones. The pgn's are unaltered and you could see what cutechess is commenting for each move. All of these engines are Windows binaries with .exe extension which you can also download in the tournament score board links.
drj4759

Post by drj4759 »

Correction: "Instead of using five 5 core AMD computers" to "Instead of using five 4 core AMD computers"
ThatsIt

Post by ThatsIt »

Where can i find PGN-files of your test for example with Ethereal 11.73?

Best wishes,
G.S.
(CEGT team)
drj4759

Post by drj4759 »

I withheld the publication of my rating list featuring Vajolet 2.2.8.0, Demolito 2019-11-03, Xiphos 0.6 and Ethereal 11.73 pending the fix of Ethereal 11.75. Since you asked, I am forced to publish it. First you will see the Ethereall 11.75 gauntlet with PGN's a few minutes from now and then the rest with the running information of ELO rating scores. All of these are running cutechess 1.1 under Linux and they are all Windows executables. This should counter Andrews argument that Ethereal was not designed with WINE in mind and its causing the Ethereal 11.75 problems for WINE just takes care of Windows executables and is not responsible with program bugs.
ThatsIt

Post by ThatsIt »

Could you share the downloadlink here please?

Best wishes,
G.S.
(CEGT team)
drj4759

Post by drj4759 »

Just posted Ethereal 11.73 gauntlet. Download link is: http://chessowl.blogspot.com/2019/11/et ... gines.html
drj4759

Post by drj4759 »

And here is the link of Ethereal 11.75 gauntlet done a few hours just after the Ethereal 11.73 was finished:
http://chessowl.blogspot.com/2019/11/et ... gines.html