https://mzchessforum.altervista.org

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: bob, hgm, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
User avatar
Ovyron
Posts: 3105
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:30 am

Re: https://mzchessforum.altervista.org

Post by Ovyron » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:08 pm

Okay, but don't force people to use it, don't make them feel bad if they don't want to use a generic button and would rather express themselves.

Let the people that suggested the button use it and the people that want to show appreciation in a post do it. Saying thanks in a post should never be wrong.

Everything else is censorship, and that's what pushed me over the edge on MZ Chess, because I made 9 posts there, and 3 were deleted, I can't just stand in a place where one third of my posts will be censored :shock:
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

Aleksei
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:14 pm
Full name: Aleksei

Re: https://mzchessforum.altervista.org

Post by Aleksei » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:18 pm

Ovyron wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:37 pm
Sharing is done for the enjoyment of other people, not getting thanked or accumulating Thanks which is just a meaningless number that raises used to discriminate people.
LOL, I never heard something like that. Weren't you taught by your guardians in childhood to say Thank you? Do you even know what gratitude is? :lol:
Listening you, looks like you are contradicting to yourself, from the beginning you say why they delete "thank you" posts, on the other hand, you don’t like the thank you button.. Decide finally! :lol:
Have a good evening/night!

Hurnavich
Posts: 722
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:14 pm

Re: https://mzchessforum.altervista.org

Post by Hurnavich » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:30 pm

Aleksei wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:04 pm
Ovyron wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:02 am
-A moderator appears and warns the second user about how they shouldn't be thanking in a post and should be using the thank button on posts.

Result: People that thank other people are being censored now? :shock:
I don't know about everything else, but i can tell you one thing. Just imagine that new version of SugaR or ShashChess appears, and every user will start to write - "Thank you" or "That's great" or "Much appreciated" etc,won't this create a mess / flood? :roll: That’s why administrators added a “Thank you” button to avoid "clogging/flood", call it whatever you like.
This "type" of gratitude was suggested by the users themselves, because very often in order to find something, it was necessary to go back many pages.
So if you think about it, it make sense! :P
This is right on the point
"May your next game be your best"

Hurnavich
Posts: 722
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:14 pm

Re: https://mzchessforum.altervista.org

Post by Hurnavich » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:38 pm

People can say what they want that's democracy the main point is if the forum is gone then everyone will need to source from more than one forum to get what they want if they say thanks or not the MZ forum was a good organised forum for many DBs engines and books

were can you find a forum that has daily updates with the same drive and output as we had?if you did not care for the politics of it you could just be quite take what you wanted and go simple no hassle.

If many were honest even thouse who left officially will of still got what was offered there by other file share sites anyway and many had multi accounts says it all.

Lets see if the critics have anything to say when the fountain runs dry just saying
"May your next game be your best"

User avatar
Ovyron
Posts: 3105
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:30 am

Re: https://mzchessforum.altervista.org

Post by Ovyron » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:46 pm

Aleksei wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:18 pm
LOL, I never heard something like that. Weren't you taught by your guardians in childhood to say Thank you? Do you even know what gratitude is? :lol:
Are you now accusing me of never thanking? What was I doing in this post, then?
Aleksei wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:18 pm
Listening you, looks like you are contradicting to yourself, from the beginning you say why they delete "thank you" posts, on the other hand, you don’t like the thank you button.. Decide finally! :lol:
Have a good evening/night!
Where's the contradiction? I'm arguing about what is sharing, that you shouldn't demand stuff from people when you share, because then it becomes "begware" (you do it because you want something in return), and for the rights of people to thank in a post instead of having to use an imposed artificial "thanking" system (don't confuse a Thank button with gratitude, anyone can press the thank button even if they're not grateful), and for people to stop labeling people with stuff like "sharers and grabbers" and then making others feel bad if they don't share even if they don't know their situation.

The point where you become a sharer at MZ Chess was arbitrary anyway, you need to share 10 things to be able to see attachments, so apparently even people that shared 9 things are still "grabbers" :shock:
Hurnavich wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:38 pm
Lets see if the critics have anything to say when the fountain runs dry just saying
It would be a first, if MZ Chess dies and isn't replaced by something better. People don't like to leave their comfort zone, they only do it if they have to, like people wanting to share and others wanting what is shared. If there's supply and demand people will find a way.

The fountain will never run dry because the people that want to share will continue to do so and MZ Chess wasn't the only place where it could be done, and new ones can be created.

(or maybe MZ Chess is back tomorrow and all these discussions become moot :lol: )

Dann Corbit
Posts: 10244
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:57 pm
Location: Redmond, WA USA
Contact:

Re: https://mzchessforum.altervista.org

Post by Dann Corbit » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:51 pm

it is a greater gift if you expect nothing in return
also a better strategy, because that is what you are usually going to get
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.

User avatar
Ovyron
Posts: 3105
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:30 am

Re: https://mzchessforum.altervista.org

Post by Ovyron » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:58 pm

Dann Corbit wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:51 pm
it is a greater gift if you expect nothing in return
This is true in life, in general. Most of the frustration in the world is caused because people do X to get Y, and then they don't get Y. It's clear X should be done because you enjoy doing X.

supersharp77
Posts: 785
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:54 am
Location: Southwest USA

Re: https://mzchessforum.altervista.org Gone?

Post by supersharp77 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:21 pm

https://mzchessforum.altervista.org

stavros wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:19 am
is this website down? has anyone access?
Graham Banks wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:00 am
From Marco:

Perhaps we have lost the Forum forever
I can in no way restore it
I made a thousand different attempts
BrendanJNorman wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:43 am
kramnik wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:34 am
I suspect the site was hacked by someone who was mistreated by the admins.
Or more likely, by a company who is losing a lot of money due to piracy.

Surely they can afford to hire an "ethical hacker" to solve such a problem for them.

Perhaps the same one who was hired to solve the same "problem" at immortal chess forum? :lol:
Dann Corbit wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:51 pm
it is a greater gift if you expect nothing in return
also a better strategy, because that is what you are usually going to get
dannyb wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:40 am
BrendanJNorman wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:43 am
Perhaps the same one who was hired to solve the same "problem" at immortal chess forum? :lol:
immortal chess was more immoral than immortal....glad they put it down

Lots Of interesting opinions/quotes....A bit surprised to hear the news and in my opinion the news is Bad...Caught me by surprise due to the ongoing Attacks against The Old and New Immortalchess forum (which were 100% successful) had distracted me to their ongoing problems a bit... Immortal chess looks to be finished for now..Now to follow that successful attack up we have a second successful attack against the MZ Forum (Marco's site)... mostly I would view the site for the latest SugaR developments ..and he was doing interesting work in Android compiles and also with NN and some MCTS stuff..site has been around for at least 3-4 years and was mostly his SugaR material some private releases and Eman and some various SF clones and other personal compiles like Shashchess and many others...Even the occasional new release. Seems the Hackers Have a big advantage...What Big Fish will be NEXT? One wonders... :) :wink:

kramnik
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:21 pm
Full name: Massimiliano Goi
Contact:

Re: https://mzchessforum.altervista.org

Post by kramnik » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:01 pm

It depends also by the hosting, altervista is a free one, so not so good. Hackers attempted with my site too, but it has gone bad for them as the company on my back is rock solid, plus backups are made on a schedule by the Bluehost VPS staff.
An sql administrator must always be careful with scripting server sided query language because of injections (and ot seems that happened for mzchess), plus always update the server operating system and software and not put easy to guess passwords.

Aleksei
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:14 pm
Full name: Aleksei

Re: https://mzchessforum.altervista.org

Post by Aleksei » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:14 am

Ovyron wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:46 pm
Are you now accusing me of never thanking? What was I doing in this post, then?
These were rhetorical questions,i don't blame you for anything. :lol:
Ovyron wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:46 pm
Where's the contradiction? I'm arguing about what is sharing, that you shouldn't demand stuff from people when you share, because then it becomes "begware" (you do it because you want something in return), and for the rights of people to thank in a post instead of having to use an imposed artificial "thanking" system (don't confuse a Thank button with gratitude, anyone can press the thank button even if they're not grateful), and for people to stop labeling people with stuff like "sharers and grabbers" and then making others feel bad if they don't share even if they don't know their situation.

The point where you become a sharer at MZ Chess was arbitrary anyway, you need to share 10 things to be able to see attachments, so apparently even people that shared 9 things are still "grabbers" :shock:
LOL, you still don't get the point. :shock:
1) Nobody forces you, demands, asks or begs, to say or press the thank you button.. If you are too lazy or do not want to, then do not do this. End of story..

2) Sorry for what I'm going to say, but I'm an old school man. And I believe that you belong to grabbers (you reason like them). Even in real life, you need not only to take, but also to give, (unless you are selfish). :lol: If you still do not understand what I mean, then this is your problem.
Еnd of the discussion.

Post Reply