google quantum computer

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dann Corbit

Re: google quantum computer

Post by Dann Corbit »

Google did the deep mind stuff. That was real science and we are heads over heels in love with it now.
Look at all the LC0 and other spin-offs from the ideas, originally from Matthew Lai.
I have lots of GPUs and I plan to get a machine that can hold at least four of them on my next purchase (I am guessing a WX80 motherboard AMD Threadripper 64 core 3rd Gen).

Quite frankly, it is a spectacular time in the stream of history to be alive.
Yes, Google may exaggerate some claims like every other big business does. And that is not good. But they do produce real innovation, including the manufacture of their own TPU units. That's a brave venture.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
towforce

Post by towforce »

Dann Corbit wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:16 pm Google did the deep mind stuff. That was real science and we are heads over heels in love with it now.
Look at all the LC0 and other spin-offs from the ideas, originally from Matthew Lai.
I have lots of GPUs and I plan to get a machine that can hold at least four of them on my next purchase (I am guessing a WX80 motherboard AMD Threadripper 64 core 3rd Gen).

Quite frankly, it is a spectacular time in the stream of history to be alive.
Yes, Google may exaggerate some claims like every other big business does. And that is not good. But they do produce real innovation, including the manufacture of their own TPU units. That's a brave venture.

Among other good things they've done, Google have contributed a huge amount of high quality software to open source. Operating systems, TensorFlow, OR Tools, browser software... the list is endless!
Writing is the antidote to confusion.
It's not "how smart you are", it's "how are you smart".
Your brain doesn't work the way you want, so train it!
shrapnel

Post by shrapnel »

Dann Corbit wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:16 pmI have lots of GPUs and I plan to get a machine that can hold at least four of them on my next purchase (I am guessing a WX80 motherboard AMD Threadripper 64 core 3rd Gen).
Really ? That's awesome. I managed to get hold of a 2nd ASUS 2080 Ti and installed it on my ASUS X99-A MB with great difficulty, but the HEAT produced by two 2080 Tis running together is terrible, to say the least !
I'm just about managing by leaving open one Chassis door and running a Table Fan and all System Fans at max.
Still while running lc0, GPU-Z indicates that Temperature is hitting 88°C and I suspect Throttling is occurring .
Still, lc0 simply LOVES the two 2080 Tis and am getting awesome Knps and am rarely beaten anymore by even players using the latest Stockfish DV.....waiting for better NNs, just a matter of time.
Can't afford a new MB right now, spent too much already....
i7 5960X @ 4.1 Ghz, 64 GB G.Skill RipJaws RAM, Twin Asus ROG Strix OC 11 GB Geforce 2080 Tis
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

shrapnel wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:06 am
Dann Corbit wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:16 pmI have lots of GPUs and I plan to get a machine that can hold at least four of them on my next purchase (I am guessing a WX80 motherboard AMD Threadripper 64 core 3rd Gen).
Really ? That's awesome. I managed to get hold of a 2nd ASUS 2080 Ti and installed it on my ASUS X99-A MB with great difficulty, but the HEAT produced by two 2080 Tis running together is terrible, to say the least !
I'm just about managing by leaving open one Chassis door and running a Table Fan and all System Fans at max.
Still while running lc0, GPU-Z indicates that Temperature is hitting 88°C and I suspect Throttling is occurring .
Still, lc0 simply LOVES the two 2080 Tis and am getting awesome Knps and am rarely beaten anymore by even players using the latest Stockfish DV.....waiting for better NNs, just a matter of time.
Can't afford a new MB right now, spent too much already....
If you plan to put that much heat generating stuff in a box, you have to plan for the rest of it.
For instance, 1.5KW power supply, bare minimum. (250W Each for the supers, 280W for the CPU, then RAM, Disk, etc).
Liquid cooling for CPU, and all 4 GPUs.
Lots of large capacity fans for the box.
Active cooling for the computer room.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.