google quantum computer

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Daniel Shawul

google quantum computer

Post by Daniel Shawul »

https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/23/209 ... -milestone

Google has announced its quantum processor that is able to do what used to take 10,000 year in just 200 seconds.
I am not knowledgeable enough to judge the validity of this claim, but IBM, for instance, says the job only takes 2.5 days on conventional computer...
Maybe a real breakthrough is achieved since it is now published in Nature with a claim of "quantum supermacy" achieved.

And yes it is 42!
Daniel Shawul

Re: google quantum computer

Post by Daniel Shawul »

Yikes, just learned IBM was talking about the "Summit supercomputer" when they said it takes 2.5 days... salty much?!
Ofcourse since they built Summit, they want to use this opportunity to divert undeserved attention to Summit instead of the real
breakthrough -- if that indeed what it is.
smatovic
Full name: Srdja Matovic

Post by smatovic »

Thanks.

They say they are still (just?) a decade away from real world applications.

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/6146 ... ar-pichai/

--
Srdja

PS: that is how 53 qubit look like....

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2019/10 ... &auto=webp
Last edited by smatovic on Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
towforce

Post by towforce »

Daniel Shawul wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:01 pmGoogle has announced its quantum processor that is able to do what used to take 10,000 year in just 200 seconds. I am not knowledgeable enough to judge the validity of this claim, but IBM, for instance, says the job only takes 2.5 days on conventional computer...

2.5 days is 216,000 seconds, so still a good speed up.

Unfortunately, chess is MUCH too big a problem to model on today's quantum computers.
Writing is the antidote to confusion.
It's not "how smart you are", it's "how are you smart".
Your brain doesn't work the way you want, so train it!
Zenmastur

Post by Zenmastur »

I wouldn't trust a Google announcement as far as I could throw it. Sounds like their marketing department is at it again.

Regards,

Zenmastur
Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you.....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
ernest

Post by ernest »

Wasn't there such an announcement by Google just a month ago, and a disclaimer followed ?
dannyb
Full name: Daniel Bennett

Post by dannyb »

ernest wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:03 pm Wasn't there such an announcement by Google just a month ago, and a disclaimer followed ?
the paper was published on NASA's site and immediately removed (probably because it was not yet peer-reviewed?)
smatovic
Full name: Srdja Matovic

Post by smatovic »

One thing is for sure, you can not stop the race for Quantum Computer Supremacy with China and the US (and Europe?) investing in technology for quantum computer based decryption methods (Shor's algorithm).

--
Srdja
dragontamer5788
Full name: Percival Tiglao

Post by dragontamer5788 »

towforce wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:10 pm
Daniel Shawul wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:01 pmGoogle has announced its quantum processor that is able to do what used to take 10,000 year in just 200 seconds. I am not knowledgeable enough to judge the validity of this claim, but IBM, for instance, says the job only takes 2.5 days on conventional computer...

2.5 days is 216,000 seconds, so still a good speed up.

Unfortunately, chess is MUCH too big a problem to model on today's quantum computers.
Step #1 is to create a quantum chess algorithm.

For example, Shor's algorithm is the quantum algorithm for factoring large numbers: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shor%27s_algorithm. Quantum computers aren't "faster", they just allow for some operations that don't exist in traditional computers. As such, quantum computers might be faster, in some cases.
Leo
Full name: Leo Anger

Post by Leo »

Zenmastur wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:50 pm I wouldn't trust a Google announcement as far as I could throw it. Sounds like their marketing department is at it again.

Regards,

Zenmastur
I also do not trust Google.
Advanced Micro Devices fan.